File size and fragments

Simon Denham
Simon Denham Member Posts: 18
edited June 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hello,
Does excessive DB File fragments cause corruption of responsiveness issues?
How many DB File fragments are reasonable?
How does one reduce these?

Here is what I have: 

I am trying to avoid starting a new company file, which in my limited view is the most perverse action I could take. I fail to comprehend why I need to interrupt 9 years of business data for anything short of a catastrophe...

Thanks in advance
Simon

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited June 2020
    Hi Simon,
    We generally advise not more than 50 DB file fragments in a company file. 
    Do you usually perform maintenance on your company file? If not, its something I'd highly recommend that you start implementing into your routines and in particular, the steps outlined in the below article as a starting point -
    How to improve the performance of your company file

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Bruce
    Bruce Member Posts: 439 Professional Partner Professional Partner
    edited June 2020
    Rav
    Has the Knowledge Base been restructured?   

I went to save this article on my "knowledge base - saved items" page kb.reckon.com//bookmarks only to be re-directed to help.reckon.com

Assuming it has changed, how do I recover my bookmarks?  

thanks

Bruce
  • Bruce McRae
    Bruce McRae Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2020
    Is that relevant to RAH??
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Two points..looks like file hasn't been rebuilt for nearly a year? And how bout is .tlg file? Resort lists, backup with full verify, rebuild x 3 times..check that tlg file has gone back to small kbs..
  • Simon Denham
    edited June 2020
    Hello Rav,

Following the guidance provided:

5.    Print Forms have long queues of unprinted transactions that are never to be printed. 

Clear the queues – print to a PDF printer until all queues eliminated

How are the forms cleared from the queues? it is not clear whether these forms are in a queue or just part of the ledger than can be printed when selected.
    I have printed all the forms to pdf and they still appear in the list next time, so I am unsure whether I am clearing a queue or not. Or am I missing something obvious.

Simon

• Simon Denham
    edited June 2020
    Hello Linda,

The .tlg file is larger than the .qbw file.

I'll follow the steps and post back.
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
    Aha! Once you clear that (backup with verify will do this) you will notice a marked improvement in performance!
  • Simon Denham
    edited June 2020
    Hello,

I resorted lists, created and restored a portable file to a new working folder.
    The .tlg file is now 1344KB.

This is what I have now:

I will follow the other guidance notes and post back with a final screenshot.
    From what i understand, we have been backing up, but not then using the backup as the working copy, just continuing using the current file. I feel I have averted a train wreck.
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
  • Simon Denham
    edited June 2020
    It seems much better now, although I remain jaded about how anchored this software is in Win98. I'd pay more for a less clunky accounting package.