Customer Overpayments and the Customer/Job Functionality

Options
Harry Moyer
Harry Moyer Member Posts: 1
edited September 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I have a question that hopefully the community can help me with.  I use the Customer/Functionality in Reckon Accounts extensively.  The customer/job hierarchy is used for mainly for management reporting.  In other words invoicing and payments in theory are sent and received at the Customer level and not the job level.

Recently I recorded two overpayments against a customer.  These overpayment show up everywhere in Reckon Accounts:  Customer Center Balance, Statements, Customer Open Balance Reports.  However, the one place its does not show up is when I receive a payment from a customer.  The amount shown in the "Open Balance" is the Amount without the over payments being applied.  For example the overpayments are of $5000.00.  And the "true" amount owed by the customer is $7000.00.  In the open balance report, Customer Centre Balance, Statements,  $7000.00 is the number shown.  However, when I go to receive payments, the balance owed is displayed as $12,000.00 ($5000 + $7000).   I am stuck a to how to apply this overpayments to the next payment.  I feel that this must have something to do with my use of Customers/Jobs.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Harry Moyer

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hello Harry,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Your overpayment is being held as an unapplied credit for the account.  Reports that show the total obligation of your customer, all transactions are totalled.  In invoice specific reports each unapplied item will be listed separately.  It sounds like you have an open invoice for 12,000 and an unapplied credit for 5,000 for a net obligation of 7,000.

On the Customer Payment form, highlight the invoice to which you wish to apply the credit and click on the Credits button at the bottom right.  Select the credit you wish to apply and you will see a Credits Column open on the form and the amount of the credit you selected.  Leave the Payment column at 0.00 and click on Save & Close.  The outstanding balance on the invoice will now reduce to the net amount (7,000).  The credit has been applied.  

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John.