Error installing .Net 1.1, error:1603, while reinstall QuickBooks 2011/12

William Qian
William Qian Member Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

I am getting Error 1603 while reinstall QuickBooks 2011/12: Error Installing .Net 1.1

I had QuickBooks installed on Windows 8.1. When I have to reinstall the QuickBooks. I am getting above error. I am now upgrade to windows 10. It gives me same error when installing QuickBooks.

Appreciated if any one can help!

Comments

• Jim Pepperell
    Jim Pepperell Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Hi William,

Were you able to overcome this issue?  I have the same problem. New Laptop loaded with Windows 10 and trying to install Quickbooks 2011/12 Easystart.

I have tried running setup.exe as administrator but still fails at same point.

Regards,
    Jim
  • William Qian
    edited February 2017
    Hi Jim,

Unfortunately not. I still can't use Quickbooks on my new laptop. I have to work on the old computer. It is very annoying. 

• Jim Pepperell
    Jim Pepperell Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Hi William, You may be interested to know I have successfully reloaded my Easystart onto a new computer under Windows version 10. I did the following.

I suggest backing up your database from your old computer to a portable device (eg USB drive or External HDD) first.

Locate the control panel app by typing Control Panel in the search bar
    Select Programs (bottom left) and Uninstall programs
    From the list of programs select .Net 1.12 and uninstall.

Next you need to disable any antivirus software. I actually chose to delete the McAfee AV from my laptop as Windows 10 has MS Security essentials installed anyway. Dont ask me how to disable or stop the AV software. Removal of AV software is same as in step above except uninstall the AV program (eg McAfee AV)

Then I went to the directory I previously extracted the files to and right clicked Setup.exe. From the dropdown menu I chose Run as administrator and after accepting the conditions and entering the licence key, it installed correctly.

A few things to note:

When you first open up Easystart from the icon it places on the desktop, it will open a dialogue box to create a new company. Dont do this, simply close the dialogue box and a new panel will open with several options. Chose Load an existing company from backup (.MBB) and a file open dialogue box will open. Select the backup you made before and all your data will be loaded in this new install.

Next you need to activate the new install of Easystart. Somewhere in the install process it generates a new Product key so your current Activate code wont work. You need to ring Reckon on the 1300 number, Option 1 to activate your product, then quote your ID number, PIN number and a few other details and they will give you a new activation code over the phone. Simples :-)

So now you should be good to go. Happy hunting.
    Jim

• William Qian
    edited February 2016
    Hi Jim,

Thank you so much! It is GREAT to hear that you have worked out your installation. I have ready your way. How ever, there is no .Net 1.12 installed on my system. So, I downloaded >Net Framework 1.1 Package. Then, the Setup failed with message "Microsoft .Net Framework Setup Fail. If this problem continues, contact Product Support Services."

So, I am still not going any where. Pretty frustrated with a new laptop can not use.

Last thing to do is uninstall Windows 10 if I have to.

Thank you!
    William

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    William.

You mentioned you installed .net 1.1.   Well, for older Reckon products, yes they need the old original v1.1.   For more recent products,  v3.5 (which includes v2.0 and 3.) will suffice.  And the latest version is actually v4.6.

But installing the product doesn't necessarily activate it for running.  There is a step needed, to actually turn it ON, once installed.

It is outlined rather nicely at this website:  (credit due where deserved!).

http://support.curse.com/hc/en-us/articles/204270095--Curse-Client-v5-Turn-On-Off-NET-Framework

In case that article ever disappears,  permit me to share an extract.....

To locate it you will need to type in "Turn Microsoft features on or off" or "Turn Windows features on or off" into the search in the taskbar (next to your Start button).  Then click on the Turn Windows features on or off option that appears.  
    Be sure to pick the result that has CONTROL PANEL in it! (not some browser article)

Then ensure there is a TICK box in the appropriate .NET feature.  Here's a screenshot of mine:
    (in my case, the last test was for Reckon 2013, where .net 3.5 containing 2.0 and 3.5 sufficed)

ANOTHER REMINDER for older versions of RECKON ACCOUNTS (formerly Quickbooks...)
    -  another forum article mentions the trick of transferring the CD kit of the legacy version of Reckon accounts, from the CD kit, to a spare hard drive folder,  and renaming the folder that relates to that kit's attempt to install ".net v1.1" (given that you have manually done that step).

Running the setup.exe from the hard disk temporary folder, should by-pass the step of trying to install .net again.  OR:  if it is activated as suggested above, then perhaps that attempt will skip. Sorry, I couldn't quicklly locate that particular article.  I think it was from fellow Community contributor:  John Graetz in the past fortnight, assisting a user with a really old version like 2009 or 2011 or something.

Cheers

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au 
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"

• G Force Accounts
    G Force Accounts Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017
    I too have this error. I have quickbooks accounting 2010/11 on disk which I need to move from a desktop to a laptop. It went on to the desktop as a windows7 a few years ago and had no issues. the desktop got upgraded to windows 10 and quickbooks still worked ok. New laptop is windows10, the annual version, but trying to install, after entering the Installation key code, shortly after it gives this error.  Where you wrote about going to Control Panel, is that on the old machine or the new one?  Is it safe to just uninstall it without making a copy in case it is needed for something else?
    I have backups but I can't see any individual files on them. Only thing is shows when mouse goes to it is "install".  But this is the backup of the company file not the program.  I am sorry I don't quite follow all this. Can you elucidate?
    Thnx, Jean.