Hosted 2015 on Mobile Phone in NZ

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
I used to be able to log on to my IPhone (think was 5) so would of been Hosted 2014, now have a 6, although only did a few times as screen is small but it did work, Now it does not – issue came up as a client tried to log in on a large Samsung phone as has same issue in that you can log in but bounces back to the 2015 screen after entering log in and password. Anyone else got this problem ? 
Photo of Gail Lewis

Gail Lewis, Accredited Partner

• 1,316 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 50,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Would HAVE
Photo of Gail Lewis

sorry Kevin don't understand that reply
Photo of Greg Geltch

Greg Geltch

• 728 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes, me too Gail. Posted about it a couple of days ago. No answer yet from Reckon. Full stop after the HAVE, please Kevin.
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 50,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Greg mate, just call me spot. The deliberate mistake.
Hi, Reckon hosted, is not working on my mobile phone,have already confirmed with support, it does not work on mobile phone, not optimised for mobile phones. Remember Reckon hosted is Desktop version on hosted for desktop pc. As developers, its not easy to get all the screens tweaked in a small screen. it does not have cloud technology. i think i am correct in saying this. have a go at this thats why we got our new mobile optimised time sheet which takes over the job of time sheet entry for hosted and desktop.
Fellow Reckon enthusiasts...  it would be handy to link this discussion to the one that Greg and Gary (myself) had at this post:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/can-anyone-tell-me-how-to-run-accounts-hosted-on-my-mobil...

It would appear that there are some people finding some differences with:
- ANdroid v4.x.x.
- Android v5.x.x
- itPhone 5
- iPhone 6
and the Reckon Hosted 2014    versus
Reckon Hosted 2015R1

So,  perhaps the issue is not so much the operating system on these two brands of phone/proprietary Operating System  NOR  the sub-versions of each....  Let's start to tabulate the other aspects that are in the mix here:
a)  The browser interface in operation at the 2014 end  versus the 2015R1 end
b)  the version of the Browsers sitting inside these small phones and what has changed between each of THEIR respective operating system updates over time.

Like all things in computers,  when two unrelated technologies change,  sometimes it is not that one of those ends is filing,  but that suddenly they don't integrate because of something not yet determined..... That's where we come in,  to identify the common issue in the middle.

So, may I suggest, we get really specific about which versions of phone OPERATING SYSTEM (vers),  BROWSER (vers) and target application program (ie: Reckon 2014 or 2015 etc)  is the combination that  is or used to work, versus what is not.

From the article I've linked,  my research pre May 341st,  showed that iPAD, iPHONE, HTC phone and Android Tablet at distinct versions worked with 2014  and still work with 2015.  The difference in the Android  as seen in this POST and the quoted one above,  is that I had success with reaching 2014 and 2015R1  when using Android v4.3  (HTC Desire 300 phone,  and ASUS Transformer Tablet),  and another Partner, Jakob,  had success with iPAD v6 and v8  but not v7.  AS for iPHONE, sorry, not equipped.

If anybody is interested we could setup a cross-chart to plot all this,  but I've sought a disucssion with Jason Beaven via Mirko Mandic  (to be respectful to the line of command here) to see if we can all help isolate some of the variations in all this.

Sorry to be tedious,  but the world of debugging IT code is like trying to reconcile somebody's EOY  shoebox of torn tax  dockets - pardon the painful sounding Accounting analogy! 

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)

"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"

Photo of Gail Lewis

Re all of above - As it used to work on mobile phones (my Iphone5 anyways) I agree Gary it will be the technology of either the phones or hosted  - here's hoping at some stage it does not start affecting laptops as technology moves so fast.(sorry not as technically knowledgeable as you guys) Do you know of any mobiles hosted 2015 does work with although not so sure he will go with getting a new one as his phone is pretty new
Timesheet App is all good but my client wants to raise an invoice while at a customer site so went for a samsung large mobile he uses for other software programs he needs to use on site, am thinking may convert him to Reckon One but he talking about the competition so is a shame something that was mobile compatible is now no longer at the moment.
Yay love how technology moves so fast - causes lots of people stress but others pleasure
Hi Gail, yes, Hosted is not working on my phone, for what ever reasons, i am going to discuss with Simon of Reckon, this has been bothering me, for some time , the inability to invoice on the run, that is invoicing on any mobile device. As i have been pondering with my team , what sort of cost it will take me to create an invoice app of Reckon hosted or desktop.
We have done and still improving now on mobile time sheet which works for desktop . Soon will do for hosted and even RA1. Our  Mobile Time sheet now caters for multiple jobs being able to enter for one day and also ability to enter more than 120 employees hours in one logins by the supervisor from the work site.
Gail. 

I have a 6 month old HTC Desire  4" simple phone here,  running Android v4.4.3   with HTC Sense v 6.0   and Software number:  1.08.841.2  with  HTC SDK API level  6.25.  
It has a BROWSER  application v:  7.1.2515232157  (Browser --> Settings -> About HTC Browser)

So what can it run?
-  Reckon APP (the invoicing APP that is linked online to 
   Reckon ONE (EVO version released 31/5/2015)                         **OKAY**

- Reckon HOSTED 2015R1   OKAY*   (but see how we did it, in the **notes** below)
  Got through to the demo company: Precision Doors & Windows.

** Opinion: **
But frankly:  Would I run Enterprise HOSTED on a 4" ?  For me, Not really.  Too small to be effective.  But when the HOSTED version of the API is released,  and an APP for Reckon HOSTED that is just for INVOICES and customer receipting is availabel - then iI feel it would be effective.   There are moves afoot with this sort of thing by other Partners too, with timesheets (by Cosmic Accounting SOlutions with Chandra Wasan, a regular contributor to this forum).   The point to realise,  is that the 25 year+ rich features of Reckon Accounts has an underlying structure that is ideal for a bigger screen.  For small (be it 4" 5" or the trend to even bigger phones) you are still faced with limited real estate on the screen.  But more importantly,  the technology (software) needs to be built around a responsive theme type structure that presents the vital fields to the user on the limited size screen.  This is really 1990's POS design all over again,  but today, we call it an APP!   Sorry,  been in the computer industry for 40 years developiong software, and this is all deja vu!).   

So back to helping sort all this out.  Here's the good oil:

**IMPORTANT NOTES**.  
Here' s a possible area of confusion in addition to the question of Android versions.....

As an Accredited Partner,  I've been testing both Reckon ONE and Reckon HOSTED to get to the bottom of the al lot of questions posed on this forum of late.  The migration of 2014R4 to 2015R1 HOSTED  amidst the upgrade from Reckon ONE (Silverlight) to the new HTML5 based "EVO" edition of Reckon ONE  all within the last couple of weeks.   

1.   My  Professional Partner ID was used as the basis of setting up ALL the above.
Of course Reckon ONE is endless users for a single BOOK, whereas HOSTED is a per user scenario.   A couple of things happened.  In HOSTED Control Panel (appears under the 2015R1 green start button) and then to Manage Users...   There was a "<space>" in front of the <username> : " GaryPope"   instead of "GaryPope"

2.  For the purposes of testig Reckon ONE multi-user,  I added two other staff names (PP ID xxxxxxx-2   and xxxxxxx-3).   They didn't have the offending <space>. 

3.  We then found we needed a keyboard on the PHONE that was more than the default 0-9 phone number keyboard that comes with a basic phone.   The KEYBOARD required,  is not a Reckon product module, it is a feature needed on the basic phone.  SO we added a keyboard APP called:  "SwiftKey" (others available too) to the HTC Android phone,  which had a-z and A-Z and some special characters.  But we found that the special characters prevented us from going beyond the 2015R1 button (just going to the black screen with the red dots dots dots loading Reckon Hosted,)  but reverting back to the green 2015R1 button.

4.  I'll admit at one stage I mistakenly tried logging into the HOSTED with one of the additional Reckon ONE usernames and that was wrong, because we did not have a USER licence subscription for those additional users as  far as HOSTED was concerned.  The point I make here, is that such an attempt,  presents the same behaviour:  2015R1 green button,  to the red dots/black screen, and bounce back to the 2015R1 green button again.   But that is becuase I was using an unregistered combination of username (xxxxxxx-2)  with HOSTED where I only have one account under the user:  xxxxxxx-1    (my wrong!)

5.  BUT:  This morning, retesting all this with a clearer head for this forum article for Gail (NZ),  I  again found I initally had trouble with the valid xxxxxxx-1 account which due to other recent tests had special-characters in the password because a Password RESET gives you these more secure jumbled passwords.   So the phone went 2015r1,  to red dots/black screen and bounced back to 2015R1 green button.

So I jumped onto a desktop (Linux: Debian with Firefox v35.0,  my preferred desktop), and successfully logged in all the way to HOSTED 2015R1 and into the demo company of Reckon Partners;  "Precision Doors & Windows P/L), proving that xxxxxxx-1  is OK.  Then exited to the HOSTED control panel button (beneath the 2015R1 green start button, and changed the password for xxxxxxx-1  to a temporary password:   "Gp0408994799"   one upper, one lower, rest numbers, satisfying 3 or f the 4 criteria..

Then back to the HTC phone again,  and all is OK.  The HTC v4.4.3 phone was able to run the HTC Browser to Reckon HOSTED,  into 2015R1 button to the full Reckon Hosted LOGGING for Precision Doors & Windows P/L.

**CONCLUSION**
a)  Be careful if testing both Reckon ONE and HOSTED with the same PP  ID  (xxxxxxx-1))

b)  I need to get back to PSG support again and share all this,  because we had some reservations about how the leading <space> got in front of the <username>,  but besides that,  we were effectively circumnavigating that by using xxxxxxx-1  instead.  But it still worries me there is a database/password issue lurking in the background there

c)  I'm intrigued that there seems to be a difference with the usage of special characters (or not),  but in light of this forum article comparing different versions of Android (and indeed Apple iPhones, yet to discuss),  it is worth including this approach too, as it does in fact yield a positive outcome on v4.4.3 Android.

d) There may be something related to the HTC BROWSER specifically in play here.

So - hopefully we can all re-test and share some input on what others experience.

Gary Pope

-
Photo of Greg Geltch

Greg Geltch

Just logged in using Android 4.12 Jelly Bean on an older Android phone. I'm sure I remember when Reckon did away with Citrix, they spouted Accounts Hosted as mobile phone friendly. Maybe it was then, wouldn't be the only thing broken with newer Android versions.
Photo of Kevin Russell

• 50,742 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Why aren't you on lollipop?
Sometimes people are running other applications (IE: Java dependent APPS that aren't ready for the "lollipop: Android v5.0) or say  v5.1    64-bit deployment of JAVA  for instance.  Been some mischief in that technical department.  So it depends on whether a client is only using the phone for  a dedicated application - we cant assume that Reckon Hosted is the only reason for people to be using APPS....  this is the issue confronting mobile devices, as it has been with desktop PC compatibility prerequisite issues for years.     I've seen this with Java dependent CRM packages for instance, as they deploy to mobile technologies...  it's fun (not), but sometime frustrating, admittedly.    But there are always workarounds,  like putting Firefox onto iPADS for instance to overcome lack of Java in Safari - that sort of thing.    problem fixed!    That's what we're seeking here,  to find the missing link.

But back to the specific point of this forum article,.  there are no doubt, any number of users out there with all manner of personal preferences for the tablet or phone they happen to be using.  Sometimes it is convenience, cost, comfort, contractual tie-up, preference of User Experience (I hate two letter UX names!)... the list can be long.  Sometimes, people just don't want to change if they don't have to.  Their contacts, and way of doing business and communications may be just fine.

So, in here,  we're looking at a classic example of where the older technology in fact works real well with the latest Reckon Hosted 2015R1  or Reckon ONE,  but the odd one out, is the newer browser or Android versions (or something we're yet to put our finger on).  So let's be open minded to what the CAUSE of all this is,  rather than trying to just deal with the effect.  The latter approach might be a pragmatic solution to get through a busy week,  but the underlying issue still needs definition and resolution - or at least a statement of compliance (or not).

Let's collectively own this problem and get to the bottom of it.

Gary

Gary Pope

(Edited)
Photo of Greg Geltch

Greg Geltch

Forgot to mention, using Chrome.
Greg/Gail/Others who I hope will feedback....

I've had a terrific chat with Dean Bajevic at PSG (Reckon Support) to get some focus on the combinations of versions at play here, and to draw attention to this forum article to get some technical comparisons into play.....

Thanks, Greg, for getting involved with this on another pursuit with Gail.   So the v4.x.x  versus  v5.x.x  is starting to throw a little more clarity on the situation in Android land,  and in Greg's case,  with CHROME

1.   So,  Ive done some testing on CHROME too as follows:  (Settings -->  About Chrome)

HTC Android phone model:  HTC mdeol 510 (10/11/2014 age)
Android  v4.4.3  HTC_OPCV2 Build/KTU84L
Chrome Application version  43.0.2357.78
Java Script version  8.4.3.61

RESULTS:    (using registered username ID: xxxxxxx-1 0-9  a-z  A-Z  password)

Reckon ONE "EVO html5" version  **OKAY**
Reckon Accounts HOSTED  2015R1      **OKAY**

2.   Meantime,  I'll try FIREFOX APP (34MB) on the HTC Android phone.

HTC Android phone model:  HTC model 510 (10/11/2014 age)
Android  v4.4.3  HTC_OPCV2 Build/KTU84L
FIREFOX Application version  38.0.5  (2/Jun/2015)        

RESULTS:    (using registered username ID: xxxxxxx-1 0-9  a-z  A-Z  password)
Reckon ONE "EVO html5" version  **OKAY**
Reckon Accounts HOSTED  2015R1      **OKAY**

3.   Also:  The Reckon APP  (not the Reckon Free Invoices APP)
is able to run on an ANDROID phone (HTC 510)  linked to Reckon ONE
Android  v4.4.3  HTC_OPCV2 Build/KTU84
RESULTS
But:   we did seem to have greater success if the
         PASSWORD only contained 0-9  a-z A-Z               **OKAY**

(off topic to HOSTED, but to be complete on wthe whole MOBILE access matter)
Ascertaining eligibility to run the Reckon ONE APP linked to Reckon ONE
Prerequisites,  subject to confirmation from PSG under job:  4611920.

see similar issues (in opposite way)  on article:
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-app-log-in-issue

There appears to be combinations that can lead to "access" issues.

a)  A user-id  (or its related <username>) which can be used interchangeably,  
     can be deemed to be a HOSTED user,  or ONE user or a user of BOTH
     - ie:  three combinations.

b)   To ascertain the type of user,

-   you can attempt to login in as that user to HOSTED in a Browser (on a PC), 
          and if you end up at the CONTROL PANEL screen only, 
          then that user is NOT a 'HOSTED" user.

-   you can attempt to login as a Reckon ONE user,
           and if you see NO  BOOKS appear at all,
           then that user is NOT a Reckon ONE user.

c)  Trying to use the RECKON ONE APP (linked to Reckon ONE),

-  If the user-id or <username> is wrong or password is wrong:
        "unable to authenticate user......"     error

SOLUTION: 
        Double check that you have right user-ID or username and right password.
        Note:  Some mobile phones prefer a password without special chartacters.

- if the user-id or <username>  is NOT a Reckon ONE user (per the test in (b)
       then even with the right password combination,  you will get a "ACCESS DENIED"

SOLUTION:   Ensure the user-id is set to be a Reckon ONE user
                                and not just a HOSTED user.

Creating USERS that will be capable of using the Reckon ONE APP
From a RECKON ONE point of view,  we logged in as a valid Reckon ONE user through a browser on  a PC, and opened a BOOK (in latest HTML5/EVO mode) that we wanted to share to a new user.  Within the Reckon ONE "BOOK"  we went to:
-->   Administration menu -->  Users and Roles 
and selected ADD:  to add a USER to the book.
**NOTE:  If you create a NEW USER at this point,  you will be causing the activation of a new USER from a billing point of view.)

Having a user-id added in this way, makes that user a Reckon ONE user,  and such a user-id can be used to enjoy the Reckon ONE APP on a mobile phone.

Switching Reckon ONE USERS to be HOSTED users and vice versa.    - T.B.A.

Gary

(Edited)
16th June: status:  ACCESS DENIED issue on Reckon ONE APP now remedied.   The issue relating to Access Denied was due to Cashbook to Reckon One Migration.

I have been advised by PSG that this has been resolved.   I've tested a session that was getting this message, and all is well today, on a HTC Android v4.4.3.

Gary
Photo of Gail Lewis

Wow Gary, I seemed to have opened up a can of worms on this one.
The client that had the issue with is going to go with Reckon One

I just tried however to log into my Hosted online account on my Iphone 6 and forgot I was logged on my laptop and Reckon opened up straight away into the current file I had open ion my laptop in the middle of the transaction I was in - which is what Reckon Online support said might work.
This is not a great fix for people on the run as if did open on their desktop before they left the office when did log on to use on their mobile this may be a few hours later and they would more than likely have been logged off by the time they needed to use their mobile.

I logged off on my phone and my laptop and tried again to log in on my phone and have the same issue, bounces back to the log on screen so tested again being logged on on my laptop and again get into my file okay on my mobile which logged off my session on my laptop saying session was replaced which is as we know does happen if a 2nd user logs in with the same log on credentials, (a feature I believe should not be able to happen it should say a user is already logged on like when try to log into a company file)
As we all know some clients do share log ons and don't always check there shared user is using the system - This is particularly bad when each of the users have different company file log ons with different security levels as one of my clients had and the 2nd user who logged in taking over the first users session (the administrator) found info they were not privy to under there  own log in. So guess this could be another can of worms I should open to fix

I have logged in with the orginal user id xxxxxx-1 and with my alphanumeric user id and my password is a mix of capital letters, lower case and 2 numbers
Gail:

On the Reckon HOSTED situation, where yo are on the road, and forgot to logg of the main PC at the office,.  use your PHONE browser to reach the CONTROL panel to remotely log off the other session, per this article: 
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/how-to-remote-disconnect-logoff-user-hosted

This assume you are having success getting to log into thru your mobile phone of course,  which may be the chicken/egg issue here still.

Added to JOB raised on all this.

Gary
Photo of Gail Lewis

Should of mentioned yes you can go to the log off section as do have full access on the iphone 6 just have to move the window around to get to the options as is a small screen
Gail

Acknowledged.  I'm adding your points to the position at:
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-app-log-in-issue

That is an interesting observation which I'll tag to the OPEN, escalated job for all this.

Meantime, you other points.....

The old "two in one" trick.

Here's my immediate reaction/suggestion.....  I'm tending to think:

(note:  my 1st and 2nd login spec here is that TWO different ID's are in play)
a)  A second log from another device should force the close down of the first.
b)  Two people should n't have the same login, strictly speaking.
c)  The 2nd login would then allow an actual login,  with the 2mnd login credentials, without need to drive back to where the 1st login was - ie:  better to kill it off (if the same login!!!).  But otherwise it should bee a different user,  and should be able to co-exist.

That would sort out privilege, 'two-at-once' and ability to 'get in' when miles from the office, alone.

Gary Pope

(Edited)
Photo of Gail Lewis

Does this two in one log also happen on reckon one as not got any clients on that yet as am only talking about reckon hosted

And yes the log in on phone would work to log off but problem is usually one does not always remember have not logged off hence the case of my client working on the other users log in and although yes did have different customisations on the tool bar was not switched on enough to realize what had happened until boss found out had got access to other staffs wages. Told them solution is buy another licence but they have not as wont pay the extra $450
Status:  This issue seems to only relate to v7 iOS,  and the matter has been raised in Support Note:  4627800  for technical review/address.

Gary Pope
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
HI any one concern, Cosmic has got already mobile optimised timesheet which integrates to RA desktop version on realtime. You are able to enter on your mobile device by multiple jobs, and multiple employees, ability to copy timesheet for same job and and any number of employees.
and ability to enter notes, save and recall any notes saved.
on the pipeline for INVOICE APP ,that will directly connect to RA, and able to send invoice by mobile device and receive payments. Further confirmation in  2 week time on this invoice app .
(Edited)