Editting Letter Templates in 2014

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Since upgrading to Hosted 2014 I am unable to edit the letter templates in accordance with the help screen instructions. Basically there is no Reckon Fields to add or alter the letters with. I have opened other letters to obtain the fields that I wish to have in my Supplier letter template. The must be a better way. The tools bars are locked down so the users can not operate the windows product as one would. Any thoughts?
Photo of Ronl50

Ronl50

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of vinia

vinia, Employee

• 1,114 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello Ronl50,

Thank you for using the Reckon Community.

Since we cannot integrate Microsoft office in the hosted because Microsoft Office requires a license  -  the letter cannot be edited. What you can do though is save the letter to your local computer and edit it. Then import it back to hosted. 

You can copy the file from the hosted by following the steps below: 

1. Make sure the letter is open
2. Click save and save the letter to the Q drive
3. Close the letter - and then click the File menu from the program
4. Click - open or restore an existing company
5. Click - open a company file (.QBW)
6. Look the the bottom and make sure "files of type" is set to "ALL FILES"
7. Look for the letter and right click it - it will then highlight the file
8. press CTRL+C from the keyboard
9. Then look at the top where it says "LOOK IN" change location to you local PC ( normally: C on (computer name) or local C on (computer name))
10. Then click the "users" folder
11. Click the folder for the computer Name
12. Click desktop - once you are looking into the desktop
13. please right click on a clear area just to make sure you are inside the desktop window
14. Press CTRL+V to paste the File
15. Then you can now open the letter and do your editing.

NOTE: putting it back to the Hosted - just follow the steps in reverse. So, from local PC to hosted.

You can also click on the links below, for a much detailed instruction on how to copy files from local computer to hosted and hosted to local computer.

link: http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4367

Photo of Julie

Julie

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I understand about downloading and uploading the file but as the original question asked "Basically there is no Reckon Fields to add or alter the letters with. I have opened other letters to obtain the fields that I wish to have in my Supplier letter template."   Where are the names of the data fields that are available to enter into the template?

Julie
Photo of RL

RL

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Could we publish a data dictionary so that users would be able to add the data fields to the updated letters as they require??
Photo of vinia

vinia, Employee

Hello Julie and RL,

Thank you for your queries, since the upgrade of hosted to V2. The function for Microsoft Office for other than required has been totally removed. Due to licensing with Microsoft - we can no longer provide office in our Hosted Environment.

Anything that involved Microsoft office - needs to be downloaded from the hosted to your local computer - edit the letter, the upload back to Hosted, then attached to the email you sent to your customer or you can send outside the hosted program.

Kind Regards,

Vinia Laguda

Reckon Technical Support

Photo of Julie

Julie

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Still doesnot answer the question about a data dictionary!!!!
Photo of RL

RL

I am happy to see that someone can understand the written word.
Photo of vinia

vinia, Employee

Hello Julie and RL,

Unfortunately, this data dictionary is not obtainable in the Australian version. The only way to edit a letter template is to download the letter, edit what you would like to edit in the letter template

Then upload it back to the hosted - and attached that. You can no longer import this edited letter as well. It will be just an ordinary letter that you can attach the email you sent to your supplier. This is one of the program limitations.

We would appreciate a "suggest new features" feedback from the help menu. This is for the product development team to consider in the next version release.

Hope this answer your query.

Kind Regards,

Vinia Laguda

Reckon Technical Support

Photo of Renee Scaddan-Nile

Renee Scaddan-Nile

• 1,926 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Another so called upgrade things are just getting better & better NOT. After 18 years using Reckon/Quickbooks have found another program.
Photo of Zaly Campbell

Zaly Campbell

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I too find this extremely irritating. The letters and envelopes functions were perfect before. i cannot understand the ridiculous upgrade that adds additional steps that are harder to follow and more work? Seems more like a down grade!! The same printing, exporting reports etc. This program should be getting better and more user friendly not the other way.
Photo of Denis Bourke

Denis Bourke

• 410 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I totally agree. I use the program for a not-for-profit organisation. It is vital for us to maintain contact with our supporters and donors, and being able to circulate chosen groups using form letter templates was excellent in the previous version. It seems moving to the Cloud costs us in functionality (I now need to use a separate data-base program for donor communications), and also I find that QB continually 'hangs up' or loses the internet connection. When we had our own clunky server we seldom had these problems. May be it is time we looked elsewhere, perhaps to NZ's home grown Xero??
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Denis, thanks for your post. Access to Microsoft Office suite was removed from Hosted due to Microsoft license conditions. This was a change that was regrettably necessary to remain compliant with Microsoft licensing terms. I understand you frustration and will escalate your concerns to the relevant Product Management team. Thank you for your feedback. ^Mirko

Photo of Denis Bourke

Denis Bourke

• 410 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mirko. Seems that people/organisations are all rushing to the Cloud without a detailed look at how their existing products and functionalities will be affected. I am not in IT but I would take a punt that QB has got to figure out Office365, which is Microsoft's Cloud version. Kinds like car manufacturers outsourcing gearbox design and then finding their cars' performance is compromised - with recalls, and brand changing by dissatisfied customers.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Denis, I'd love to shed more light but that is all I know. MS licensing does not allow for access to Office software through the Hosted platform due to licensing. I don't think it's a matter of integration, as it worked just like the Reckon Accounts and Native installation of Office would on a Desktop previously. It seems to be a licensing issue, again the finer details, I'm not privy too. Hope this clears things up a little!
Photo of RL

RL

Mirko,

I have kinda given up on this conversation. May I suggest to, make my point very clear, I will need a data dictionary (which has nothing to do with MS License) to enable myself and others who wish to do so, to pull data from the database like we did PRIOR to the change. This will allow us to send out letters to customers and suppliers as the times require. The issue at this point is that we will have to download the complete database, sort as required, scrub data and then we can use the letter templates that ARE installed in this product.

I am not sure why Reckon thinks that the data dictionary has ANTYTHING to do with a MS License.

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Thanks for that post RL, I was treating this as the original post regarding access to MS software withing Hosted. I'll shoot this comment through to our Developers and Product Managers to obtain a clear response. Cheers, Mirko.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.