different rate and rdo setup

MPP
MPP Member Posts: 7
edited August 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi,

I am using Accounts Hosted. We are going to use RDO and would like help with setup for wages with more then one normal rate due different jobs (normal and onsite rate). I was thinking to take 2 hours of normal rate in $ from 40 hour even paid onsite rate and pay difference as well so when worker takes RDO I always use just normal pay (so only one rate is used to pay RDO). What is the best way to do it or do you have other suggestions. 

Comments

• MPP
    edited August 2020
    My issue can be split into hours and money. I created RDO (same as other leaves) for accruing without coeficient due different weekly hours. Also I have payroll item RDO without accruing leaves and super just for monitoring hours, no rate.

I believe I can overcome different rates by paying difference on pay when RDO is accrued, I add adjustment to cover difference between RDO rate paid (which is going to be normal rate, always the same)  and onsite rate where RDO hours were taken from. I hope it make sense.

Then when worker takes RDO, he is paid his normal rate to accrue leaves and super taken not paid before.
  • JudyA
    JudyA Member Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hi MPP,

I use RDO's in Reckon Hosted by using two payroll items:
    RDO Deduct, and
    RDO Taken

Our employees work a 36 hour week, so work 40 hours and have 4 hours deducted each week to go towards their RDO's.  The rate of the deduction could be set to your normal hours rate, as this is what you are going to pay them at.
    When they have an RDO, I use the RDO Taken payroll item and pay them 8 hours.  The RDO deduct item is still used that week as well.

So on a week without a RDO taken, their pay would look like this:
    Normal hours 40 x hourly rate
    RDO Deduct -4 x hourly rate.

On a week with a RDO taken, their pay would look like this:
    Normal hours 32 x hourly rate
    RDO Taken 8 hours x hourly rate
    RDO Deduct -4 x hourly rate.

The RDO accrues under Other Leave 1, which I have renamed RDO.  This should then be able to show on their payslips.

The two RDO payroll items are linked to liability accounts, and don't appear in the P&L at all, with one exception.  At the end of each financial year, I journal the liability account to a payroll item in the P&L so that my yearly figures balance.

I hope that helps.

Judy
  • JudyA
    JudyA Member Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Thanks Kevin.  I thought when I read the question that the RDO would be paid at the normal rate regardless of the onsite rate that is sometimes paid to the employee.  The way I do our RDO's would get around this issue because the accrual rate can be set to whatever rate needed.  I'm not sure why the accrual rate needs to be different anyway if the paid out rate will always be at the normal rate.  If the RDO's are set up so that they are separate from the other rates of pay, it makes the system fairly easy.  RDO's accumulate on all sorts of payroll items, like annual leave, personal leave etc, so it's easier if they are separate.  That's what I was trying to get across to MPP; perhaps not very well.

Judy

• MPP
    edited August 2020
    Hi,

thanks for your contributions. I think Judy's suggestion solve my problems. I will setup RDO deduct and RDO paid with normal rate. This will definitely solve difference in normal and onsite rates. It itsn't practical to have 2 different RDO rates but also employee can't miss out on their money.

Now I need to dig in for holiday and sick leave accruals and super.