Error installing Reckon Accounts 2019 on Windows 10: Error 1920.Service QuickBooks Database Manager

Helen Case
Helen Case Member Posts: 24
edited July 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
HELP!!! No phone support available.
Brand new desktop computer.  Trying to install Reckon accounts Premier 2019 - upgrade onto Windows 10.  Error 1920.Service QuickBooks Database Manager Serviced failed to start.
Older version of software on another (XP) computer. Cannot get any solutions from community page and Reckon not taking support calls.

Comments

• Diane W
    Diane W Member Posts: 41
    edited July 2020

Hi Helen,

I am just returning to Reckon Desktop so it's been a few years in between, but in the past I was told by my software Reckon guru that if you need to update from an older version you need to update year by year, not jump multiple years in the one upgrade, as Reckon just doesn't like it.  When we did it that way there wasn't a problem.  I am also referring to the days when upgrades and new versions of the software came as CD's only so I am showing my age here!

Good Luck with this.

Di
  • Helen Case
    edited June 2019

Thanks Di.  Yes, it SHOULD have been that easy.  As it turns out, after 1.25 hrs on hold, a Reckon person found some obscure back place where certain computer options were not correctly ticked / selected.  I would NEVER have found these and they are not part of the normal Reckon upgrade process.  But all good now.  Tks for your reply
  • Helen Case
    edited August 2019
    Ok, so the solution for Windows 10 is ...

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off

If the check boxes for .NET Framework 3.5 & 4.7 are not ticked it means they are not fully active.  You need to open the sub directories on each and tick them to activate / fully tick the feature.  Then, voila, the upgrade will work!

• Tanya Briggs
    Tanya Briggs Accredited Partner Posts: 75 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2019
    Thank you Helen for posting this solution, I have been trying to install RA2019 for hours now and this was the solution that finally worked!

• Helen Case
    edited July 2019

I'm glad the information has been helpful; and hopefully others will get the benefit too.  Tks for your post.
  • Christine Gooding
    Christine Gooding Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2019

Hi I have exactly the same problem will follow your instructions Helen Thankyou Chris
  • SCI admin
    SCI admin Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2019
    Thank you Helen. I have had the same issue Do I have to go and untick in control panel? Or leave it now to the changes?
  • Steve Micallef
    Steve Micallef Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2019
    Thankyou Helen - this resolved my issue.

For reference, once windows features settings are changed the computer needs to complete a restart. I hadn't exited the Install wizard for Reckon QB, so I selected don't restart - and first went and cancelled the Install Wizard which rolled back the installation.
    I then went back to the windows features screen by typing "windows features" in the search box on the bottom task bar next to the windows icon - then clicked on the "turn windows features on or off" icon.

Once in this screen my .NET Framework 3.5 check box was blank, and my .NET Framework 4.7 was filled in black colour. When I expanded both there were selections for each that were unfilled. I clicked a tick into all boxes for both selections, and a tick appear in the box next to the parent once all selections were complete.
    I then clicked ok and allowed the computer to restart.

When the computer had restarted, I found the QB files which were saved from my incomplete install from before the reboot (which were in my C:/Temp folder), and clicked on the Setup application file. This restarted the installation, which required me to re-enter my installation key, but the install only needed to install the additional files it missed on the original process so was quickly up to the install wizard stage and progressed through from there without issues.

Thanks again for posting your findings - I am not very I.T. savy and rely on people such as you sharing knowledge to resolve issues. Very much appreciated.
  • Trevor Chivell_10031800
    Trevor Chivell_10031800 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019
    Does anyone every get a resolution from this site. Simple question; convoluted answers. OR irrelevant answers. Trevor Chivell

• Trevor Chivell_10031800
    Trevor Chivell_10031800 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019
    Hi Helen Case, I also have been using QuickBooks since 1996. BUT I have nothing to upgrade on this new computer. Virgin computer will not install Recon Accounts 2019 as a new installation. Error 1920. Why? Any thoughts. Trevor Chivell
  • Deebekay
    Deebekay Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2019
    Hi Kevin

I'm also having some problems installing Reckon Accounts Premier 2019 on a Dell XPS Notebook running Windows 10 - could I give you a call to ask you a couple of questions
  • Kym Hof
    Kym Hof Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2019
    Helen you are a genius thank you!!!
  • Deebekay
    Deebekay Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2019
    Hi Kevin

I resolved the problem by letting Windows 10 do a disk cleanup before trying again

Took about 4 hours for the cleanup and then relaunched setup and it went through perfectly

I broadned the problem from being QB related after I noticed a Dell update produced the exact same problem
  • Yakov Morris
    Yakov Morris Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2019
    I just had the same problem and found these possible solutions. I followed Helen's directions and tried again. It loaded properly. Thank you :-)
  • Daniel Cozzolino
    Daniel Cozzolino Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2020
    I had the same problem on fresh install of Windows 10.  You will need to d/l & install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and the Reckon DB service will be able to register.  
  • Shayb Khan Sultan
    Shayb Khan Sultan Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020
    Helen, it's perfect! Thanks a lot!
  • Sue Knyvett
    Sue Knyvett Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    Helen's suggestion solved the problem for me, thanks Helen :)

• berniedehmel
    berniedehmel Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2020

during the installation of my trial program, I had a popup rear it's ugly head with the following message:

Error 1920. Service Quickbooks Database Manager Service (QBCFMonitorService) failed to start

here we are 30 Sept 2020 and this issue still persists...

all thanks go to Helen Case who provided the workaround for this same installation problem 👍

let's hope a fix to the installation (or at the very least, a mention in the installation documentation) makes it's way to the surface soon 🙄

• berniedehmel
    berniedehmel Member Posts: 20

@Zappy

Yes. You are correct and I stand happily corrected 👍

I was referring to the Installation & Upgrade Guide Installation & Upgrade Guide https://help.reckon.com/article/pajb161jmi#installing_reckon_accounts at the time I was downloading and installing the trial software but when I didn't see it on that main page, I immediately went to the forums as they've proved insightful in the past which is where I found the post I referred to...

After getting your reply this morning, I retraced my steps to include a more thorough search of the documentation which included investigating that sidebar/contents menu on the left; namely the Troubleshooting - Reckon Accounts drop down menu, where a search (ctrl + f) in that sidebar (itself) brought me to the link you reference, which, if I had my wits about me at the time, I would have discovered for myself 🤨

Thanks to you and Rav and the forum community, I've been able to get my bookkeeping needs sorted. No doubt I'll be seeking guidance in the future as I come to grips with this upgrade but from my first investigations of the Trial Company and a resto of an old company file I no longer use that covered the period off 2002 - 2007, all that data seemed intact and usable so I'm chuffed at this point with my decision to make the jump to the Reckon Accounts Plus Desktop Software 😎

• TimDay
    TimDay Member Posts: 1

I had the same problem with a brand new installation of Reckon Accounts 2021 stalling near the end but not getting past the Error 1920 box. I followed Helen's fix with good results. I am doing this in 2022, loading a new installation onto a fresh install of Windows 10, and found that the solution was listed in the above Community logs of 2019. Hopefully this solution will be put front and centre in the downloading problems rather than the current offering which had a number of futile steps, for me at least.