email not working - 2015 - Turning off "check each email prior to sending" IS NOT A FIX

Options
John Daniell
John Daniell Member Posts: 5
edited September 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Updated to 2015 Reckon Accounts - started 7AM, too many support calls later and 3PM and it is "sort of" working. 
Emails though keep getting "Mapi" errors. 
Hey - at least the "do you take credit cards" popup has stopped.
Eventually the last part of the fix was to login as single user - change company preferences for email sending to "do not show each email as it is sent" and now it sort of works - as long as Outlook isn't open when you send. If it's open - you can send 1 email, try another and it will fail.
Bloody support tell me that "that is the way it is" - THIS IS NOT A BLOODY FIX. THIS IS ANOTHER BACKWARD STEP from a company that has it's hands deep into my pockets.

Come on - we shouldn't be getting bugs like this when all we are doing is updating tax tables !!!

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi John.  I can only sympathise with your problems.  On the other hand every problem could have a silver lining.  Some of the problems which you detail seem to be similar to ones that I have, and now you seem to have found a fix.  I am particularly interested in the "do not show each email as it is sent".  I have never seen this option and find it anywhere.  Where are you able to see that one please?  John
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    John.

Fill in a couple of vital facts about your site so your situation can be understood. 
    a)  What eckon Accounts prouct are you running?  Plus, Premier, Enterprise?
    b)  WHat operating system are your workstations running (if multi-user - tell us about each).
    c)  If running Enterprise,  what MS Server version and patch level are you running?
    d)  What version of Outlook are you running, and if running MS Exchange in house for mail server operations - let us know,  otherwise tell us where your email is hosted please
    e)  Are you running email in POP3  or iMAP mode in Outlook?
    f)  Have your I.T.  people adjusted Outlook accounts to tolerate more than the bad default one minute server timeout issue that MS suffers every version?
    g)  What type of internet service are you running

Sounds like 7 probing question, but sure helps understand what can cause your symptoms.
    Each element can impact the way email gets queued and ultimately sent.

Gary Pope
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
          independent IT Professional
    and retired FCPA Accountant"

• John Daniell
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Try under, Edit, Preferences, Online, Company preferences. You will need to be in single user mode. But this means you cannot check the email address that it is being sent to! In our world, the real estate businesses INSIST on using people's names in email addresses for the accounts to be sent to - seems nice and personal until you realise that they change jobs every three months and your invoices are now going to nowhere!
  • John Daniell
    edited September 2020
    Options
    a) Enterprise 2015 release R2P
    B) Win7 - though they are logging in using remote desktop sessions - so workstation operating system shouldn't matter.
    C) MS Server 2012, version 6.2 (Build 9200)
    D) Outlook 2007 Running as "Administrator", email hosted on private server at TPP (****)
    E) Email running as POP3
    F)NO. However it only takes milliseconds for Reckon to decide it won't play. 
    G) ADSL2 with great speed and plenty bandwidth.

We have been running this way for at least 3 years - email had it's issues, but always worked. The only thing that has changed is the "Update" to 2015 - which apart from getting rid of the "do you accept credit cards" popup fault - appears to be the same as before - except emailing has now gone down the sh1tter.

Oh and of course now we have another bug - it doesn't remember ever being activated 10 times !!!

Sorry I seem Pissed Off - it's because I am, I hate wasting my time on software that we pay heaps for that should work - but the simplest update stuffs it up.

Cheers
    JD

PS - any or all help greatfully accepted - if you want to come here and fix it, I'll even pay.
  • Jason Hollis
    Jason Hollis Alumni Posts: 516 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have performed a server and a win 7 upgrade in the last few days with no issues John, so this is not sounding like a software bug as it would be wide spread.

If you haven't had a resolution from the community by Monday I will ask a senior technician to look into it for you.

Have a look at these in the meantime if the weekend support haven't taken you through this already...

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=366

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5108

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/unable_to_find_default_mail_provider_in_windows_registry

Or try running the fixmapi.exe from C:\Windows\System32 

** We recommend engaging your IT Support for a server installation when performing upgrades or maintenance as suggested.

I would also like to know if you performed a 'clean uninstall' of the 2014 version first?

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=331

Did you use a tool like Revo Uninstaller to clear registry entries before the install?

Was Outlook installed under a different user permission?

Was server user Administrator used for the Reckon install, or did you "Run as Administrator?

Regards,
    Jason
  • gazza73
    edited July 2020
    Options
    John.     TXT me your number for a chat.  I'm at 0408994799.  But it seems you have the attention of the team above for Monday too.

Gary
    (The Basin, VIC, AUST)
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    John

1.  I am concerned if your Outlook has not been adjusted to have server timeout adjusted beyond the basic 60 seconds.  That's an issue that will bite you, if sending large emails to slow ISP mail servers, or over a slow link.  (The link might be fast at your end, but you have no control over the middle or other end!).

2,  More important:  Jason has shared a combination of 2009-current  'knowledge base ideas'.   One that stands out from the rest,  is the one about:   http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5108

(that has been a Microsoft issue with programs for years - for any number of people 'linking' to the popular, but troublesome Outlook program (many versions!).   

(Sorry for my bias,  which I will declare up front, seeing this is an honest forum,  but Outlook is popular for reasons that defy IT logic for many technical people.  I always find it amazing to find IT professionals expounding the virtues  of MS,  yet they use something else personally.  You do the maths!.....   PS: Another open source advertisement from ABS....    moving on....)

3.  JOhn Graetz, a fellow terrific contributor to this forum, made a comment about : "do not show each email as it is sent",  which seems to have offered some benefit not only for him, but others on this forum.

4.  Your prompt, seemingly knowledgeable answers to my requests for info on your network, prompt me to assume you also know that many a program in a Microsoft environment is dependent upon  DLL files, and  REGISTRY entries that relate to 'other' programs than the one you are running. I'm not into a Reckon versus Microsoft standoff argument here. Like others on this forum, I trust we're all just trying to add clarity to the situation so that a remedy is discovered for you and anybody else using the same mix of products.   

My point:  The Tax Update is one thing,  and your environment to which it operates is another.  The solution will rest in identifying which end of the piece of string  (Reckon -->  Outlook)  and all manner of intermediary DLLs, environment variables,  server settings and external factors (like POP3 timeouts for instance) all marry together when operating concurrently.

- - - - - - - - -

SO:  First thing with engineering:  Move one variable at a time to observe any change in behaviour.  I'd be interested is using a privileged Administrator Outlook session on the actual MS Server 2012 box yields the same outcome as an RDP session from a non-administrator user.    But again,  if you are relying on POP3,  then be sure to move that Server Timeout to MAX (10mins of tolerance).  That's in:  Outllok -->  Accounts  -->  (pick an account) -->  Change -->  more settings  -->  Advanced -->  Server timeout:  (move from the inferior 30 or 60 seconds).
    WHY:  because in today's world of anti-virus checking, anti-spam checking,  traceroute rehearsal,  recipient-email pre-flight checking, on any sort of interruptible internet connection BEYOND your local 'fast' ADSL2 connection,  a low timeout will cause an email to fail to even START its traversal to the target.    (ie:  fix it anyway! - it won't slow things dowm,  it will just allow tolerance to 10mins in the event there are big attachments or excessive hops to slow ISP's like hotmail and so forth.)

I didn't intent to about that point above,  but anything that has known issues can just complicate the discovery of other unknown issues that are at stake on this occasion.

Ideally,  a teamviewer session exploring the state of other factors on your server are really needed for IT professionals to help you on these matters.  Up to you.

Cheers!

Gary Pope

• John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Many thanks John.  I have now found that and changed it by unticking.  I looked at what I thought were the obvious places and in the process overlooked an obvious place!! John G
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks Gary for your comments and the extensive assistance that you have offered to try and overcome John's problems.  From my own point of view I have now been able to change the "online" "company" preference (fix provided by John D) and the info that you provided about the Outlook Server timeout setting and the kb in your No. 2 above.  My problem particularly related to a work situation where I occasionally forgot to email out the pay slips and because I wasn't returning to that worksite for another 10 days, the problems being experienced when I tried to email the pay slips from home, meant that I had to PDF each pay slip and send out individually.  Now, there is a very good chance that this will work in the future.  John G
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Att: John Graetz

I'd like to touch base with you please.  Can you TXT me on 0408994799 with a number to get in touch.  I'm in THE BASIN, Vic, Aust.

Thanks

Gary
  • John Daniell
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Jason, thanks for the suggestions. Interestingly, I have never seen a recommendation to uninstall previous version, prior to update with reckon. It isn't in the instructions - in fact the tax file update instructions don't even tell you to update the software to 2015 first !!! Still going ..... Monday 6th.
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    John Daniell.
    (and John Graetz)

Okay been a nice morning chatting a couple of hours and using Teamviewer to look at John D's situation of trying to EMAIL INVOICES from ENTERPRISE.   We've tried to eliminate as much as possible to further define the scenario where the problem is,  and performed some due diligence type tests at the site.

1.  ADSL2 is close to Telephone exchange, and independent ozspeedtest.com  shows 10,258kbps download and 800kbit/sec upload.  Latter varies if other user behaviour,  but a standalone single-user test was run to ensure adequate access.

2.  Teamviewer v10 exercise out of Alchester showed quite acceptable responses,  and the site enjoys branch office RDP access over their ADSL2 link that is also fine.  ** We're satisfied that COMMS is fine.**

3.  Site is running MS Server 2012  and MS Outlook v2007  and tests were done as two different profiles (one newly created to ensure clean) with User, Admin, RDP rights.

4.  An alternate set of SMTP servers was tested, in lieu of the sites usual ISP based SMTP servers,  and identical issues resulted.  **So we've eliminated the SMTP server as any impact**

5.  There is talk of NOT using a PREFERENCES tickbox that allows:  Display each email before sending'.    However,  this 'feature' has always been available, and worked during prior versions (Reckon Enterprise 2014 and prior).  It is needed in business, because users like to observe if n email address is incorrect before sending.  Also,  when sending STATEMENTS<  this tick box permits the deletion/passing over of those clients that statements are preferred NOT to send.   **This is a sideline ISSUE worth arguing **

6. The behaviour seen (trying to send the invoices in emails)  varies, depending on whether OUTLOOK is already running or not,   and varies with (5) tickbox.    Here's the four combinations.

UNTICK (5)
    - OUTLOOK pre-opened :   MAPI error  00000000(0) at line 921
    - OUTLOOK CLOSED     :    Emails queue to OUTBOX okay   (but can't check/change)

TICK (5)
    - OUTLOOK pre-opened :   MAPI error  00000000(0) at line 921
    - OUTLOOK CLOSED     :   MAPI error  00000000(0) at line 921

7.   Phone call

• Shakir
    Shakir Alumni Posts: 54
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello Everyone

Thanks for your support on this.

This has been fixed by performing below steps.
    • MS Outlook 2007 was running in the compatibility mode for Win 7, so unticked the option for compatibility.
    • Also, unticked the option for 'Run as Administrator'.
    Then tried to email by checking the option 'Display Each Email Before Sending' and it worked.

Regards
    Shakir
  • Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks Shakir,

Its sometimes the simple things... hence my original post...

Was Outlook installed under a different user permission?

Was server user Administrator used for the Reckon install, or did you "Run as Administrator?

This is not just a 'Reckon thing' as I have seen apps in the past that must connect with Outlook not respond as they are running in different modes or "as admin". It's not just Outlook either.

Glad we all got there in the end. Thanks for your enormous input on this Gary! I only knew this might be the case after seeing it time and again over many years.

• Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sorry I didn't highlight the permissions issue with greater importance John - it was just something to check first (as a possible cause) and might have saved a bit of time getting to the issue (and gave Gary his weekend back). As I said below I only mentioned it as a possible cause as I have seen it before.

In the very least it has provided the community with an exhaustive list of things to check in future.

ps. Clean un-install is not mandatory hence not everyone should do it (its quite technical and does delete registry entries). IT support for larger businesses usually perform it though.

Regards,
    Jason
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    John D / Shakir

We were in the process of finishing off point (7) when the above reply comae through.      The client, John, I believe, remains concerned that:

-  The original Outlook 2007 was running with NEITHER of those tick boxes ticked (which is basic, standard installation of Outlook),  and the EMAIL INVOICE issue was occurring.  

- Two different support calls to PSG prompted John to try the 'run as administrator' tickbox,  (for all users) but this made no change

-  The second call to PSG suggested to further tick the 'run in compatibility' mode - and that made no change.

-  Then there was suggestion of UNTICKING the desired preference of "Display each email Before Sending'  which resulted on one of the FOUR combinations to run per Gary's point (6) above.).

This raises the question about why the REVERSAL of those earlier decisions back to where the site started from,  is now suddenly seeing the problem resolved?

The symptom almost suggests that some REGISTRY settings have been affected as part of the Reckon 2015 upgrade (along with the Tax table at same time),  which affects something ion the SERVER that gets corrected by shifting the settings that Shakir declares.

From my point of view,  the ORIGINAL CAUSE of why fiddling with said tickboxes making a difference,  is yet to be fully identified or explained.

Other readers should read all this with Server 2012/ Outlook 2007/ Reckon Enterprise 2015 in mind as the combination that seems affected.

SIDELINE observation:  Upon startup, a "REMINDER" suggests that product needs ACTIVATION, and states that expiry is coming up shortly.  Well, it has NOT yet expired,  and it still IS activated.  The point is,  users are prompted to click NEXT to activate again, which ios a premature move,  if they don't want to financially renew until closer to the expiry date.  A little clarification, I suggest, is warranted in this matter,  to stop the confusion about whether the site is indeed still activated already,  when nearing expiry date. (but not expired YET).

Communication is everything!

Cheers!

Gary Pope

• John Daniell
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OK Team ... Happy camper here - thanks to all - especially Gary who called me and worked through a number of things.

I am inclined to assume that the update set certain registry entries to certain conditions. The act of "turning it on then off again" reset these to the correct condition. 

I can only assume this because these were the orig settings at update time AND email wasn't playing. And NO I didn't have a "clean install of 2015" nor did I "Uninstall" 2014. These steps should not be necessary.

Anyhow - all fixed (for now). Eagerly awaiting update next year. (not)

Cheers
    JD