End of financial year report does not reconcile with monthly pay run data

• Problem
  • Updated 1 day ago
I have used the free STP app to report monthly pay runs for my business (1 employee). The individual monthly pay runs reconcile with my monthly STP data on the ATO website.

However, when I use the app to create an 'End of financial year (FY19/20) report', the automatically calculated totals are higher than the sum of the individual monthly pay runs. More specifically, the automatic calculation seems to have double counted either my October 2019 pay run or my November 2019 pay run. How can this be?

And, more importantly, how can this be fixed so I can submit an accurate EOFY report?

I have seen some commentary suggested an adjustment be created. Is the adjustment submitted to the ATO? If so, it seems like creating an 'adjustment' as a work around to fix the incorrect EOFY report will mean that the data submitted to the ATO is no longer correct.
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 days ago

Photo of Steve

Steve

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have exactly the same problem , this need to be fixed by the app supplier
Photo of Steve

Steve

My pay runs are correct but the app for the end of the financial year summary is too high it seems to be adding one pay run twice.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 104,618 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dan,
With the STP app, the YTD figures shown in the 'Pay Summary' section are an accumulation of ALL submissions sent ie. Success, Error & Pending status along with any YTD pay that was entered for the employee when you initially set them up. It does not however show a 'live' balance that is sitting with the ATO. Were any of your submissions along the way declined?

As you've mentioned the 1.12.9 update for the STP app a new EOFY Finalisation feature has been introduced. The figures shown in the EOFY 2019/20 report will be the final figures sent to the ATO and will overwrite balances sent prior throughout the year. So in essence, you just need to ensure the totals that are shown in the EOFY Finalisation Report in the app are correct prior to sending through the finalisation and this will be your FINAL and only totals sent for each employee.

To amend those figures, you need to create an adjustment in the app (Pay Run screen > New Adjustment) and enter the total you are adjusting by eg. Employee A shows $50000.00 gross pay whereas in reality it should be $30000.00, then your adjustment will be for -$20000.00 gross pay for this employee.

I'll add a link below to our End of Financial Year Finalisation guide -
HELP GUIDE: End of Financial Year Finalisation with the STP Mobile App
Photo of Dan

Dan

Rav - thank you for your comment. To confirm, if I create an adjustment in the app will this simply adjust the totals in the EOFY? That is, the adjustment itself is not submitted to the ATO, rather the adjustment is only stored within the app and enables a correct figure to be produced in the EOFY report. This EOFY report is then submitted to the ATO (with correct totals).

Can you confirm if my understanding above is correct?

Thanks.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Dan,
To confirm the initial adjustment that you make to correct the figures in the app will also go to the ATO and change the figures they have.
However, once the balances in the app are correct, you then send through the EOFY Finalisation this will then go through to the ATO and OVERWRITE the figures they have ie. from your previous submissions & adjustments sent previous to that point. 

So.. long story short. As long as the balances for each of your employees are correct in the EOFY Report in the app, THAT will be full & final figures sent to the ATO which will overrule everything that came before it.
Photo of Dan

Dan

Thank you for clarifying.
Photo of Jennifer Courtenay

Jennifer Courtenay

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
But how do you put in a negative adjustment? The app won’t accept it
Photo of paul best

paul best

• 60 Points
I have this problem. Will the balance be out if my submission date is in this financial year
Photo of Cheryle Campbell

Cheryle Campbell

• 70 Points
I am having this problem too. ATO Portal shows nearly half of what my EOFY figures on the app are showing. I have gone through all payruns and it is the same as the portal. I can't see how making an adjustment will fix it with the ATO. Wont it show a negative gross wage. Because if I do an adjustment it will show that our employee didn't earn anything the last financial year. Please can someone give me a call regarding this as the wait times on the phone are horrendous. PHONE 0754940133
Photo of Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy

• 1,466 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That;s what I thought initially as well. But after you create the adjustments to make the numbers in the app right then you send the end of year report so that the ATO receives the completed year numbers from that report.
Probably best to check Reckon's guide in one of the other posts here
Photo of Steve

Steve

Hi all my paytuns are correct but my end of financial year summary is adding one pay run twice hence the incorrect amount in the summary , what do we do to fix problem.
Photo of Vincent Gulliver

Vincent Gulliver

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mine are the same all submitted, all marked as Done. It seems to be including the payroll run twice for July 2019. No adjustments have been made to any month nor are any required. The individual pay runs are all correct.
Photo of Steve

Steve

Yes that is the same payrun as mine that is going through twice

Vincent Gulliver

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mine are the same all submitted, all marked as Done. It seems to be including the payroll run twice for July 2019. No adjustments have been made to any month nor are any required. The individual pay runs are all correct.

Vincent Gulliver

Also noting - There is no adjustment I can make as the individual monthly payroll runs are all correct. I am also on version 1.12.9 of the App
(Edited)
Photo of Steve

Steve

Yes  I have the latest version as well and all my monthly payruns are correct just the final summary is incorrect .It has put through the july payrun twice
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 104,356 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Vincent,
Did you enter a YTD balance for your employee(s), when you first set them up?
The Pay Summary section in the app will accumulate YTD entered+the figures from all submissions (regardless of status).

Either way, the aim here is to ensure the balances for each of your employees is correct in the EOFY Report in the app because that will be the full & final figure that will be sent to the ATO ie. overruling all balances from previous submissions/adjustments.

Vincent Gulliver

Firstly thanks for responding :-) No I did not enter a YTD balance - I did not know that is possible. The only values entered are in the payroll runs. I am IT project manager - I run teams that implement and test these type of systems. The EOFY report seems to be double counting the July 2019 payrun for some reason.

Vincent Gulliver

Hi Rav I have only one employee, me. Each payroll run was correctly entered, submitted and marked as Done. The EOFY seems to be including the July 2019 payroll run twice. Why do I say that?  Because that is the amount by which the report is incorrect for the total gross pay, total tax withheld and total superannuation. I can not submit an incorrect report. There is no adjustment I can make.

Vincent Gulliver

I notice  for the July 2019 payroll  that I submitted it on the 12 Aug 2019 and it was not approved by the ATO until 22 Sep 2019
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Vincent,
I can't say what has happened to your individual case, simply because I don't know nor have any visibility on your submissions.
The app asks you to enter a YTD balance if applicable to the employee when you first create them in the app initially.

The key aspect here which you need to come to terms with is, you need to ensure that the figures in the EOFY report are accurate when it comes to sending through the finalisation because it will then overwrite whatever is currently sitting with the ATO ie. it will be correct figures provided that you adjust them accordingly so the app reflects  them. To do so an adjustment is required and you can send one in order to do so.

I'm not asking you to send through an incorrect report, I'm simply stating what is required in order to correct your figures in the app to finalise your reporting.

I'm going to link this article again below because I feel it probably explains the process better than what I'm trying to outline -
HELP GUIDE: End of Financial Year Finalisation with the STP Mobile App
Photo of Steve

Steve

I,m not sure how this works because if you submitt an adjustment to payroll runs that are already correct wont this create an issue with the ATO
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Steve, see my earlier reply to Dan in this thread HERE who had a similar question.

Vincent Gulliver

Thanks Rav

It's not my individual case, it seems everyone who is complaining is saying it is double counting some of their months. The report is faulty, plain as day.

Given my experience, as I say I am an IT project manager, I would say its using the dates incorrectly because although the July payroll run was submitted in August it was not approved by the ATO until Sep. I suspect if you checked the report this will be the cause.

Let me confirm what you want me to do.

1. My 12 payroll runs have all been submitted and approved by the ATO. All the payroll runs are absolutely correct. All approved. None pending. No errors.

2. Note: None of my payroll runs are the same

3. When I run the EOFY report it incorrectly calculates the total salary, total tax and total superannuation. The amount that it is wrong by is twice the July pay run (which I can determine because of point 2)

4. Because your EOFY is incorrect you want me to make an false adjustment to a correct payroll run to offset the incorrect calculation by the EOFY report

5. You believe this to be ok because you believe the ATO do not use the individual payroll runs and are only concerned with the totals in the EOFY report.

PLEASE CONFIRM

For the record in all of my professional working IT experience with hundreds and hundreds of reports over 30 years. Never would this be acceptable. You need to get the report fixed. This is also disappointing because until now I have liked using the STP payroll software.

Regards
Vincent
Photo of Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy

• 1,456 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The app isn't double counting July, it isn't in my case so I wouldn't make that assertion for the masses Vincent.
The way the app counts pay summary figures though, is terrible and incredibly confusing. You really haven't made it easy on yourselves Reckon.

There is also literally no way to check what YTD pay I entered for my employees when I set up the app. Vincent, I have a suspicion that is where your mysterious figure is appearing from in the app like it was for me among other issues.

Vincent Gulliver

Hi Eric

I never asserted it was just July in my comment above. Please re-read. In fact there are a couple of other complaints about doubling of particular months.

There can be multiple issues with a single report.

On the YTD issue: I did not enter any values for YTD pay nor any other values for anything other than for the payroll runs. Not having the YTD pay visible definitely does not help. But I never entered a value for it.

For the defect I have identified. The reason I pinpointed July in my instance is because all 12 of my payroll runs have different values. The report is exactly wrong by twice the July payroll amounts. I notice for my July payroll run that its was submitted in August but approved in Sep. Whereas all my other months were approved in the same month and usually the same day. I suspect for this issue it is double counting because of this difference in months.

I am going contact the ATO to verify that they only use the totals and not the individual months submitted before I make the adjustment that Rav is suggesting.

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Vincent,
As part of the Single Touch Payroll reporting system, you must finalise each employees payrun data with the ATO at the end of each financial year - https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Single-Touch-Payroll/In-detail/Single-Touch-Payroll-employer-reporting-guidelines/?anchor=FinalisingyourSingleTouchPayrollreporti1#FinalisingyourSingleTouchPayrollreporti1)
This informs the ATO that you are finished your payroll for the year, the employees numbers are finalized and they can now prefill this data into income tax returns. If you do not do this process, employees will not be able to prefill data into their income tax returns. As you are reporting finalized numbers to the ATO via what is termed an 'update event' you also have the opportunity to amend any figures that may be incorrect.

As you can see on this info from the ATO - https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Single-Touch-Payroll/In-detail/Single-Touch-Payroll-employer-reporting-guidelines/?anchor=FinalisingyourSingleTouchPayrollreporti1#FinalisingyourSingleTouchPayrollreporti1 - amendments can be done as part of the finalise process.
If you make a correction as part of the EOFY report process, these are the numbers the ATO will use to prefill employee tax returns. Employee data is reported to the ATO as a Year to Date amount in every STP submission with the previous data updated to reflect the new data, even if that means the previous number was higher due to, for example, an overpayment to an employee.

If your numbers are correct and do not need amending, you still need to finalise your employees numbers with the EOFY report as this will set the employees to finalised with the ATO and employee data can then be prefilled into returns. This is a mandatory process, see this page for more info - https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Single-Touch-Payroll/In-detail/Single-Touch-Payroll-employer-reporting-guidelines/?anchor=FinalisingyourSingleTouchPayrollreporti1#FinalisingyourSingleTouchPayrollreporti1

I would also recommend that you have a chat with the ATO if you still have concerns around the EOFY process.

Vincent Gulliver

Hi Rav
I contacted the ATO. I spoke to two different people. They seemed to think they do check the FY submissions against the monthly submissions, BUT if there is a difference the EOFY report takes precedence. I asked what the point of checking the monthly submissions total was then and they did not know.
SO - As per your directions/instructions I have fudged the figures using an -ve adjustment and submitted the EOFY report with the correct values for the Financial Year 2019-20.
This is a deeply unsatisfactory work around, when I have correctly submitted all the data throughout the year. The report clearly has a defect where it is double counting some months under particular circumstances and/or the YTD figure has a hidden value. It would provide more confidence to users and I personally would be more understanding if you could admit that there is a defect with the report and commit to investigating and resolving.
Regards
Vincent
Photo of Anissa Jordin

Anissa Jordin

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi, I have the exact same issue as you Vincent. My EOFY report has doubled up the 1st payrun in July.
(And yes my weekly payroll is all different values, so I can ascertain which week has been doubled up)
It seems highly doubtful that many users have somehow made the same error.
Reckon please look into this matter urgently
Photo of Steve

Steve

Vincent,
What date did you use for the adjustment  , did you use the july pay run date or just todays date.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Anissa,
Have you had a look at the info in my responses earlier in this thread? Have you also checked out the EOFY process in the help article linked above?
Photo of Steve

Steve

Anissa I had exactly the same pay run as you , my july pay run seems to have gone in twice.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Steve, if you are adjusting figures for the previous financial year, you need to use a date from the previous year NOT a date in the current (new) financial year.
Photo of Steve

Steve

Rav what date do I use for the adjutment submission

Vincent Gulliver

I used 29 Jun 2020 as that was the date of the last payroll run I submitted, however I presume it does not matter providing it is in the financial year 2019/20. But I don't know for sure so don't quote me :-)
Photo of James

James

• 504 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am also having this problem. I have triple checked all the amounts entered by employee/month with a colleague, and they are all correct.

I am running v1.13.0.

The EOFY totals calculated by the Reckon STP app do not add up to the monthly totals.

It appears that the July 2019 amounts are in some cases being added twice into the EOFY totals, as another commentor noted, but not in all cases : there are some random amounts being added to other totals. For example, one amount is $2021 too high, which is very suspicious - memory leak of the 20/21 financial year?

My job is software tester, and this definitely is a defect in the software.

I am not prepared to put in an adjustment to make the Reckon EOFY totals correct, as it seems to me that doing so will make the monthly totals incorrect, and I'm not going to risk the ATO's wrath by doing so.

I have correctly entered all the employee/month totals, and it should not be beyond reasonable expectations that the software will accurately add up those numbers to calculate the correct EOFY totals.

(Edited)
Photo of Sue Ward

Sue Ward

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have just been on to the ATO.  They have manually adjusted my figures for me.  So, hopefully, for me, this is sorted for 2019/20 financial year.  Let's wait and see what happens next year!
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Sue, did ato do a manual adjustment for you AFTER you did the EOFY summary report (which had the incorrect numbers) ?
Photo of Sue Ward

Sue Ward

Kevin, I hadn't submitted my EOFY summary report to them, although my tax return already had the incorrect figures pre-filled.  After all the trouble I was having, I decided to leave the EOFY summary till the very last - or at least until I had some answers.  Seems as though Reckon don't have them.  
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

But now your going to submit the Rekon EOFY numbers after ATO did an adjustment, wont that just stuff up ATO's adjustment?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Kevin,
To clarify, if you correct the pay summary figures in the app by creating an adjustment and then send the EOFY finalisation report, the figures shown in that EOFY report will be the only figures the ATO receive. Anything prior to that point in time will be overwritten. This means the corrected balances in the app as shown in the EOFY Report will be what your EOFY 2019/20 figures will be finalised as.
Photo of Sue Ward

Sue Ward

Kevin, I'll now send off the summary with the incorrect figures and then do an adjustment showing the correct figures.  
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Sue. You need to send your EOFY finalisation with correct pay summary figures. As mentioned above and earlier in this thread, the EOFY Report will overwrite all previous balances submitted.
Correct your figures via adjusments FIRST and then send through your EOFY finalisation in the app.

End of Financial Year finalisation with the STP app
(Edited)
Photo of Sue Ward

Sue Ward

Well if you could explain to me how to do that, I'd appreciate it.  I open the app to the summary report (ie incorrect figures) - there is nowhere to edit the figures.  This is the only place where the figures are wrong.  I can only create an adjustment after I send the incorrect figures.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Make a note of the figures that are showing for each of your employees in the EOFY Report and then go out of it.
In the Pay Run screen click on the blue + symbol and select 'New Adjustment'.
Date your adjustment to 30 June 2020 ie. a date in the previous financial year. 

Select the employees you need to adjust and enter the totals that you need to adjust each of them by.
EXAMPLE: Employee A is showing $1000.00 gross pay in the EOFY Report whereas in reality it should be $800.00. So the total you enter in the adjustment for Employee A will be -$200.00 gross pay.

Do the same for gross pay, super, tax etc for each employee that you need to.
After you've sent this adjustment go back into the EOFY Report and you will see the employee balances are now correct (provided you have adjusted everything you need to).

If all all balances in the EOFY Finalisation Report are now correct after doing the above, you are ready to send it off.
Photo of Sue Ward

Sue Ward

Thanks Rav.  All done (I hope)!
Photo of Kateo J

Kateo J

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Sue did you have incorrect figures at the ATO, mine are correct and in my pay runs, its just doubling all but one employee figures in the final report. So if I do an adjustment it might make it wrong at the ATO? When I go to the first payrun to amend my employees are not listed in the payrun as I had terminated them
Photo of Sue Ward

Sue Ward

Kateo, yes my figures at the ATO matched the incorrect figures on the STP even though I had not sent in my EOFY report (Big Brother stuff).  The amounts weren't doubled, they just seemed to be some random numbers picked out of the air with no correlation to the correct figures at all.

So firstly, I had the ATO manually change them and then after a few instructions from Rav, I managed to adjust the figures on my app and everything seems ok now.  I am the only employee of the business with only a couple of minor adjustments throughout the year so I'm at a loss as to why this happened.  I will keep everything I've learned over the last day or so in a "special" folder so I can refer to it next year if this happens again.  I wish you luck.
Photo of Kateo J

Kateo J

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Sue, looks like my problem differs from yours.My pay runs were correct and the figures at the ATO are correct, its just when I go to do the finalisation report all employees other than the last one I just paid have doubled. If I do an adjustment it will be wrong at the ATO. ATO said got to Reckon, Reckon said go to this Forum. Just need to know how to amend the final report before sending as all payruns are correct.
(Edited)
Photo of Sue Ward

Sue Ward

Unfortunately it seems as there is a flaw in the app which is very frustrating.  No one will admit it though.  Surely not everyone is doing something wrong.  From what I can see from this and other forums, there are a lot of problems with the EOFY figures for an awful lot of people. 

Are you able to adjust the figures by either adding or taking away the difference in the accounts?  Rav sent me the following message.  It would also work with adding amounts too. 

Make a note of the figures that are showing for each of your employees in the EOFY Report and then go out of it.
In the Pay Run screen click on the blue + symbol and select 'New Adjustment'.
Date your adjustment to 30 June 2020 ie. a date in the previous financial year. 

Select the employees you need to adjust and enter the totals that you need to adjust each of them by.
EXAMPLE: Employee A is showing $1000.00 gross pay in the EOFY Report whereas in reality it should be $800.00. So the total you enter in the adjustment for Employee A will be -$200.00 gross pay.

Do the same for gross pay, super, tax etc for each employee that you need to.
After you've sent this adjustment go back into the EOFY Report and you will see the employee balances are now correct (provided you have adjusted everything you need to).

This worked for me.  I wish you luck.

Photo of James

James

(Edited)

Vincent Gulliver

Hi James

I completely understand your position and sentiments. They (Reckon/Rav) however are not acknowledging there is an issue with the report.

The one difference for my July figure that I noticed compared to the other months was, I submitted it in Aug, but it was not approved until Sep, all the other 11 months were submitted and approved in the same month and usually day.  Can you see if your months in error have a similar difference between submission and approval months, I would be interested to know.

As per my earlier comment I contacted the ATO yesterday (1st July 2020) and I spoke to two different people. They seemed to think they do check the FY submissions against the monthly submissions, BUT if there is a difference the EOFY report takes precedence. I asked what the point of checking the monthly submissions total was then and they did not know.

SO - As per Reckon's / Rav's directions/instructions I have fudged the figures using an -ve adjustment and submitted the EOFY report with the correct values for the Financial Year 2019-20.
I have stated to Rav above that this is a deeply unsatisfactory work around, when I have correctly submitted all the data throughout the year.

Regards

Vincent

Photo of James

James

Hi Vincent,  you asked :
Can you see if your months in error have a similar difference between submission and approval months

Yes, mine do as well. You suggest a possible hypothesis for the error, but there is not enough information to know if this is the cause. We need the devs to have a look at the code and see why this error is occurring.

There are an increasing number of people being affected by and reporting this error, and it is only 2 July. I intend to wait a week or so for the number of complaints to become high enough for someone at Reckon to pay attention and find/fix the problem.

(Edited)
Photo of Joseph Li

Joseph Li

• 3,452 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
James,
The App Pay Summary shows YTD totals. Business Portal shows pay runs figures. Several scenarios could cause YTD totals to be different from the sum of pay runs. Rav has elaborated on the scenarios. When there are no errors throughout the year YTD totals would be equal to sum of pay runs.
According to the ATO STP specification YTD totals have to be submitted together with a pay run.
I guess the EOFY adjustment would eliminate the need to check myGov income statement which is overwritten by the EOFY adjustment.

The specification page is here.

Photo of Kevin

Kevin

Has anyone got any rational why ato doesn't do a reporting portal themselves? If ato "recommends" certain providers (each probably as bad as each other) then surely that should require the software provider to provide an accurate and reliable service.
Photo of James

James

Photo of James

James

Photo of Ari Gold

Ari Gold

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
JAMES. I HAVE TRIED TO LOOK AT THE ACTUAL HELP FOR THIS ISSUE FROM RECKON AND YOU ARE MAKING IT SO FUCKING HARD WITH ALL YOUR SPAM ON EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.
I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT HOW MANY THREADS THERE ARE, I NEED TO ACTUALLY SOLVE THIS.
Photo of Michael Cameron

Michael Cameron

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Hi All, doesn't make a lot of sense why this is occurring to a load of people. If my simple spreadsheet works then how can software not add up the pay runs correctly. Agreed that doing an adjustment is the workaround, but some people may not check and submit the report thinking that it would be impossible to be wrong.
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

So what's more important, the weekly submissions which ato has confirmed is correct or the end of year total submission (which is added up incorrectly by Reckon)

If I submit the stp end year totals as is, will it change the numbers that's already previously submitted?

Do I do a manual adjustment before submitting the end of year totals? But then that manual adjustment will make the totals wrong on the ato end?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 104,516 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kevin,
I've posted this earlier on in this thread but I'll copy it below as it should answer your query -

To confirm the initial adjustment that you make to correct the Pay Summary figures in the app will also go to the ATO and change the figures they have.
However, once the balances in the app are correct, you then send through the EOFY Finalisation. This will then go through to the ATO and OVERWRITE the figures they have ie. from your previous submissions & adjustments sent previous to that point. 
So.. long story short. As long as the balances for each of your employees are correct in the EOFY Report in the app, THAT will be full & final figures sent to the ATO which will overrule everything that came before it.
Photo of scott

scott

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
so Rav, now my 19/20 years shows nothing, should i re enter individual pay entries to overright, or just one total figure for the year. i think the former will be the way to overright athe figures entered at the ATO ?
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 60 Points
Similar issues here, and the ATO are looking into it but believe it is a problem with the Reckon software. In my case, I do not have any draft or error submissions, just 12 successful payment runs. I've noticed that the Reckon and ATO totals are consistent and precisely equal the sum of the 18-19 and 19-20 financial years for all employees, despite the fact that I only started using the app and STP reporting in July 2019. The impression I got from the ATO was that this did not seem to be a common issue outside of the Reckon software, so is it possible there is a glitch in the initial setup that could be causing this?