EmpDupe file format created on Reckon Accounts Hosted not accepted by ATO Auskey portal

Trish Stephen
Trish Stephen Member Posts: 5
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi everyone. I use Reckon Accounts Hosted. I am trying to download the EmpDupe file onto my local network but when I click on the file which is in the Q drive in Reckon I have to open it with a program of my choosing. I have tried opening it with notepad and wordpad and saving it to my local drive but when I try and upload the file to the ATO (test only) using my Auskey login it gives me the following error "Please contact your software developer. The file size is not a correct multiple of the record length". How can I get the correct file to load to the ATO?

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Trish.  Not sure if you are possibly missing one step here.  You first need to download the file to your local drive using the download tab.  Once you do that and the file has downloaded, you can right click on that file (bottom left hand corner) to determine where has been downloaded to (show in folder).  When you then go to lodge the file, you need to navigate to where the file has been downloaded to on your local drive and select it.  This should then work for you.  John L G
  • Trish Stephen
    edited September 2017
    Hi John.  Thanks for your response.  I have been trying to download the file to my local drive using the download tab but it forces me to open the file first.  This is when it is asking me what program I would like to open it with.  I have tried Notepad and wordpad.  Once I have opened the file in whatever program I have chosen I am then able to save it to my local drive.  The format it is saving it in is not liked by the ATO Auskey program which is why I keep getting the error.  Trish
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited March 2017
    Hi Trish,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

The error message suggests that some information is missing in relevant fields in your company file.  A common error is to enter a single digit in the Branch Code box next to the Tax Rego ID (your ABN) when 3 digits are required - 001 instead of 1.   Make sure the Tax Rego ID is numbers only - no dashes between numbers or ABN or ACN at the start.  

Another source for this problem is text information that was copied into the Reckon Accounts field from another source - a double space may have inadvertently been included that is increasing the character count in the EmpDupe.  

Please review these fields in your company file, modify as required, and create your empdupe again.

To download the EmpDupe file to your local PC, click on the download icon of the Floating Toolbar, navigate to the folder containing your Empdupe File (Q drive?), select it and let your browser download the file (to your Downloads folder or where you specified).

(Google Chrome browser)

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John
  • Trish Stephen
    edited September 2017
    Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.  I've checked the ABN and it's all correct.  It's put in with spaces which I assume is fine.  I'm not sure what you mean by text information being copied into the Reckon Accounts Field so I'm not sure where to check that.  Can you please advise.

Thanks,
    Trish
  • Trish Stephen
    edited September 2017
    Hi John,

It's working now.  I went back to the ABN number in the company and noticed that as well as our company ABN the branch box code only had the digit 1 in there.  This is what you mentioned above but I was really only focusing on our ABN and not the branch box next to it. I changed it to "001" and can now upload it to the ATO portal.

Thanks for your help.

Trish
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited March 2017
    Great to hear Trish.

regards,
    John