Does anyone know how to get quicken to update managed fund prices such as SCH0002AU or MAQ0410AU?

Peter Graycon
Peter Graycon Member Posts: 2

Comments

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited February 2017

There is a very simple answer to this.  NO !

The more detailed answer is that we can only get automatic updates of company codes that are available from the Reckon Aust. download site. I have been asking for an indication of what codes are supported but have not yet got a reasonable answer.

I suspect all that is supported is the ASX company codes. I am not sure of how extensive this list is.

As well as company codes, market indices were also supported by the Reckon US site, but it appears that since the change-over to the Reckon Australia price update site, these are not supported.

As far as I know, managed fund prices have never been supported. The only way is to download them yourself from the fund web site and import them into RPP using the .csv price import facility. You can use Excel to format them in a suitable .csv layout.

There has been a steady decline in what Reckon supports and their advice on future directions or improvement is very poor and quite discouraging.

It would be helpful if Reckon Aust. could document the price codes they will continue to support.

John

• gavin.nicholson.au
    gavin.nicholson.au Member Posts: 78
    edited January 2015
    I wrote web page scraper that formats all my managed funds into a format that I can put into a csv file and then import into quicken as John has indicated. That's the most automated way I could find!
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Most of the managed funds that I follow provide a price history, which can be imported into QPP via a spreadsheet for assembly then a formatted .csv file into QPP.

For those funds that do not have a unit price, but provide only an accumulated growth report, I have converted this into an equivalent unit price and converted my fund value into purchased units at their current price. This allows me to import the calculated fund unit price and report the revised fund value in the portfolio report. 

A typical set of superannuation transactions might be:

• Cash contribution added into account

• Fees associated with account operation subtracted from account

• 15% contribution tax subtracted from account

• Insurance premium subtracted from account.

• Net cash addition ( sum of above) is used to buy(sell) units at current calculated unit price.

• The resulting fund value reflects the latest cash addition plus the previous units held at the current calculated unit price. 

I do all the calculations and conversions in Excel first then transfer these buy/sell transactions into QPP.

I have done this for superannuation accounts, dating back to 2008 and achieve good accuracy in the reported value growth.

Periodically I need to adjust the price for some transactions to correct for minor errors. This typically applies to insurance premiums, account fees or 15% tax as the date when the fund applies these transactions to your account can vary. There can also be a spread in the buy/sell price which needs to be considered. I calculate the required unit price for these transactions to achieve the current reported fund value.

Again, most funds report some unit price or growth measure, which can be imported into excel and converted into a time varying unit price, which suits the QPP portfolio approach.

I am transferring a lot of my personal finance management into excel, while leaving QPP only as a transaction reporting tool. This has been due to QPP's lack of development and also it's US functionality focus. We are all waiting for a better local product !!

John