One styep update failing - Personal Plus 2016

Options
Chris Vening
Chris Vening Member Posts: 18
Trying to change to a new windows 10 computer and get this error with one step update. The error message changes everytime.  I have had 7271 & 7259 & 7378. The stupid program then closes with the message "Reckon Accounts Launcher has stopped working- All properly licenced   image

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Could you please try updating one element at a time, ie. first select share downloads only (untick currency) then update. After this, select the currency download option (untick the share downloads) then update.

Once completed, try updating both at the same time and let me know if the issue persists.

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt reply. It is screwy. Shares update ran but did not change any value. Currency update ran for 20 minutes, I cancelled it and although it seemed to run, again no value changed. Neither individual update caused the program to stop working. Both updates together ran without closing but gave this (new) error message. I will run side by side for a while to see what I can actually trust. Hopefully before my winn7 PC fails. look forward to your answer. would start over with a new installtion key help?? image
  • Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Restored Copy Personal Plus fails to work. Is not Win10 ready despite paying for .... restoring a backup so I can run on my new Win10 pc with the Win10 paid for upgrade and I can't enter a share trade without this error and the program closing. I am sick of this software being so incapable of working with Win10. Wasted most of a day just trying to get working on Win10image
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Chris,

Are you attempting to download US share info during this process?

There was an issue impacting this aspect which has been resolved this afternoon however it did not present the outcome that you've highlighted above.

If you are downloading US share price info and receiving this error, please follow the steps within this KB article and let me know if there is any change.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    apologies but the issue is a damn restored copy won't work. everything is fine on win7 PC and crap on the Win10 machine. Shouldn't I be able to restore a copy and have it restore perfectly?? I have also tried saving and opening through dropbox (yes saved locally after opening) with same error and boot out. What am I missing?

btw I PAID for the software and resent having to be a developer by proxy through a community of other disappointed customers. I know delegated effort when I see it
  • Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I don't have USA shares but I don't see that as the issue. Thanks again.... Chris
  • Rav
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I appreciate what you're saying Chris, however the Community is a legitimate support channel and we're more than happy to guide our users in resolving most issues or answer questions.

I fully understand and agree that this issue is out of the ordinary in respect to Reckon Accounts Personal 2016 and Windows 10 compatibility as this edition should be working for you seamlessly on this OS.

Can I please ask that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstallation of your Personal Plus 2016 as outlined in the support article here. In particular the ISSetup.exe option listed.

Let me know how you get on

Thanks
    Rav

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That one-time forst error screen shown by Chris comes up whenever a fresh install or change in profiule login takes place.  Other forum articles here talk of the close it , login  and OK approach.

Meantime,  late this afternoon, the other aspect can be overcome for Chriss too.  Good news on the US Stock price aspect too!

replacement:  qwutil.dll  now sorts out reaching Markt On Demand late today
    over at 209.234.234.183.    See fix at tail end of page 2 of:
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/why-have-us-share-prices-stopped-updating-on-personal-plu...

Gary
  • Chris Vening
    edited February 2017
    Options
    complete un-install from the Win10 laptop following everything to the letter inc Revo. Fresh install and restore from a new backup. No difference and another 2 hours wasted. Did get another new error message number though. This is sillyimage
  • Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    see update below - nothing changes - still can't get it working on the win10 pc
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Chris

Say 'Don't send'  to that error message.  then you must REBOOT and log in again to clear that first -time error, as per previous suggestion by me today

The reason is,  that the memory version  of  DLL's loaded into the system immediately after an uninstall/reinstall, don't match the freshly installed DISK COPY of the files.   This same predicament comes about when creating fresh profiles in a running system.

Let's know how you go.

Gary
  • Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    thanks Gary but no change - same error and still can't transact any shares
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    so just when are you going to ring and get this sorted?

Gaz
  • Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    call who please gary
    I really don't want to spend hours on the phone
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm up for the challenge....  0408994799 and I'll call back - my treat!

Gary
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    For the record:

Observations from a remote session by Gaz looking at this on CHris'  Win10 box.

a) moved the Win10 files via dropbox back to the working win7 pro box - and the ability to use the product was OK.   That would suggest the DATA files are 100%.

b)  currency can download,  Aust prices are updating,  and there are NO ticked US items.... so updates should (and appear to) work OK.

c)  But the issue on the WIN10 box alone,  is that a local transaction to buy/deal in a share does NOT work.  It yields the same error screen, with varying error codes:  7304   7246    7378    7271    7259 .....   7361......

d)  The Win10  PRO box is activated and has been rebooted cleanly, and PP2016 starts up fine.  Its just point (c) that fails.

e)  Malware Bytes AV and firewall had been turned off by Chris prior to Gary's remote session of testing tonight - so that aspect has been eliminated.

f)  Because Chris does NOT deal in $US stocks, he has been reluctant until now to consider replacing the qwutil.dll file released today (20th June),  because it seems unrelated to the SYMPTOM in (c).     But nobody really knows what else the qwutil.dll file may be doing,  in addition to items improved version now dealing appropriately with Markit On Demand for US price downloads.   But  it is fair to say that others who UNTICKED US pricing,  were able to do share trading transactions prior to today.  So that would suggest there is still something else is inhibiting PP2016 from running (c) on this p[articular Win10 box of Chris'.

g)  retraced all the steps suggested by RAV.  Nothing obviously invorrect there.

h)  Looked at UAC  settings  (default) and default APPS (running Google CHROME as default browser)  rather than the preferred Internet Explorer 11.  But again, the issue is NOT internet related we feel.   (At least EDGE is off the list!)

i)  The things we DON'T know.....  

-  WIN10 updates intervening  PP2016 installation sequence.   Not researched yet,
    -  other software installed on this particular environment.

Some more thinking required on THIS one.....

Sorry

Gary
  • Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    amazing effort gary. I appreciate both your knowledge and persistance with this odd issue. BTW I did try the 6 files that work in win7 in the win 10 version and as you suggested indeed it did fail
  • Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Gary, I followed one of your many thoughts and opened and transacted in the share account in the sample file on the Win10 Machine. It worked. I then opened my data file and the share transfer worked for the 1st time today. I have no idea why but only once. it did not work again once closed the program. I can get it to work if I run the sample file transaction beforehand 
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Chris

- that's a strange combination.  It would seem that the use of the sample file - or something associated with priming up the program makes some difference, from that observation you have made.

When you say you opened the sample file and then the real file,  
    -  do you keep the pp2016 program under win10 running and just swap files?
    -  Or do you close the whole PP2016 session and load the program from scratch with the real file?  

Just wondering if there is some temporary file or setting getting 'primed up' by the use of the sample file which keeps going - be it all for only ONE transaction success.

Sorry it is laborious - but all these clues (and the ones ticked off the suspect list) all help form a path to possibly detecting the culrpit here.

Cheers

Gary

• Chris Vening
    edited November 2016
    Options
    morning Gary - Last night I used the sample file to enter and transact share with success. opened my data file and was only able to transact shares once.
    This morning I have established that I can get PP2016 working when the data is located where the sample file is stored. Initally I just loaded the 6 files into the sample file folder and tested everything including closing and opening and had fails when the documents folder is used. I then did a fresh backup from Win7 and restored it to the program\intuit\quicken\sample folder. it has restored 100% and so far, run perfectly. What are your thoughts about it seeming to be the my documents folder storage being the issue? is there any issue with using the program\intuit\quicken\sample folder?

appreciate your efforts and thoughts??

• gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Chris

The immediate observation, is that the c:\Users\chris.....       area has some WIn10 privileges that differ from teh  system area like  c:\ProgramData\Intuit....   area.    On the one hand there will be UAC (User Access Control) settings or privileges that  a 'USER" has the right to enjoy,  and on the other hand,  there are system-wide (WIn10) level privileges of performing certain functions (on files,  by programs).  

And that combination will vary,  site by site,  depending on the combinations of:
    a)  the 'user' (or administrators group privileged user)   LOGIN account in action 
    b)  the background privileges that are set/enabled/permitted for such a user (a)
    c)  other privileges/security settings that the Win10 'enviornment' has set for program execution rights (for files and programs permitted to use the c:\ProgramData\.... area
    d)  'possible' but not 'probably'  RELATED tools, services or processes that ar called up during the execution of any particular program, which may in turn be dependent on some other program.   This is a difficult one to pinpoint.  In your specific example of what appears to be simply wishing to add a transaction into a .QDF  database,  you can be excused for jumping immediately to the expectation that it should be 100% self-contained to one program and one database.  But,  operating systems and programs that use/call/rely upon operating system tools (dll files for instance) and registry settings that dictate privilege/permission rules, restrictions - can impact an operation.

The one-off ability to proceed with a transaction and subsequently cease,  is a real curiosity though.  Much of my research with yo has focussed on what triggers an ability to work OR NOT.  But you've uncovered a combination where one process can in fact proceed successfully, but THEN stop.  That's a different ball game, I agree.

This topic is by no means solved yet,  in that the behaviour is not yet explained.  But your terrific observation of the 'location' making the difference,  will permit an immediate workaround for you to push on with the preferred laptop at last.

I'd also suggest you retrofit the qwutil.dll  file  (not for the above matter)  but to ensure you leave the door open to being able to use all the features (including US Stocks) despite you having no personal need at present.

Clearly though,  this topic demonstrates yet another of the many SYETM ENVIRONMENT impacts upon software.   I'd seek your agreement to the observations raised at this article,  where we have been seeking to demonstrate that sometimes, issues occur that relate to matters outside of the product in quyestion, in this case PP2016.   Refer:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/system-environment-solutions-provided-by-reckon-community...

Cheers for now.

Gary

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"