File paper vat return?

Options
Mushroom
Mushroom Member Posts: 10
edited July 2018 in Reckon One
Can anyone tell me how I can mark a draft VAT return as filed?  Basically I was unable to use Reckon One to file a VAT return as it was the first return, and reckon is only capable of filing a quarter period.  The draft is sitting there as a draft still and I would like to close it off.

Comments

• Jon_7579451
    Jon_7579451 Alumni Posts: 43
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi Mushroom

In the UK, we have a slightly different method for managing VAT returns.

As of today, you cannot manually update a VAT return status from 'Draft' to filed. This is something we may change, though I am mindful of the Making Tax Digital for VAT requirements. Based on HMRC guidance, I believe it will be mandatory to file returns using Reckon One from April 2019.

Can we set up a call to discuss the issue you faced with this particular VAT return? We need to understand the detail better so we can find the best way to resolve for you. if you email your contact details to reckononeuk@reckon.com I will be in touch to arrange a suitable time to talk.

Regards

Jon Martingale
    Reckon One UK
  • Mushroom
    Mushroom Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi Jon, I can't get through on your phoneline, basically it is normal for a first return to be longer than the usual quarter but reckon one is not capable of picking up and filing for a longer period.  I have found when VAT is filed it doesn't tag the entries either meaning any late bills/receipts that need to be dropped into a filed quarter cannot be automatically picked up by the system and dropped into the current period.  Bookkeepers regularly receive late receipts, it isn't unusual for a client to clear out his pockets and find a pile of unclaimed receipts from a previous period.

I discovered this when a client unlocked a VAT period to enter older receipts, he thought he was helping me by entering these for me and trashed his way though the company file, it took me a day to sort out.  I have to now take a note of all prior entries on a spreadsheet to ensure they are included. For those clients who do some work themselves I now have to export the filed VAT entries on a spreadsheet when filing, then in the next VAT run export a report for all VAT entries, prior and current to cross-reference and account for prior changes, then manually calculate what each entry should be in box 1 to 9 in the VAT return and file the return via HMRC's portal.  This creates extra layers of work and is prone to errors.

Hope this explains the issues, other systems have a way of individually closing off individual entries rather than a whole period, locking all down at the end of a VAT filing is too restrictive. 
  • Jon_7579451
    Jon_7579451 Alumni Posts: 43
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification Mushroom.