How to resolve installation error 1920 - Accounts Business on Win Surface Pro?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
I am trying to install Reckon accounts 13/14 on a surface Pro- It comes up with error 1920- services database can't start. I have read through the help where it tells me manually change all of the account files in the directory??? Nothing seems to be working
Photo of Tania Chapman

Tania Chapman

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Inigo

Inigo

• 6,320 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tania,

Try the following steps which may get around the "Error 1920: Service QB Database Manager Service failed to start" issue.

Browse to the contents of the folder from which you are installing and find the autorun.exe file.

If ‘file extensions are hidden’, you should see a few autorun files listed, only one of them will say Application in the Type column:
Capture2

Right click that file & choose Properties.

Enable the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose Windows 7 or Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

Capture

Click OK and run the autorun.exe file. 

-IM
Photo of Gordon Thorpe

Gordon Thorpe

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I hope everyone with this problem can find this post - it is the only advice that worked.  I had the dreaded "Error 1920. Service QuickBooks Database manager" message and .Net framework 3.5.1 would not turn on.  I have a windows 10 Tablet and have wasted three days scrolling through help forums trying to get past the error.  manual installation wouldn't work because Windows 10 takes much of the control away from the user - it would only start the process of turning on the .NET framework if it was connected to the internet, and then it always failed with a 0X800F0831 error.

By running the Reckon install in compatibility mode (I chose Windows 7) the .Net framework actually installed and the reckon installation could finally complete.  For people needing access to their accounts during an extended trip and hoping that a Tablet could run the program, take heart - it can.  It's definitely not designed for a tablet, but you can at least make it work and slowly get your tasks done (albeit a bit fiddly).

end result - THIS SOLUTION WORKED
Photo of Tania Chapman

Tania Chapman

Sorry  IM that didn't work
Photo of Tania Chapman

Tania Chapman

do you have any other suggestions

Photo of Tania Chapman

Tania Chapman

Is anyone able to help me with error 1920

Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tania

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  It may be because your Surface Pro does not have .Net Framework 3.5 turned on.  

Do the following:

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Turn windows features on or off;

2. Scroll down to .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) – tick it and click OK;

3. Wait while .NET Framework is downloaded from the internet and installed;

4. When complete, reboot the Surface Pro tablet and install Accounts Business 2013 again.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
John
(Edited)
Photo of Tracey Dann

Tracey Dann

Thank you. I experience the same issue with the Surface Pro and this solution worked perfectly.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tracey, thanks for letting us know and welcome to the Reckon Community. I'm happy to hear this solution was successful on your end! Cheers, Mirko.
Photo of Aishah Nathar

Aishah Nathar

• 60 Points
I am thinking of purchasing a surface pro.Are any of the surface pro compatible with Reckon Accounts Pro and Reckon Personal Plus?
Thank you. 
Hajijohn
Photo of Andre Baruch

Andre Baruch

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks John.  It worked.  Appreciate the advice as Reckon's site is rather frustrating :-)  Andre

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.