Header accounts and data entry

J White
J White Member Posts: 15
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi,

I have Header accounts and sub-accounts in my Chart of Accounts. I do not want any transactions to be entered to the Header account but I also need the account to be active

Is this possible?

Thank you!

Comments

• Charley
    Charley Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Of course, just don't give the header a tax code
  • J White
    edited May 2017
    Hi Charles,

thank you for your reply. My setup may be different but I can enter transactions even without a tax code?
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes, I see that as a problem as well.  Apart from that, there are no tax codes for Asset and Liability Accounts so that "system" cannot be used there.  As far as I am aware there is no way to cater for this other than to use some warning symbols as part of the Header name.
    John L G
  • J White
    edited May 2017
    Hi John,
    thank you. A pity that the old levels do not exist anymore!
  • John Graetz
    edited May 2017
    It is certainly a feature well worth having.  Whilst it might not happen too often that the header account is used, it is very easy to have this happen accidentally, without  readily picking up that this has happened..
    John L G
  • Allan Hamblin_8709759
    Allan Hamblin_8709759 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2017
    In QB 10/11 I think sub a/c automatically show for a choice to be made - maybe not always though - maybe a setting to ensure they do?
  • Shirley Ingle
    Shirley Ingle Accredited Partner Posts: 138 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2020
    Hi J White  Whilst you cannot stop anyone using the header coding, it is very easily identified when you bring up the Profit and Loss. Any entries that show xx - Other is indication that someone has used the Header CofA instead of the Subaccount.
  • Alan Dowling
    Alan Dowling Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    I do not use the Header account but it still shows up as Other!
  • John Graetz
    edited June 2017
    Alan, in my experience, if it shows up even with say a zero amount, it means that transactions have been processed during the report period, without specifying a sub account, even if an original transaction processed that way has been subsequently reversed by journal.  By clicking on say the zero amount, you should be presented with the transactions which have been recorded during the report period.
    John L G
  • Alan Dowling
    Alan Dowling Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    Thanks John, I have been using Reckon for around ten years so I am certain that there if nothing being posted in my header account. If this was the case my reporting would have always been incorrect.