Data migration from Reckon Accounts Premier 2016

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
We currently have 3 companies running in Reckon Accounts Premier 2016 (desktop). Is there an easy data migration path if we wanted to switch to the Hosted version?
Also, we run payroll (Premier) as separate modules for 2 of these companies. 
How does this fit in to the Hosted version - would the payroll entities be separate as they are now, or would they merge with the Accounts companies in the new Hosted version?
Photo of Greg Tenni

Greg Tenni

• 344 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Luke

Luke, Employee

• 4,154 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hi Greg,

Moving from Reckon Accounts Premier desktop to Hosted is pretty seamless. It's just a matter of uploading your data files onto our servers. Very quick and easy.

Please note though, if you are wanting to go to Hosted, please ensure you have a stable and speedy internet connection. If not, we would recommend staying on desktop.

With Payroll Premier and Hosted, you can continue to use both, but it's going to be a matter of uploading the IIF file from Payroll Premier to our servers each time you want payroll information to be imported into Reckon Accounts. Otherwise, it may be a good idea to start using the payroll function within Reckon Accounts.

Luke.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 53,036 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Be aware of you want to go back it is extremely difficult. Why dont you set up a trial for a few days?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Not at all Kev, going back isn't difficult at all, but it is costly as you now have to user Reckon Accounts Enterprise rather than Accounts Premier.

Simple as installing RA Enterprise, and downloading the Hosted data file. Away you go!
Photo of Kevin Russell

Yes at all Andrew. Whom wants Enterprise when Premier or Small business plus will do?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Sometimes you don't have a choice, We use enterprise to overcome a product limit that is artificially applied to lower versions!
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andrew and not many businesses need a million items. Its an artificial restriction which hinders the client from reverting to desktop. Hosted can be a very different user experience based on all types of variables. And there is no way of knowing this in advance.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

But the artificial limit isn't a million items on lower versions, its ~16k items. Which isn't that 'big' these days. So your claim that "not many businesses need a million items" is irrelevant, lots of people need more than 16k but way under 1M.

The fact that Enterprise can go to a million, shows how low the limit has been set!

With the lack of 'enhancements' happening across all versions of RA, maybe its time that Reckon just rolled them into one product sku.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Agree and 16000 is still better than the 5000 it used to be. It occurs to me that woukd be an easy fix
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

True its a easy fix, but Reckon wants to 'upsell' users to a more costly SKU. Its just pure cream!

For us, even if lower versions get an item limit raise, it'll be a pain to move back to a lower version. New datafile, lots of pain etc.

So our next data move, won't be to a lower version of Reckon Accounts to save a few dollars. Its not always about the price, but more features (or lack of them)
Photo of Kevin Russell

Except the difference in cost between Premier an Enterprise is vast. I know Enterprise is "optimized" for Server environment but Ive never noticed any difference between Premier and Enterprize working on Server
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

It's the same code base, just sold at a cheaper price and crippled ;)

So yes, I would think they should behave the same
Photo of Kevin Russell

Wow.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Why, you think otherwise big Kev?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 91,926 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This thread has deviated off-topic from the original question a fair bit but just to add before it's closed.
Reckon Accounts Enterprise is a version which comes in with a level of features and functionality which a number of small/medium businesses may not require or want. As Jason has said in his post below, it's horses for courses. 

Rolling all versions into one SKU would then mean forcing a section of users to pay for a version which comes with features they won't ever use or need.
(Edited)
Photo of Melinda Jane Koth

Melinda Jane Koth

• 1,096 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Why are you going to Reckon Hosted, why don't you look at other products Myob or Xero. Reckon Hosted is so behind the times with Bank Data feeds and OCR Invoicing & Add on's. It doesn't really add any benefit to your business
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 52,906 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Mel I can think of a few VERY good reasons. 1. Functionality 2. Expense 3. Cost of migration 4 training in new system 5 loss off history data. I will allow the bank feed in Hosted isnt too flash which is why I import my own qif files. Have you looked at Reckon One? Its VERY good. Fyi I use all the other systems and there is no way I would recommend shifting unless you have a very good reason. It requires a full cost venefit analysis not a recommendation from an accountant who is probably getting kickbacks. Happy new year
Photo of Jason Hollis

Jason Hollis, Head of Product

• 10,288 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
As a response:

It's horses for courses and one shoe does not fit all. A feature such as bank data and OCR isn't always #1 on the list of helpful features for a business, yet for an accountant or bookkeeper they are a priority as they help increase productivity and as a consequence average hourly rates.

For example, my parents own business tracks $ spent on Customers and Jobs - every bill (and every bill line) that sits under COGS has a job code assigned - to this day OCR has not cracked that nut for us.

Bank rules in Reckon Hosted is something I embraced this year, and it has helped me enter a few transactions faster such as variant electricity bills, however memorised transactions still make up the bulk of our data entry efficiences. Again its horses for courses. 

Other Reckon Hosted differentiating factors include:
  • Unlimited company (data) files at no extra cost
  • Unlimited payroll for employees (no employee limits)
  • Own your own data (backup / restore offline / keep forever at no charge)
  • 1,000,000 list entries meaning you'll never hit a list size limit
  • Unlimited API (add-on) connections and API calls (limited with many competitors)
  • Best job costing in this space
  • 230+ reports
As for bank feeds and bank data management, cloud applications will always do a better job than a desktop product as they are built around this functionality. So on that front I would agree with Melinda. Therefore I would suggest a better comparison to Xero for example around bank data would be Reckon One, our cloud app. We don't pitch Hosted against Reckon One, or indeed those who sit around the Reckon One level.

Again, Reckon Accounts Hosted is targeted at a different market, and should be viewed in terms of what your business requires.

Around add-ons, it is important to note that Reckon Accounts Hosted has had an API for 6 months. The competitors noted have had an API for several years, and indeed have utilised the add-on eco-system to cover functionality gaps. As Reckon Hosted is our 'Enterprise' version the reliance on add-ons has not been as relevant.

That said, our desktop Enterprise application has over 550 add-ons, so we are definitely focusing on those partners at the moment to bring them on to Hosted. In fact we have 80+ developers signed up already - 3 of those are OCR / automated data entry players from AU, the US and UK.

Finally, an apology to Greg as his initial question has sparked another conversation, however I felt it was important to point out some of the facts so that other forum users have a somewhat detailed response to Melinda's post.

Kind regards,
Jason

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.