exporting account list

Options
Steve Jones
Steve Jones Member Posts: 2
edited June 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I am creating a new data file as the old one is too big and getting sluggish. I have exported all the list except the accounts list, as it tells me that I "cannot change account type" even though I don't try to change anything

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Are you getting this message when you try to import?
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Usually means there are double up names in the import file? Open in excel and check?
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Steve

If you are creating a file to import lists, you need to chose 'none' on the setup, this saves a lot of hassle, it may eliminate these messages.

If you did chose a chart of accounts from the list, can you delete the new file and start again?

Did you try purging the old file to reduce it?
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Good point!  of course there would be double ups if the new file was created with some default accounts!  
  • Steve Jones
    Steve Jones Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2019
    Options
    But it did that before I started inputting anything into the new datafile. I exported all the lists I needed and imported them and they all were fine, except the accounts list which says "Error on Line 5: You cannot change account type" - which I didn't do, all I did was export then import. We have a huge datafile, that's why we need a new one every two years and this is the first year it comes up with this error message.
    I didn't purge the old file (do you mean throw out unused names?). 
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi Steve

I mean 'File menu>utilitie> clean up company data.

Does the error stop you importing the whole list or can does it give you a chance to skip that actual line
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2019
    Options
    You should be able to open the import file - look at line 5 and see where the problem is?  then you can delete this line and it should import...

I would also suggest that you delete all the accounts that were created when you made the new file before you try importing the accounts from your old file?

Sounds like a big job to create a new file every 2 years?  How big is your file?  are you sure that the sluggishness isnt just because the TLG file has gotten huge?