Enable barcoding in Premier 2017 Manufacturing & Wholesale

Slyman
Slyman Member Posts: 7
edited August 2019 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
The item has a different bar code 'number' to the item number. When we scan, it will only scan the suppliers bar code which Quickbooks cannot find.
I would like to scan the suppliers bar code and bring up the linked item number. My admin said there is nothing to enable and just use the bar code field against the item number, but this is not working. I feel I should be able to use the suppliers bar code of the product, scan it and bring up our part number which is linked to it through the fields. How can I enable this to happen?

Comments

• Slyman
    edited August 2019
    Hi Kevin, thanks for the response.

Our items were initially set up as 'inventory' but these have been deactivated.

The newer items are set up as 'non inventory'.

I reactivate an older item to see it that made any difference and it does not. The scan of the bar code still brings up the 13 character bar code and not the item number attached to it.

The bar code is entered into the bar code field against the item.

cheers Ian
  • Slyman
    edited July 2017
    Sorry, new to QB, can you clarify POS please? I don't know what that is.

When creating a new item, I do enter the suppliers bar code into the bar code field. Is this corrrect? This is why I am confused. I thought it should recognise the suppliers bar code and bring up our item number. Figured there must be something which needs to be 'enabled' to allow it to work.
  • Slyman
    edited July 2017
    Is POS a module which needs to be purchased? 

• Slyman
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Kevin, I just looked it up. Seems we'll have to purchase POS to enable the bar code feature. 
    cheers
  • Slyman
    edited July 2017
    What I want to achieve is to scan the supplier bar code and have QB bring up our item number when invoicing. Just adding the bar code to the field does not allow this to happen. I need to know if Premier 2017 Manufacturing & Wholesale can do this for me. I have seen on youtube there is an 'enable' wizard but you need to be an admin to activate. My admin says it's not there. So I may have to purchase that POS add on.
  • Slyman
    edited July 2017
    Our suppliers components all have bar codes on them. Creating my own would duplicitous, meaning I would have to print and place stickers on components which are already bar coded. Having the suppliers bar code in the bar code field against our item number would have been the logical approach, so when their bar code is scanned, our item number would be used.
    Using the bar code scanner also assists in stocktake, reducing having to write everything down. All you need to record is the count.
    Also, I have other members of staff who have little experience in selling parts and don't understand part number sequences etc as well as they are not good on a keyboard. Scanning a bar code assists them with the sales process in my absence.
    Our own generated 'in-house' part numbers are used as the bar code, that's a no-brainer. It's the suppliers bar code I wish to use in the system. I see many businesses using suppliers bar codes off packets, bags boxes etc yet it appears QB does not seem to have this functionality unless I purchase the POS  module, which I know little about. It's going to be hard to get that over the line with the boss $$$ wise especially when I don't know what it does. More research for me.
  • Jacqui Allen
    Jacqui Allen Member Posts: 238 ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I completely understand why you use your own codes, you can use MPN to record the supplier barcode of a custom field.  I am trying to do the same as you, have you had any luck yet?  I have found some documentation on how to go about it if you want a copy email assist@ceb.net.au subject BARCODE.