Enable barcoding in Premier 2017 Manufacturing & Wholesale

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
The item has a different bar code 'number' to the item number. When we scan, it will only scan the suppliers bar code which Quickbooks cannot find.
I would like to scan the suppliers bar code and bring up the linked item number. My admin said there is nothing to enable and just use the bar code field against the item number, but this is not working. I feel I should be able to use the suppliers bar code of the product, scan it and bring up our part number which is linked to it through the fields. How can I enable this to happen?
Photo of Slyman

Slyman

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 38,614 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Have you set these items up as Inventory? Why dont you put the suppliers barcode in the barcode field?
(Edited)
Photo of Slyman

Slyman

Hi Kevin, thanks for the response.

Our items were initially set up as 'inventory' but these have been deactivated.

The newer items are set up as 'non inventory'.

I reactivate an older item to see it that made any difference and it does not. The scan of the bar code still brings up the 13 character bar code and not the item number attached to it.

The bar code is entered into the bar code field against the item.

cheers Ian
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 38,544 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Well it depends on what it is you are trying to achieve. It won't help you to administer Reckon Premier. POS is simply an extension of Premier. 
Photo of Slyman

Slyman

What I want to achieve is to scan the supplier bar code and have QB bring up our item number when invoicing. Just adding the bar code to the field does not allow this to happen. I need to know if Premier 2017 Manufacturing & Wholesale can do this for me. I have seen on youtube there is an 'enable' wizard but you need to be an admin to activate. My admin says it's not there. So I may have to purchase that POS add on.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Why are you using the supplier barcode at all? Why dont you set up your own barcodes as the item number?
Photo of Slyman

Slyman

Our suppliers components all have bar codes on them. Creating my own would duplicitous, meaning I would have to print and place stickers on components which are already bar coded. Having the suppliers bar code in the bar code field against our item number would have been the logical approach, so when their bar code is scanned, our item number would be used.
Using the bar code scanner also assists in stocktake, reducing having to write everything down. All you need to record is the count.
Also, I have other members of staff who have little experience in selling parts and don't understand part number sequences etc as well as they are not good on a keyboard. Scanning a bar code assists them with the sales process in my absence.
Our own generated 'in-house' part numbers are used as the bar code, that's a no-brainer. It's the suppliers bar code I wish to use in the system. I see many businesses using suppliers bar codes off packets, bags boxes etc yet it appears QB does not seem to have this functionality unless I purchase the POS  module, which I know little about. It's going to be hard to get that over the line with the boss $$$ wise especially when I don't know what it does. More research for me.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Reckon Accounts Premier is an accounting program. Its not a full blown POS ( point of sale) or inventory management system. It cant even use last cost. The only option is average cost. Fishbowl is excellent and it will integrate with Reckon. Theres plenty of others in the add on store which will do everything you want and more
I completely understand why you use your own codes, you can use MPN to record the supplier barcode of a custom field.  I am trying to do the same as you, have you had any luck yet?  I have found some documentation on how to go about it if you want a copy email assist@ceb.net.au subject BARCODE.