Final STP reported and paid 30th June, 2019 but bank statement says 1st July, 2019

Options
Larissa_7048652
Larissa_7048652 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi everyone,
I thought I'd throw this out the Brains Trust (as my brain hurts..)
I have a client who submitted their final pay run and paid it on the 30th of June.
That's fine..
However, the bank shows that the payment went through on the 1st of July..
Should I worry about it?  
Regards
Larissa

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Larissa.  I would say that there is a major drama here.  In the first instance, banks don't as a general rule process any transactions through bank accounts on a Sunday, hence the reason that it is only showing up on 1/7/2019.  That is only a secondary consideration though.  The major consideration is when did the payments arrive in the employees' bank accounts?  If they only arrived on 1/7/2019, technically they are regarded as having only been made on that day and therefore form part of the remuneration for the 2019/2020 year.  Your client would be well advised to seek professional advice with this one or even speak with the ATO.  As to whether or not the ATO would ever pick up the discrepancy is another matter, but that is not something that this forum can speculate on.
    John L G
  • Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,303 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Not at all it’s simply the equivalent of the old outstanding cheque, drawn in one month and presented in the other
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    That might be ok from the employers point of view, Critters222, but over many years the ATO has highlighted the fact that a payment is only deemed to have been made to the employee on the date that they receive it. I would find it impossible to believe in this case that any employee would have received their payment on Sunday 30/6/2019.   As I said earlier, professional advice should be sought.  John L G
  • Larissa_7048652
    Larissa_7048652 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I just spoke to ATO.  Yes - it's on the actual physical date the payment comes out of the bank.  I was instructed to do an update with the correct date so it goes into this financial year and then do another finalistion..
    Thanks everyone for you help.