Hour Glass

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
This is a bit tricky to explain but I am noticing of late my hour glass appearing more than usual and longer than usual.  I can still click on things within the application when the hour glass is showing but why is it showing up more than usual??  I would prefer my pointer as it seems like Reckon is doing something in the background if you get my drift ??
Photo of Tracey Little

Tracey Little

• 1,286 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ifti

Ifti, Product Owner

• 6,616 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
HI Tracey,

Thank you for your post.

We've seen this too and only happens with the latest Chrome but not on other browsers.

As you said, everything works within the program but the cursor gives you the impression that you have to wait.

Please try to re-login, delete cache and History (click here for instructions) or try with other browsers for the normal cursor to appear.

Thanks

Ifti
Photo of Tracey Little

Tracey Little

Thank you Ifti.  I tried this and the hour glass is still showing up...I may have to use another browser.. It's just weird why this has started to happen all of a sudden? 
Photo of Tracey Little

Tracey Little

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and it's still happening.
Firefox graphics are not very good so I don't want to change to that. 
Photo of Ifti

Ifti, Product Owner

Hi Tracey,

Can you please try with Internet Explorer to see how that works? 

This happens only with the latest Chrome and very few people experience it.

Thanks

Ifti
Photo of frank

frank

• 684 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
i'm tipping more than just very few people experience it?
Photo of Tracey Little

Tracey Little

Now it's showing a horizontal arrow shape 
Photo of Tracey Little

Tracey Little

Ifti, I have done as you have suggested and now my mouse is staggering and jolts around the place.. This is also happening to another one of our employees using Internet Explorer.
(Edited)
Photo of Ifti

Ifti, Product Owner

Hi Tracey,

I'd request you to call the Support team on 1300 799 150 and have a technician look into this for you.

Thanks

Ifti
Photo of Matt Chapman

Matt Chapman

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi all, this has been happening on our environment as well on Chrome on multiple users.
Photo of Barbara.Karl

Barbara.Karl

• 528 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Happening for me too-- along with disconnecting all the time.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

• 25,066 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I was about the report this in a new post and then found this trail of conversations.  This has been happening to me for something like 3 - 4 weeks.  It is noticeable that if I move the cursor outside of the Hosted page, the cursor behaves as normal, so the problem only appears to be with Hosted.  Having now seen that Reckon is promoting Explorer and Firefox as alternatives, I decided to have a go using Explorer.  Unfortunately I found the mouse to be so erratic in its movements, that I gave it away as a bad joke after a couple of minutes and instead will go back to Chrome and put up with the annoying hourglass.  John L G
Photo of Mick Palmer

Mick Palmer

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Same issue here. 2 weeks+
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,530 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Everyone,

A brief summary on browsers for Hosted.

We strive to make Hosted accessible by all browsers and our preference is with Microsoft products, and so Internet Explorer.

Some time ago Internet Explorer users reported various issues that were not present on other browsers, so for a time other browsers were preferred, particularly Chrome.

With the continual improvements to the Hosted environment those IE issues disappeared so once again IE is equal to other browsers.

Recently Chrome (v42+) stopped supporting Flash Player in its browser, a service that Reckon Accounts sometimes utilizes, so Chrome has slipped in the preferred stakes for Hosted.  The browser Opera uses the same engine as Chrome and is in the same category.

see Chrome announcement:  
NPAPI plugins don't work on Chrome version 42 and higher

Firefox has remained a reliable alternative to IE and Safari on MAC is OK.

The Hour Glass issue is related to the chrome's reduced support for Flash Player. 

Hope this clarifies the situation with browsers.

regards,
John.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
John, did you READ the NPAPI link you posted? It clearly says that FLASH is STILL SUPPORTED on Chrome in V42+

You can verify that flash is working by going here

https://www.adobe.com/au/software/fla...

I'm on V44 64bit and flash is working fine. So want to rethink that answer? As this statement is a incorrect

"Recently Chrome (v42+) stopped supporting Flash Player in its browser"

Also reading this thread the hour glass issue appears on Chrome/IE/Firefox, so looks to be a infra issue.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

• 24,798 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
IHi Andrew.  As per my post, I can confirm that the hourglass issue also affects Opera - it comes and goes.  John L G
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

So thats now Chrome/IE/Firefox/Opera.... Hmmmm
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

Sound like we might have to jump ship and start using a Mac.   Oh no, don't tell me.........  John L G
Photo of Tracey Little

Tracey Little

So won't bother trying Opera then :-(
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

Hi Tracey.  Apart from the on and off problem with the hour-glass, Opera is working find in every other respect for me.  My main problem with Chrome was that effectively I was no longer able to print anything.  However, using Opera, everything works just fine.  If you are having any other problems using Chrome, apart from the hour-glass, I would highly recommend that you try Opera.  You might be very surprised with the result, just as I was.  John L G
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

John - Can you print at all from any webpage within Chrome? If not, then it could be a profile issue. You can test this by opening a incognito tab and trying to print from the incognito tab. If this works, recreate your profile.

I've seen a bad profile, causing all chrome print jobs to print blank pages :( Easy fix, new profile and away everything went again.
Photo of John Graetz

John Graetz

• 25,066 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi John.  Thanks for the update on browsers.  As i reported last week and also on Sunday, Microsoft Edge (the replacement in Windows 10 for I.E. - which you didn't mention) did not provide a satisfactory result with the mouse - very erratic and not a smooth mover like others, making it very difficult to place correctly. I gave it away after a few minutes.  Perhaps there are still issues to be sorted out in the Windows 10 environment.

With Chrome, various users, including me, have experienced some extreme problems in the past two to three months, in trying to print - the printer preview window sometimes works well, and then shortly after, it can take minutes for it to show up.  This problem was not limited to Hosted  Over the weekend, the Reckon preview totally failed (it would show briefly for a split second only).  Now I recognise that this is not necessarily a Reckon issue because it is a similar problem for many users around the world.  But, if I want to use Chrome, I now have a program which is useless when it comes to printing.  Because of these problems (involving other programs as well) I have now uninstalled Chrome completely.  The ultimate aim was to reinstall.  Instead I decided to try Opera.  I still had occasional instances where the hourglass appeared for periods of time and then went away.  But, the rest of my time using Hosted was flawless.  Today I processed Payroll and Payroll Liabilities without the slightest hint of a problem.  Printing worked perfectly every time..

So far I haven't gone back to Firefox to see how it performs these days, but whilst I am now having a pretty perfect time with Opera, I will stick with it.  

John L G
Photo of frank

frank

john, i too am using chrome as a platform.  Interesting to note that chrome usage across the whole planet is over 25%, so no one can say its a niche browser or something weird that only geeks use.

i thought the whole reason for moving to HTML5 was to get away from silverlight, a microsoft product that dictated browser brand.  Hell, i can't even get ie for my operating system.
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update John. Frank and Andrew

My apologies for the incorrect reference to Flash in my earlier post.  A change in Chrome earlier did impact on Silverlight for Reckon One, but that is now bypased with the switch to the current HTML5.  The hour glass appearing longer than usual in Hosted is a symptom of a development in the current version of Chrome that results in some sites failing to render properly, a problem we hear Google is working to resolve.  If and how this issue shows itself will depend on a lot of local factors.  I am still happily using Chrome for my Hosted access.

regards,
John.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Are we reading the same thread John? Its not JUST Chrome with the issue..... :/
Photo of frank

frank

i think it is great that our friends at Google are working to fix the problems that cause reckon hosted to play up in Chrome/IE/Firefox/Opera...
Forum members.....

The saga of browsers over the ages.....  Interesting observation from my end,  although I am not running Windows or Mac.  I'm running Linux with Browser:  Google Chrome v42 still (yes)....  and no sign of an hourglass.

Why I share this,  is because of a couple of aspects of this thread that might be better clarified if each example were to outline:

a) the operating system,  version and type.  IE:  is it 32-bit or 64-bit for a start
    IE:  I'm on debian Jessie 64-bit
b) and the version of the browser, and whether the hour-glass issue persists.
    ie:  I'm on the version in the screen shot below....
          Chrome v42.0.2311.135  64bit version.

Forum members are unlikely to have anything like my setup,  but as an additional test,  I then ran Chrome v45.0.2454.85m  on Windows 7 64-bit running as a virtual machine inside of the above Debian Host.
This allows for an interesting observation of how the mouse protocol/drivers are running in an encapsulated VM (virtual Machine) environment,   not a lot dissimilar to the HOSTED RECKON site running in its VPS (of Windows Server) inside of Amazon's Data Centre's HOST operating system.

in this scenario,  I have a very white (not outlined) mouse pointer that runs perfectly, during window opening, screen movement and printing selection to PDF's and ultimate printing.  No worries.

Observations
------------------

I'm curious whether the relationship of the client PC's baseline operating system and its local relationship to the browser, has any bearing.

Having said that,  I'm intrigued by the terrific observation of John Graetz where he mentions that the mouse pointer behaviour varies when inside of the window that is viewing HOSTED, as opposed to other windows (or perhaps desktop) of other activities on the local machine.

The number of articles on the web that talk about this problem, is extensive.
-->   Try a search for:  "chrome mouse pointer hourglass"   from:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=chrome+mouse+pointer+hour+glass&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws...

Lots of suggestions and a variety of one-off solutions.....   

Cheers and more food for thought in Devt town....

Gary Pope
m: 0408994799 (Vic, Aust)
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
 and retired FCPA Accountant"
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.