GST not automatically calculated for in check register

Brent Coker
Brent Coker Member Posts: 10
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
I set the supplier tax code to GST. But when I manually add transactions to the register, I have to go through half of the transactions and manually adjust them to GST (most just show as no gst added). Bloody annoying and time consuming. After all these years I still havn't found a suitable work around for this issue.

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Brent.  My understanding after working for years with Reckon (and previous iterations) is that the GST in a cheque register is generated by the code that you have set up for the relevant expense/asset/liability account to which the entry is going to be posted.  Have you set up the tax codes for these accounts and if so, are they being reflected when you enter a cheque transaction?
    John L G
  • Brent Coker
    edited February 2016
    Hi John. Yes you are correct. The problem is that even after I set all the supplier tax codes to GST, still half of the transactions don't calculate gst (hit seems it works for half of the suppliers, and not the other half). 
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Hi Brent.  I have not set a supplier GST code at all, as I totally rely on the GST code that I have set up for the Income, Expenditure, Asset and Liability accounts to generate the tax code.  This approach works without exception.  If I don't specify the GST code for any of those accounts (not suppliers), no tax code is generated.at all, which seems to be the very issue that you are encountering.  Others may have a different approach, but my approach works just fine and has been doing so for years now.   John L G
  • Brent Coker
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for your advice John, I will try this! 
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Brent

in support of John's suggestion, (which is always on the money!),   I agree with John.  

I've never bothered with separating the GST codes at a supplier level (or customer level).  I haven't had a need to look at that since the days of Sales Tax,  where we had to worry about some customers that were Sales tax Exempt from the 22%.

Like John,  I set up the proper GST (for Income accounts),  NCG (for business expenses), and CAG (for asset accounts), and then each transaction naturally follows the tax rule for allocating that tax percentage (as per that tax code) whenever a bill (or sales invoice) hits that CoA account.  That's the situation for Reckon Accounts, ever since it was Quickbooks Premier v7.4 back in 2001.

NOTE:   When there was an exceptional situation,  like say, COGS for food products that are possibly "FRE" (like meat or single dairy products), then in such exceptional cases,  I'd overwrite the default of NCG.  Same for Loan Accounts to Directors who have used business facilities for private use, the whole lot goes as NCF to the loan, all driven by the rules in the CoA account settings (not the supplier or customer in question, giving rise to the transaction hitting that ACCOUNT)

Gary
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Brent.  Following on from what Gary has spoken about, there is another thing which you could look at, in case you haven't got your preferences set up in a particular way.
    Under Edit> Preferences> General - there is an option  to "Automatically remember account or transaction information" with a couple of options underneath that.  In my case I have selected the option for "Automatically recall last transaction for this name".  When you have this option selected, whenever you go to write a cheque (or enter a bill), the previously recorded transaction for that person will be automatically recalled for you.  As, in many cases the information on subsequent transactions will be similar, it would then only be necessary to amend any dissections with new amounts and new descriptions.  Whatever the tax codes you used previously will automatically be brought forward, again without you having to think about it.  All you then need to do is be aware as to whether or not any of those GST codes need amending e.g. one might have been NCG last time but it is NCF this time around.
    There is also a further suggestion that I have for you.  If you have a regular supplier with different invoices for different purposes e.g. Telstra with an invoice for the office phone, another invoice for broadband and another invoice for mobiles, you can memorise these transactions using a slightly different name such as Telstra (Mobile), Telstra (Broadband) etc.  That way you can recall a previous transactions with specific general ledger accounts and specific GST codes for re-use, time and time again, without the need to try and remember what general ledger account might be applicable.  Memorising transactions is a great way to cover specific situations for suppliers etc which may vary from time to time with relevant general ledger accounts and GST codes.
    John L G.
  • Brent Coker
    edited July 2020
    Ok, I tried all of these suggestions, and its still not working for some suppliers. Given that it works for some but not others, this might be a bug (in my company file not software). No idea how to fix it.
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Hi Brent.  The problem that I have with your reply is that you are again referring to suppliers.  Suppliers has/have nothing to do really with whether or not GST is calculating when you enter the cheque.  The calculation occurs when you have set a tax code for the expense account (in particular).  If you have the tax code set as NCG (tax is payable), or NCF (there is no GST involved), for each expenditure (or other type of account e.g. Asset, Liability, Income) the GST will automatically calculate when you enter the cheque, either as an amount (NCG) or zero (NCF).
    Where this is not working for you, go and have a look at your chart of accounts, look at the ?Tax? column and see how many of your accounts have been set up with a tax code.  If a lot of say your expense accounts don't have a code set up, there is your answer.
    On another front, is it the same expense account/s that are not calculating, or is it random?  If it is the same account/s, the answer is in my previous paragraph.
    Even if no tax codes have been input, it would be simply a matter of entering NCG in the Tax column on your cheque and it should calculate.  
    Are you perhaps indicating that even though you specify or input a tax code when entering a cheque, it still doesn't calculate?  Or is it a case of when you enter the expenditure account, nothing appears?  Again, the answer is as above.
    John L G