Disable "This document is trying to print. Do you want to allow this?"

• Question
  • Updated 2 days ago
  • Answered
Is there a way to disable the feature when downloading Invoices to PDF:

"This document is trying to print.  Do you want to allow this?"

I don't want Adobe Reader to ask this question each time I wish to open the invoice.  Is there a way to disable this feature?
Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 11 months ago

Does the last entry of this Adobe article help you?
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1937433

Gary

Photo of Sharon McNamara

Sharon McNamara

• 60 Points
I'm having the same problem as Cindy, and unfortunately this doesn't fix the problem at my end either.  Thanks anyway.  Sharon.
Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

Alas no this article doesn't help, but thanks anyway Gary Pope.  This appears to be a Reckon setting and not an Adobe setting as other PDF's I've saved outside of Reckon do not ask to print when I open the file......
Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

Thanks again Gary, and I saw this article before I posted my question.  Alas this doesn't assist either ;-(
Hmmm - I'm not experiencing that question when I run in Google Chrome to RAH and print an invoice.  It prepares a PDF which gets downloaded to the Chrome nominated folder locally on my PC, and I then click that downloaded file to view the PDF with my local PDF viewing program (in your case, I'd expect that to be ADOBE PDF Reader).   

Perhaps compare the version of the browser you and I are using.  I'm using Google Chrome Version 66.0.3359.181 (Official Build) (64-bit).   I will admit,  I'm running Unix (Debian) as my operating system,  not Windows.   But I do feel this is some setting of the (Chrome) browser.

In my case,  I have this process in place:

Open PDFs in Chrome
  1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  4. Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
  5. Near the bottom, click PDF documents.
  6. Turn off Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome.
Despite the wording of (6),  my invoices from RAH do in fact download and arrive in my local browser's download folder area, visible by a line appearing at the foot of the browsers session, with the name of the PDF file, which I then CLICK, and up comes the invoice in tha PDF viewing program separate window (using a PDF viewing APP, like Adobe Reader, if it were Windows).

Perhaps you could elaborate on the behaviour you observe, and what brand & version of  BROWSER you are running,  what operating system version, and what PDF reading program ?

Gary

Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Gary, I did as you suggested and alas when I opened the PDF from my download folder, it still came up with the "This document is trying to print.  Do you want to allow this?" message.

I'm using the Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) of Chrome, Windows 7 and Adobe Reader.....
Cindy.   The message you want to disable, occurs long after the RAH aspect of the process is finished. The PDF image of the invoice has left RAH and has been stored locally on your PC by the browsers (your Chrome v71...).  So tell me, just to get this isolated to Chrome, perhaps,  do you also have the same issue with any other PDF file that you've downloaded from the internet (PDF file that is).

More to the point,  the way you describe the situation, please confirm, the PDF file is already downloaded.  It is AFTER that phase, that you say you  'opened the PDF from my download folder...'   and THAT is the point when the warning is happening.  What I'm curious about,  is that if you are just OPENING (I'd interpret that is wanting to simply VIEW the document at that point),  then how does your computer know that you intend to subsequently print it?  IE:  You' haven't determined any 'print' command at that point. 

Sure,  way back at the point that you were on RAH and seeking to print the 'invoice',  there was a process initiated that ended up  a PDF being created and sent to your PC into the download folder.  Whjat seems amius here,  is that once the PDF document arrives,  all things STOP at that point, until you try to 'open it'.    If you don't try that manual 'open' phase,  than nothing happens at all - you just have a new PDF document sitting in your local download folder.

SO the subsequent action of 'opening' it,   why does that not simply VIEW the document, as you haven;t initiated any print request at that point.

Sorry to labour the points here,  but there question requires us all to understand at what point the error message is being initiated.

Can you elaborate of comment on my understanding so far?

Particularly, to compare your experience with other PDF operations (not related to Reckon) so we can deduce any differences going on.

Gary
Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

Gary.  I only receive this message when I've downloaded a PDF from Reckon.  Opening a PDF that's been downloaded from another source (not related to Reckon) does not give this message.
Good - we're closer to pinpointing the combinations now - thanks for clarifying that.

I'm wondering if it something to do with the SOURCE of where that PDF file is coming from perhaps - as a trusted SOURCE or a TRUSTED document.

Gary
Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

Reckon is the SOURCE of where the PDF is coming from and being downloaded from....
Hmmm   - I've just setup a Windows 7 rig to try with Chrome v70 (sorry didn't upgrade to 71),  and set the chrome feature to just open (not download) PDF,  and when I ask RAH to print the invoice,  it prepares a PDF-like image and fetches it from the RAH site, and opens another TAB in Chrome displaying the invoice with a prompt for me to select the local printer my end (default is nice...) and then I simply click the 'print' button to that, and paper arrives. 

I retied on my Unix rig too with that older Chrome, and set to open not download PDF,  and same good result.

Seeing as it is only RECKON site that is causing this issue,  have we explored the idea of other sites allowing immediate print?   

Try this really old example to see if it simply downloads to a PDF and allows you to CTL+P   prints for you....
http://www.alchester.com.au/download/adsl_speed_test.pdf

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

Thanks for the efforts you've done so far, Gary.  I'm thinking that perhaps I haven't been clear enough in my communication.  The issue is when I download a PDF from Reckon, save it to my local PC, it will always ask the question ("This document is trying to print." etc) when ever I open up the PDF.  I can open it up tomorrow and it will still ask the printing question.  This doesn't happen with any other PDF's that I download from other sources.  It's only happening with PDF's downloaded from Reckon.  So it seems to me to be some setting within Reckon that is putting this printing message on the PDF when its downloaded?
Reading up on possibilities my end....   It seems the PDF's made by RAH  are trying to perform an immediate 'print' process, whenever the user finally OPENs the file (ie:  it wants to print regardless, and hopefully silently,  even when just opening it.)   Some examples of the intent here started in Jan 2018 with this article,.

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view_print.asp?ID=5625

However, in your case,  you are NOT running MS Internet Explorer.  You are running Google CHROME as your browser.   

I'm still not aware from you,  what VERSION of Adobe you are running.  Is it v8+  or 9+  or Adobe X  ?? 

Because there is this interesting article that explains the 'intent of automatically, silently printing'  from an IBM Maximo point of view - different application, but same predicament that you have.     refer:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21611335

From all this,  I'm gaining the opinion that a PDF file may have a Javascript content component that forces an automatic PRINT operation to occur, when the PDF is opened by the user in the end (like your 'tomorrow it is the same issue ...'  situation.

For these reason, I go back to the original suggestion ......  about checking the status of the registry values at the foot of this article:   (but adjust them for the VERSION of Adobe you are actually running....!)
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265372

Gary

Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

I'm running Adobe Reader XI....and after reading through the articles you've mentioned, I don't understand what settings I need to change?  Isn't it something within Reckon itself that's causing this issue?
Not necessarily - it takes both end of the game to play the game.  The reckon end is creating a PDF file with a 'tag' so to speak, to instruct the browser at your local end to get the PDF to be printed as soon as you open it.  This is meant to be done 'silently'  at your local end (ie: without the annoying prompt screen you are concerned about).  At your end, you are using a BROWSER as well as an ADOBE PDF Viewing program.  Those two programs are meant to work in harmony with each other, based on the settings in your operating system's REGISTRY.  So there are three things happening at your end and they can all vary, based on the versions you are running of the Browser, the Adobe progam, and the operating system settings in the registry.  That is,  assuming all the programs are in fact running OK.   And you can adjust the 'silent' running aspect of all this,  as seen in the various articles I've been finding today.

The tests I've done at my end with my unique combination of browser version, Adobe version and the  state of my WIndows 7 registry is one man's combination' as you can see.    And you are running Windows 7,  Adobe XI and Chrome v71  with wahtever personailsed settings are on those programs.

Whenever an upgrade or change or introduction of some other aspect of your system is made,  then these combinations of settings can be affected, and result in a different outcome  - all that is possible too.   It is a matter of trying to find what setting is prompting the MESSAGE to appear,  rather than it printing 'silently' (with the message appearing).

I'm just explaining this from a different point of view so that it may help you or others watching,   to see if they are aware of a 'fix' too.

Based on running the whole process at my end,  I see no fault in all this,  if I have the setting in CHROME cause the invoice to arrive in a print screen window in the BROWSER, rather than as a DOWNLOADED file that sits on my machine like you do.  So from that point of view, I feel the RAH end is doing its job OK.

crux of it all as I see it.

In your case,  you have CHROME set to DOWNLOAD the file to your download folder initially,  and then when you elect (now or tomorrow say,)  to OPEN that PDF file,   then the 'tag' that wants to initiate PRINTING, is discovered, and tries to print,  but takes the caution to ask you if this is what you want to do.   

When you make any CHROME changes  or REGISTRY changes,  sometimes Microsoft systems require the PROGRAM (ie: Chrome) to be totally exited and restarted.  And sometimes, some REGISTRY entries don't fully get activated until the next reboot of the whole system.    Please be mindful of that matter, as it can confuse testing processes....

Sorry I'm no closer, but  perhaps understanding what is going on from RAH,  with the file/transfer, and with the Browser/Adobe/System  will help pinpoint a solution soon.

Gary

Photo of Daniel James

Daniel James

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Let me know if you ever find a solution to the issue Gary as I'm very lost with your explanation above.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 52,130 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Nope
Photo of Daniel James

Daniel James

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same problem. I download a copy of all my invoice I generate and save it to my computers local drive. When I then need to open any of my saved invoice PDF's I have to select NO to a "do you want to print" question. 

It must be a Recon setting as it only occurs to PDF files I download through the Recon Accounts portal and is very frustrating.

Photo of Robyn Kelly (Partner)

Robyn Kelly (Partner), Accredited Partner

• 5,022 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I just went to the Adobe website and searched for "This document is trying to print. Do you want to allow this?".  It seems this is a security setting within Adobe that cannot be changed.  I too would like to be able to disable it.

Regards, Robyn Kelly
Hi Robyn. It is possible as I've got two networks not experiencing the issue, but not sure why so, yet.
Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

Hi Everyone. I've found a solution!  Instead of clicking the download icon (after clicking Print from Reckon), I chose the Print icon, selected save to PDF and wulla!  The warning message has now gone.....yippeee!

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 52,130 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Voila? It means BEHOLD! Happy new year
(Edited)
Photo of Leisha S

Leisha S

• 686 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

That's all??!! Are you serious? Has been such a pain in the a#*e - Thank you Cindy!!!
Reckon, best you add that 'simple' solution to your library!
Photo of Cindy Pellas

Cindy Pellas

• 62 Points
You are very welcome Leisha! ;-)
Photo of Erica Johannsen

Erica Johannsen

• 62 Points
Is there another alternative to this?  If I print to pdf the quality of my logo goes to pot.  'save as' keeps the logo looking okay, but, 'print' makes it look terrible. 

And yes, I've looked at the quality settings for printing and even tried uploading a higher resolution logo image.  Printing to pdf looks terrible. 

And I'm pretty annoyed that the 'save as' button keeps popping up the 'this document is trying to print' message for both myself and my clients.

any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Photo of Erica Johannsen

Erica Johannsen

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

If you have Adobe Pro, there’s a work around. 

• Create the PDF and open it. 
  • Click on Tools and scroll down to JavaScript.
  • Click on Document JavaScripts and delete the one and only script then close.
  • Click save and that should have removed the pesky little printing pop-up.

Photo of Ben

Ben

• 534 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This does really suck. I have high level clients i deal with who use virus software that scans all documents for Java-scripts, so my quotes and invoices actually get stripped from my emails. So they don't get the Quote or Invoice.
On top of that....  who is printing invoices and quotes anyway. You download and email everything these days.
PS. No i dont use the email function in Reckon hosted, cos that sucks too :)
Photo of David Scott

David Scott

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I think you're clicking on the "download" button on the print screen, ie: from within the invoice > print > print, ...generating report..., > Cancel > Top right hand corner clicking download.  Creating a PDF this way creates the problem.
Instead, do this... from within the invoice > print > print, ... generating report..., > don't click cancel but change destination to "Save as PDF" > Save > give it a name and save it somewhere > now open it. Problem gone.
Photo of Ben

Ben

• 534 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Nope, not hitting DOWNLOAD. Thanks anyway.
Reckon have already admitted they wrote a Java script so all PDFs created will auto print. It's supposed to save a couple of clicks. But given we are all trying to be green and not print every document, I want to just create and send an electronic copy. But cant get rid of the ridiculous auto print. Best way i have found is print the electronic file to CutePDF, so I am literally generating a PDF from a PDF. But at least it gets rid of the auto-print. But adds a heap more clicks.
Photo of Stephanie

Stephanie, Accredited Partner

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have a client whose customer has emailed them with this issue when they try to open my client's invoices. My client is a Reckon Hosted user but their client isn't (I don't think). The issue has started happening recently after a Reckon update according to my client. Anyone heard of an update as to a fix for this annoying "feature?"