DATA RECOVERY: How to set number of previous companies opened in No Company Open screen for Reckon A

Options
Datarec_ReckonLtd
Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,063 Reckon Staff
When viewing the list of previously opened company files or the No Company Open screen, you can choose to set the number of previously opened files being displayed.

First, choose and click the company name to select one of the existing company files on the list

Then click the Open button and login with the appropriate login credentials

Once the file is open successfully, click on the File menu

Select Open Previous Company

Select Set number of previous companies...

Enter the new value and click the OK button

If you want to erase all the currently listed company names in that list, then set the value to 1.
Then go through the process again and set it to your new preferred value.

Regards,

Data Recovery Team

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Whilst that is a ready solution for somebody who has never set the number of companies before, it does not overcome the problem which many of us face each year following an upgrade.  This is where, despite going through the process you have outlined, the system refuses to recognise the number set and will only list the last company.  It then requires one to have to go the the Knowledge Base, search and look up what is now very long outdated instructions (they still date back to 2012/13 and refer to QuickBooks having a temporary difficulty.)  Well, after seven years, why is this "temporary difficulty" still occurring.  It is an annoying problem which affects desktop users.
    John L G
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi John,

The instruction shown is designed to show only the process of setting the number of previous companies, not to solve the other issue you are describing.

Are you currently experiencing this problem on the Hosted platform?
    We've tested this on our Hosted account and have not been able to reproduce the problem.

We can see that we can change the number of previous companies to be displayed and can sequentially open files and they get added to the list.

They are also added to the QBW.INI file that is on the Hosted Q: drive.

Regards,

Data Recovery Team
  • John Graetz
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Sorry, I should have been more specific.  The problem that I have outlined only affects the desktop versions, as far as I am aware.  I don't believe that I have ever had the problem in the Hosted environment, but it certainly seems to crop up each year for the desktop versions.

More than one person has raised this issue on the forum, relating to the desktop versions.  It is annoying that despite the KB article stating that this is a temporary difficulty (going back to at least 2012/13 and likely many years before that), and, yes it is temporary difficulty, until we go through the process of resolving it, and it happens each year without fail, as far as I am concerned, following the upgrading to the next annual version.

John L G
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi John,

Based on that KB article https://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4490 mentioning that the solution is to launch the software at least once as the local Windows Administrator, then this may be related to the access level of the logged-in Windows user.

Consider next time when you are installing the software to run the installer as the local Windows Administrator to see if this makes a difference for you.

Regards,

Data Recovery Team

• John Graetz
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Ok.  Thanks for that.  I will try and remember and will keep a copy of this for reference purposes and see how it goes.
    John L G
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi John,

Can you check to see whether the Windows User login you are using when you encounter the problem is a Power User or Standard User, etc.

So if for example the user login being used in Windows is for a Standard User and it experiences that problem, then if say you created a new user which is in the Administrator group or a Power User, does installing the software when logged in as that newly created user resolve the issue.

Regards,

Data Recovery Team
  • John Graetz
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I am a single user on a standalone computer.  I cannot replicate the screen that you have shown, but searching shows that I am set up as an Administrator.  I will follow through next year as I will probably still have more than one desktop file at that time.

Regards - John L G
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited October 2019
    Options
    That screen is a Windows 7 User Accounts dialog window.

Here is the Windows 10 user account screen.

This may also be useful for you if you want to setup the application shortcut to run as an Administrator.
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/standard-users-run-program-admin-rights/

Regards,

Data Recovery Team

• John Graetz
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks.  I did see that.  I already setup as Administrator.  I cannot reach the link you have included.  I would imagine that what you are suggesting would be the same as right clicking on the program icon and selecting "run as administrator".
    Regards.  John L G 
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited October 2019
    Options
    It gives the same effect as right-click and Run As Administrator, just puts the flag in the shortcut so that you don't need to keep right-clicking every time.

• John Graetz
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Ok.  Appreciate you providing this info.
    Regards  John L G