Error importing IIF files

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
I'm trying to import lists from one company to another using an IIF file but get the message "Error on Line 10: You can't change the type of an account". What can I do to fix this?
Photo of Alexei Behr

Alexei Behr

• 70 Points
  • Frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Shane

Shane, Employee

• 7,448 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Alexei,

Thanks for your question.  The reason you get this error is because there is an account in the new company file the same name as an account in the IIF file you are importing, but they are of different types.  Rather than trying to fix the IIF file which may take along time its quicker to start a new company file, but when setting it up skip the interview, choose the option "Other None" when it asks how your company is setup and it gives options like Company Tax Return, etc.  Also on the question about your industry chart of accounts choose Other None.  This will give you a clean file with just the 5 mandatory accounts.  You can then import the IIF file for Chart of Accounts and you shouldnt get that message anymore.

Let me know how it goes. 

Regards,
Shane.
Photo of Stuart

Stuart

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Shane,
i have tried this method of selecting the interview question of "Other None" but am getting a error "The Taxable setting in tax code NCG has been changed. This cannot be imported". How do I fix this?
Photo of Broni K Beerling

Broni K Beerling

• 758 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am getting the same message - how do we import iif file with this happening
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stuart & Broni,

You'll find steps to resolve this issue in this article.

regards,
John
Photo of dorothy

dorothy

• 624 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi

I am using Reckon Account 2013 and have not encountered any problem in importing iif in past 2 years. Now, the program cannot perform. Message prompt:  Encounter problem and the program is shutting down. Please advise.
Photo of Stuart

Stuart

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes this fixed it for me
Photo of Broni K Beerling

Broni K Beerling

• 758 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
John do you know of a way to delete inactive items before I import the item list or do I have to physically sit here and hit edit delete each and every item - I have around 1000 items to delete 
Photo of DebonAir

DebonAir

• 5,952 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I found the best way around this was to not select the Tax Code List to export, then all should work easily.
HI , We do have the stock import tool that can do this , for you , if you wish we can do this for you once off FREE i will need your file
If you wish to discuss you can call me on 0407068942

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.