email history

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I send a lot of reports via email from Reckon.  My question is - can I look at the history of sent emails.  They are not in my send box in Outlook.
thanks Lucy
Photo of Lucy D'Amico

Lucy D'Amico

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 52,130 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No. Next question.
Photo of Penne

Penne

• 644 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I bcc myself in to all invoices and reports that go out and then  I have a copy. Very slack of reckon not to have a inbox when it is a cloud based operation. But will add it to the wish list 
Photo of Kevin Russell

Penni the bcc won't tell you if it has been sent. Or most importantly if it has been received.
Photo of Jason Keable

Jason Keable

• 314 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As Kevin sort of replies, it won't tell you it has been received, BUT if you BCC or CC yourself in and receive the email then you can rest assured that it has at least traveled through the Reckon Accounts email server and has been attempted to be delivered to the recipients email address you used, however if the email address you are sending to is incorrect, has a problem or their mailbox is full then there is not a return notification of it not being delivered to the recipient.
This is a short fall in the system and i know the development team have been passed this information in relation to the email service they use and they have responded that they are aware of email problems.... this is not the only problem with the email system.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Jason but it won't tell you if the email address is valid. That's my point. It also won't tell you if it has been received.
Lucy

Apart from the proof of delivery aspect  (which would exist regardless),  Lucy's question of having some sort of history (at all)  could well be handled by a suggestion from fellow Partner:   Nathan Elcoate, (AP)  at the following link, coupled with his Outlook tip of gathering such email into a special folder (nice).
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/is_there_an_email_log_for_accounts_hosted

Granted the aspect of proof of delivery still remains,  becuase even if a BCC'd copy reaches yourself via one email traversal,  that does not prove that the supplier/customer/staff recipient got the 'TO:" copy. 

Partial solution.

Cheers

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)

"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"

Photo of Kevin Russell

Gary, not a solution. I always ALWAYS request a read receipt when I am sending invoices. Short of ringing every customer and asking if he received the email, there is no way to know if it was received at the other end. And isn't that the crucial point?
Photo of Gary Pope

Gary Pope

• 72 Points
Ask Lucy which problem she wants solved. Her question, or the added, and important add-ons question of a read receipt. To handle the latter, has been asked on other forum articles and is somewhat dependent on making HOSTED generate reply-to which would trigger a customer email result also reach an external mail account where results could be observed. So, as stated, partial solution, but a start for Lucy.
sorry above, written from phone,, incorrectly.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Garry mate it doesn't store a copy of the sent emails either. Just an observation.
Photo of Jason Keable

Jason Keable

The issue could be solved if Reckon Accounts used your own email service provider to administer all email correspondence, certainly not an over technical achievement. Many many software platforms use a third party and that being your own ( HINT- it's only a matter of coding in access to your imap or pop3 and smtp settings and username and password via an encrypted script that could be stored securely in reckon accounts and connected via an api), so really i don't see why this issue cannot be sorted with granted access from reckon accounts to access your email service. And yes Kevin i am fully aware of your point and that is the issue with the system currently in place.
Photo of Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant

Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant, Accredited Partner

• 13,102 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jason,
My limited understanding from a technical point of view is because this is a hosted service Reckon would need to supply each login with an outlook profile and so thus basically we would each need our own Outlook licence with each login. This would significantly increase the cost of the service which is why they have not done this.
The bcc is the best option in my opinion to at least know it has been sent. We used to get bounce back messages if it was rejected, and Reckon are looking at trying to re-implement this!
Kind regards,
Sally McIntosh (Sally@samsolutions.com.au)
Sally is close to the money here.   The HOSTED service is providding a "FRFOM" email address.   So, when an email has trouble reaching a recipient (or a BCC:), then ISP services should attempt to return a messaghe back to the "FROM address",  and if that FROM address is your own real email address, then the chance exists for the message to arrive back there. 

HOWEVER:  "From addresses"  are not necessarily "REPLY-TO" addresses.   These are two different aspects of email.   Sally is right about the 'outlook' matter.  But that there are other mail servers to consider,  and the underlying proprietary manner of how Reckon HOSTED is doing this,  is being queried presently.  IE:  What is the Amazon hosted environment really using for the outbound delivery of email, on behalf of the application?  And what parameters for

a)  a "Disposition Notification  To"    (ie: delivery receipts to be notified to who?
b)  and what email address those Notifications can be made to?
c)  and in addition, there is the BCC: field operation permitted in all templates,  but again,  (a) is desired to be in place,  so that some ability to identify arrival, is available.

Further looking under way!  Be interested to look more into Sally's 'bounce back' recollection too - that's promising!

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)

"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"

(Edited)
Summarising this forum topic plus TWO others that are impacted by email setup but more likely the underlying environment and its ability to deal with slow ISP mail connections at the tail end......

I've cross referenced this article to:  "HOSTED"
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/payslips-from-accounts-hosted-2015

and  this one from "ENTERPRISE"
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/cannot-email-payslips-from-reckon-account-enterprise

It would seem to me that the underlying issue on each platforms is as follows:
  • HOSTED needs the ability to set the "Disposition Notification To"   flag  to allow email delivery receipting to occur.  (or the equivalent for the Mail server softwre being called upon)
  • Both Enterprise and HOSTED   need to ensure that the MTA  (Email delivery agent - which varies by user, on Enterprise)  is setup to tolerate delays  (server timeouts due to anti-spam, anti-virus/malware, preflight path check time, exceeding a commonly undersized 30-60seconds for instance)  in delivery to poor/congested/slow mail servers like:  hotmail.com,  or trecipient mail servers on the tail ends of a slow or mexceiive hop traceeroute for instance.
  • The use of a BCC in both cases,  should also allow for the collection of templated invoices, orders, or Payslips to be collected at a personal email account.
    (This last point does not prove delivery to the business recipient, where an email receipt is a part solution,  but it would allow for tracking all OUTBOUND emails)

The point? 

a) Even if email receipting was activated and possible,  not all recipients actually send back a receipt

b) just because a BCC copy of an email reaches a personal mailbox,  is not proof that the other copy reached the business recipient, elsewhere on a variety of ISP networks and routes.

There is talk of some work being done for EMAIL,  as part of the June 2015 Tax Update,  but as to whether it addresses all these points to satisfy both products,  we await the feedback from PSG or Technical teams.

Gary
Summarising this forum topic plus TWO others that are impacted by email setup but more likely the underlying environment and its ability to deal with slow ISP mail connections at the tail end......

I've cross referenced this article to:  "HOSTED"
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/payslips-from-accounts-hosted-2015

and  this one from "ENTERPRISE"
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/cannot-email-payslips-from-reckon-account-enterprise

It would seem to me that the underlying issue on each platforms is as follows:
  • HOSTED needs the ability to set the "Disposition Notification To"   flag  to allow email delivery receipting to occur.  (or the equivalent for the Mail server softwre being called upon)
  • Both Enterprise and HOSTED   need to ensure that the MTA  (Email delivery agent - which varies by user, on Enterprise)  is setup to tolerate delays  (server timeouts due to anti-spam, anti-virus/malware, preflight path check time, exceeding a commonly undersized 30-60seconds for instance)  in delivery to poor/congested/slow mail servers like:  hotmail.com,  or trecipient mail servers on the tail ends of a slow or mexceiive hop traceeroute for instance.
  • The use of a BCC in both cases,  should also allow for the collection of templated invoices, orders, or Payslips to be collected at a personal email account.
    (This last point does not prove delivery to the business recipient, where an email receipt is a part solution,  but it would allow for tracking all OUTBOUND emails)

The point? 

a) Even if email receipting was activated and possible,  not all recipients actually send back a receipt

b) just because a BCC copy of an email reaches a personal mailbox,  is not proof that the other copy reached the business recipient, elsewhere on a variety of ISP networks and routes.

There is talk of some work being done for EMAIL,  as part of the June 2015 Tax Update,  but as to whether it addresses all these points to satisfy both products,  we await the feedback from PSG or Technical teams.

Gary
Photo of Lucy D'Amico

Lucy D'Amico

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Thanks for everyone's comments.  I have changed my Preferences to BCC myself.  I use the email feature like everyone else, payslips, remitances, invoices, etc - this is to email addresses that have been entered into the profile area.  Yes it would be useful to be able to see 'sent' emails.  Example - staff request copy payslips because they claim they did not receive.

My initial post was for this area - sending reports via email - to management and staff around the office.  This is where you have to type in the email address.  There is no way of knowing if it sent or you got the email wrong until the person requests the report from you again thinking you forgot. 

What about an automatic confirmation receipt sent to the email address which is registered to the Reckon Log-in account  ie. 'email successfully sent to bill@etc.com'

cheers Lucy

Your last line, Lucy, is absolutely correct.... It is the question to which we have suggested the following missing piece fo the jigsaw:

HOSTED needs the ability to set the "Disposition Notification To"   flag  to allow email delivery receipting to occur.  (or the equivalent for the Mail server software being called upon)

Your clarifying the 'hand typed'  email address is a good point too Lucy,  because it highlights the risk of human typing errors (like my spelling mistakes in these fast replies I'm sure!!!)    Your point is a good one,  because it demonstrates the vulnerability of a wrong email address being entered, and all the more reason for the need for some feedback when the email does not get sent.   The BCC: is a good start to some form of tracking nonetheless.

Cheers

Gary
Photo of Kevin Russell

Gary it doesn't matter if the recipient sends a receipt and he would need to stop it at his end. Why would he do that? You can't even request one. Honestly I do not understand what is so difficult to understand.
Kevin.

Yes, the underlying point is Reckon Hosted presently doesn't send a request for a receipt.   But if and when that is addressed, here's the next consequential  step to be aware of.

a) some people set their email program to NOT issue receipts, when asked. 
b)  other people set their email program to prompt them whether they wish to send a receipt, each and every request,  and they may elect to refuse, or accidentally refuse.
c)  in the meantime,  if a BCC to self is added,  at least SOME record exists of the attempt to send anything at all.   Better than nothing.

Problem is,  and this is for any email application,  you can never control the behaviour of each recipient, to politely give you a receipt,   so other tacts are needed to assist, such as haviing at least that BCC 'register'  of secondary copies that at least the author has some control over.

Sorry, but I try to look ahead and consider the ramifications of each idea, rather than await the next particular iteration of development being considered.

Gary
Photo of Jason Keable

Jason Keable

All in all and at the end of the day if Reckon used/accessed your own email smtp then all this would be fixed! All mail servers regardless of type will reply a not delivered email notification if an email address is not valid or bounces after a set time frame. So really all the natter about trying to fix the way Reckons email service works could be fixed as i have posted previously, but way of using your own mail server via API's!!

A "time" consuming work around and i would do this for invoices especially is to save a PDF of the invoice from Reckon to your PC and simply attach it to an email from your company email/domain service and then as i point out you are in control of the sever notifications, (ie NOT DELIVERED, This address does not exist etc) the subject line, the From field, the sent item box, the whole box and dice, this is by far not rocket science and i can see it's being way over analyzed with poor initial fixes?? 

Jason -    I'm reasonably content with your reply..... agreed:  Your  bottom line, is, to ensure everybody pushes for a solution on this aspect (ie: using your own SMTP settings) , but  is also  mindful of the ramifications. 

Your solutions provide evidence of trying to send emails - but others will no doubt argue that it never proves the other end read it, (if in fact that is what is expected)....  All that can be "assumed' is that it was never found to have FAILED to be delivered..... Frankly,  no solution can force that last piece of evidence, and that, I feel needs to be put on the table, otherwise readers will expect 100% arrivals....  and no software can actually achieve that if recipients never send a receipt (ie:  they accidentally delete it, without a receipt)....   That's a miniscule number for sure,  but you cant's promise 100%.   

Cheers,   

Gary
Photo of Kevin Russell

Sorry Gary but looking ahead it would be better to have the email sent from my email address rather than a reckon address. That way I would have a permanent record it is sent I would also be able to request a read receipt. Your point about read receipts being turned off is not particularly relevant because those clients will never be able to confidently assert they haven't received my invoice. You see the read receipt protects them as much as it does me.
Kevin.

In HOSTED:    the emails ARE sent from your personal email address.. ie:  from gaz@alchester.com.au  to client,   with a BCC'D to gaz@alchester.com.au  because HOSTED doesn't (yet) have it's own inbox.   Your personal (sender) email address is in Company INFO,,   and it is also tailored with the BCC address (for self)  in the "Preferences -->  Send Forms  for say Invoices. 

Gary
Photo of Kevin Russell

Gary I know this. What's your point? On second thoughts, this is getting a bit tedious. I am getting out. Cheers
Photo of Jason Keable

Jason Keable

Totally correct Gary, i totally agree that it will never be able to confirm a read and why and how could that be practically accomplished, it can't (a read receipt is just a kind gesture action performed online nowadays), just as in the real world the exact same situation occurs, ie i can send an addressed hard paper copy document/invoice etc via Australia post and will never know if it has been actually opened and read let alone acted upon (i don't expect a phone call from the receiver saying he got it). Even registered post can not assume a recipient will sign for the letter let alone open it, so there is always going to be a chance of mail not being read (in any medium), with or with out it being electronically transferred. But a time dated stamped email from your sent items folder does in this legal age give weight to the argument in a court of law that the sender did in actual fact attempt to communicate to the respondent, along with many other reasons we should all want our emails branded from our businesses.

Imagine the cost for Australia post to send out a representative with every letter to witness it was delivered and read by the addressee.  (i know that is extreme but it likens the situation to a tangible action)

This has been a good discussion and i hope people can try to put a connection together with what the electronic age has become with real world examples/applications and all help to built a solid cyber community. We are all pioneering the internet and have a very long way to go. It's good to communicate! Cheers All

Photo of Jason Keable

Jason Keable

Sorry Gary but your email is NOT sent from your email address, in fact your email address is only a data field input into the code's From & BCC field's before it passes through the Reckon SMTP. Please do not confuse this with mail being sent from a domains mail server.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Jason the point is you KNOW the email is received. That the point of the read receipt. It doesn't prove the recipient can read English either. It's irelevant. And of course you're right. The recipient doesn't have any idea where the email originated. Thanks for the input
Jason - agreed. 

The "FROM address, in the top of a Reckon Accounts HOSTED prepared invoice,  is a textual string of characters that represents your personal email address, and TRUE the email is generated and sent by the HOSTED system,  and this has NOTHING to do with the SMTP server that say, your Outlook utilises via your ISP,  or the SMTP setting in say your Thunderbird settings,  or your SMTP setting in say some browser based mail service like Yahoo, Live or MSN or hotmail (Showing my age now)....  And herein lies the problem,  that Reckon HOSTED, sitting on an Amazon datgacentre in Sydney, is using some proprietary or non-disclosed tool/application/poroigram/service to send the actual email out.  All true.

BUT:........
In case anybody come to this end of the forum article here, and fails to read all the too-and-fro detail,  there is still an underlying matter to resolve.  Two added points of which,  Jason and Kevin have introduced just above, which is terrific, because it adds to the list of technical ingredients that we would collectively like Reckon Development team to take into consideration.  so again, let's summarise and include them TOO:

a)  The FROM address in an invoice is text,  but it is PRE_FILLED text that comes from the Hosted menu;  COmpany -->  Company Info:   EMAIL.  (ie; i just changed  that to be tech@alchester.com.au,  and the next invoice I emailed came FROM that preferred personal address.   **NICE**   (The point I wanted to help Kevin with)

b)  The program that is actually sending the mail, is presently proprietary/unknown,  but the point is:  As Users,  we're unable to tailor or manipulate that process to use any preferred SMTP server with features like 'receipt requests',  CC   BCC  (but see next two points)   To take Jason's fine/improved  point: The email is NOT being sent via the User's domain mail server, or from any local PC based set of tools on the desktop/tablet/phone being used at the time of running HOSTED.  It is sent using some  "RECKON on Amazon"  set of processes that we're all asking to be improved.     **REQUESTED**

c)  There is the ability to include a BCC in the Send FORMS"  setup for say: Invoices,  AND there is the opportunity furtehr add (by hand)  a CC: on the fly during the invoice creation/sending process      **NICE**

d)  The aspect of RECEIPTING is two fold: 
       (i)   it is currently NOT enabled,  something users appear to want.   **ISSUE**

(ii)  but even if it was enabled (somehow),  Jason's most appropriate answer above about the fact that it can never guarantee a receipt to be ever forthcoming,  and even if it did,  whether it would be legally acceptable - are all worthy to note.   (**99%**)

(iii)  A receipting ability is needed from the HOSTED environment (ie: ask for one)
               BUT:  even with receipting turned on,  you only KNOW an email reached their end if  the recipient does in fact automatically, or manually allow the receipt to come back.  So, when he DOESN'T,  the result is that you DO NOT KNOW that he has the email.  (in reply for Kevin's last point)

e)  Given (d),  I remind people the reason WHY this article was first asked, in light of the missing point  (d) (i)   and also in light of the fact that (d) (ii) will never be 100% complete of provable,  then having a CC to self per point (c)  provides comfort.

f)  and finally,  if a fully tailorable SMTP set of facilities was in fact provided as a solution to (d) (i)  then  (c) could be avoided.  

But in the short term, today,  (a) thru (c) provide a 'partial' solution,  and hopefully the whole email mechanism is better understood by all

Gary
(patient, but important!)
(Edited)
Hi Lucy

I send all emails from hosted to myself, then fwd them to the client, this way I have a complete record of time,date being sent & can request read receipt, can be time consuming for large volume of emails, but I would rather have a record, otherwise stick with BCC option.

I do agree Reckon are dragging their feet on some basic issues like this, developing apps and stand alone invoicing like Reckon one, but are ignoring basic features in their prime product.  MYOB  have a great emailing system, everything sent from MYOB shows up in your own email sent box in outlook.
Photo of rose ivory

rose ivory

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Lucy

As a bit of an aside, there is a rough way of checking if a Tax Invoice has been "emailed" via the Tax Invoice's History. However (sadly) this piece of metadata doesn't appear on any reports that I've tried out. Indeed I would love to have this email history available in a report format (so I can more easily check if all tax invoices had been emailed before sending out Monthly Statements). If anyone does know how to set up such a report, please let me know. I too, have resorted to CC myself, as the only work around I could think of. Obviously all the major issues/limitations still need fixing, but a email sent report (even with the limitations expressed by others) would still be helpful at this point in time. Really really hope Reckon is listening and getting on with fixing their email system. :)
Thanks for input Rose.  That sounds like Reckon ONE,  not  the HOSTED product used by Lucy - is that the tip you're making?

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of rose ivory

rose ivory

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The above tip is for Reckons Accounts Hosted (which is what I use).
My apologies, Rose.  I quickly read your reply as "Email History" rather than Invoice History.  Of course, you're right, in what you say.

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of Stefano Parisi

Stefano Parisi

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I run a small painting company, I've been running reckon software since the first edition. This issue with emailing of invoices is by far the most frustrating I encountered yet. I accept that it's my fault when I don't enter the correct email address and my invoice doesn't get paid, but surely this day and age there should be a notice of sorts. Definitely a glitch in an otherwise great product. Please listen to your customers and fix this annoying problem.

Photo of Peter Glanz

Peter Glanz

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Xero lets you send an online version of the Invoice, so if the client you email the invoice to wants to check the invoice he needs to open the link.  This then turns on an indicator in Xero to show that the link has been activated (Read) so you can tell which invoices have been opened by the client.  Reckon should investigate this possibility in its Hosted product, perhaps
Photo of Janine Constantine

Janine Constantine

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I use MYOB at work and Reckon Hosted for my husbands business.  MYOB sends invoices through Outlook and as we have a request for read receipt on our outlook program we usually get one. The emails also show up in our sent folder. 
Photo of Janine Constantine

Janine Constantine

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It would also help if when you send an invoice via email that the 'To be emailed' box would become unticked as the 'To be printed' box does when you print an invoice