Getting rid of old Invoices from my Open Invoices reports

Rebecca_7630369
Rebecca_7630369 Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
When I do a report on Open Invoices, it bring up old invoices from as far back as 2008 which have been paid but for some reason still appear on my report. How do I get rid of them without effecting any calculation in my system?
I've attached a photo so hopefully you can understand what I mean. Sorry for some reason it's sideways?????Plus I have heaps of old Purchase orders too I need to clear. I've been here for two years and still trying to get around to cleaning up the system. Thanks

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    HI Rebecca - when you run an Accounts Receivable Ageing Summary - do these clients appear on the list but with a NIL balance?  And are you running your BAS on Cash or Accrual?  - the answer to these 2 questions will determine the fix...

The Purchase Orders can just be closed if they are no longer needed...
  • Rebecca_7630369
    edited June 2020
    Hi Linda,

When I run Accounts Receivable Ageing Summary, YES the clients show with a nil balance, for the most part, but there are the odd few with 30cents or 1cent balance from 2008.

When I click on them and go back to the original invoice I could fix it but I'm concerned I'll messing up all the amounts and anything to do with TAX.

I've marked all the account that shouldn't be on there.

Thanks heaps

Rebecca

• Rebecca_7630369
    edited October 2017
    PS: The answer to the second part of your question: I don't know what you mean with this. I do all the reports and then email them to our Accountant. I don't know if this helps at all

• Linda ABC
    edited October 2017
    Hi Rebecca - this is really important - you need to know if you are on Cash or Accrual for your BAS - perhaps call the accountant and ask? also, what reports do you send to the accountant - can you list them?  this will help determine how they work out your BAS - the reason being - if you dont apply payments, even if the amount owing is NIL, and you are on Accruals and you rely on the Tax Summary or Tax Liability reports - then your BAS figures would be wrong for those dates... so its important to know if you are Cash or Accrual and what reports you accountant relies on to determine your BAS figures.  
  • Rebecca_7630369
    edited October 2017
    Ok

End of Month Reports
    Profit & Loss Standards
    Balance Sheet
    Trial Balance
    Aged Receivables
    Aged Payable
    Unpaid Bills
    Payroll Summary
    Tax Liability
    Tax Summary

End of Quarter Reports
    Profit & Loss Standards
    Tax Liability
    Tax Summary

Yearly Reports
    Profit & Loss Standards
    Balance Sheet

Thanks so much for this Linda, I really appreciate it.

Rebecca

• Linda ABC
    edited October 2017
    ok - if you are on cash they can possibly work out the correct figures - although looking at the names on that AR list - I am wondering if there is GST on all your sales or if some have no GST? plus without knowing if you are on Cash or Accrual - I cant tell you to fix the problem the easy way or the slightly more fiddly way... one debtor you have marked actually has a balance owing..so that would need further consideration before fixing... ultimately your accountant will need to be brought into the consideration for fixing (have they ever asked you if the Ageing reports are correct and have you ever told them about the amounts that are incorrect?) - I really think you should either find a copy of a BAS lodgement and look on there to see if you are on cash or accrual (I am expecting it will say accrual?) or give the accountant a call to confirm - if you are on Accrual - the fixes for the ones that have a zero balance are much easier...
  • Rebecca_7630369
    edited October 2017
    Hi Linda

I haven't forgotten about you I'm just in the middle of an Audit for the Office of State Revenue. I'll get back to this probably next week. I just have to get heaps of paperwork together.

Chat soon
    Rebecca

• Linda ABC
    edited October 2017
    all good - no rush... very busy myself!  :)
  • Rebecca_7630369
    edited October 2017
    Hi Linda,

Yes you're right, we are on Accrual.
    I look forward to finding out the secret to cleaning up my invoice list.

Rebecca

• Kathyd
    Kathyd Member Posts: 79

Hi Rebecca or Linda

Did you ever get this sorted and if Yes, How? We are on accrual and I have exactly the same thing. I am tidying up some very old enteries dating back to 2005

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

If you are on accrual basis and are GST registered you will have paid GST on these invoices, so you need to do credits for them in the current quarter to have the benefit of getting the GST back. But this is something I would run by your accountant first

• Rebecca_7630369

Hi Kathy and Kris,

Thanks for replying, I still have odd amounts outstanding.

My Accountant isn't proficient at Reckon unfortunately.

I'll have to get back on his case about it. I don't want to be losing the company money.

Thanks heaps.

Rebecca

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

Actually he doesn’t have to be proficient at Reckon just his accounting. If he says it’s ok to write them off you just do credit notes, but he has to understand why they’re in credit and then make a decision

• Rebecca_7630369

Oh okay, thanks heaps