How can 2 users use the same file at the same time while using Hosted Version???

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
How can 2 users use the same file at the same time while using Hosted Version???
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

• 1,428 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Kay Laws Accredited

Kay Laws Accredited, Accredited Partner

• 3,454 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sue,

Do you have multiple hosted licences?
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

Yes 2. 1 is located in Sydney & I am Currently in WA

so,  first,  ensure that the main user/owner has SHARED the company file, and to which other user  (ie:  the other person's 7 digit user code  like:  1234567-2)

This will relocate the main QBW  file into a shared folder seen through a shortcut link.

Then the OTHER person can log in with THEIR 2nd ID at the same time as the primary user

Gaz

Gary Pope

m: 0408994799
e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
“Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
     independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant”
(Edited)
Photo of Kay Laws Accredited

Kay Laws Accredited, Accredited Partner

• 3,454 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Also need to insure that the file is in multi user mode
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

I have paid for a Training Guide for Hosted 5 Weeks ago & still waiting for it, so I have no instructions on how to do anything.

Photo of Fizzer

Fizzer

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Once logged into the control panel, there are some really good (short videos) for how to do many tasks. They are on links to the right. Try there first.
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

So what do i do 1st. Share the File or Change to multi user mode?
Share the file,  and identify the ID of the 2nd person you want to share it with.

Gary
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

Thanks Gary I'll give it a try
(Edited)
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

Hi Gary I have Shared the File now trying to set up as Multi-User, What do I do now???

In the hosted login page on control panel, add the ID of the other party who you are allowing to also use the file. Then they too can independently enter data into the company records
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

I've done that. Then i chnged to Multi user under my login. I then logged into the 2nd user but the files isn't showing what i have entered under my log in
If you've shared the file properly,  the QBW file will shift from being out in the open, in Q: drive,  to be inside a shortcut pointing to a newly shared folder location.    Be sure THAT is happening,  and make sure that when you run HOSTED and "OPEN a company file'  that you are opening the QBW file this is, in fact, INSIDE that shortcut-pointed shared folder.  (and not some other copy of the company file).   I fear you may have too many copies of the actual COMPANY file and are perhaps opening some spare copy you uploaded or placed with a slightly different name somewhere.

When in doubt,  create a really special named file that is obviously different to the lot,  share it,  allow the 2nd user to use it,  and then be sure that BOTH users are seeking access to it via the newly positioned shortcut folder location.

Gary
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

Thanks for your help Gary. On the 2nd user do i also have to change to multi user like i do with my user? Sorry to keep asking for help i know you are a busy person. I had ordered & paid for the Training Guide over a month ago & still waiting for it to arrive. The other issue is I am currently in Perth & my Office is in Sydney.
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

Hi Gary Sorry to bother you again. Im still trying so sort all this mess out with Hosted.

Is there a way that I Can Delete Everything in the "Q" File so I can start afresh?
A question like that requires consideration. You can always create a new company file. Rather than clean out an old one. Just create and share a new qbw file. But this is poor advise when unaware of why you ask the question.
Photo of Sue Jones

Sue Jones

The main Company File sits on a Desktop computer in Sydney so when i do a Back up I then restore into the Hosted Version but for some reason it doesn't always allow my to Overide the file. So I then hve to create a new file name to restore hence i hve like 6 different copies of the same Company File with different file names. Just want to clean it all up so I only have the Correct Current file in the Q folder
Call me on 0408984799
Photo of Lesley Xerri Accredited Consultant

Lesley Xerri Accredited Consultant, Accredited Partner

• 1,082 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sue,
Not sure if you've sorted this problem yet, but an easy thing to overlook is that, not only do you have to have 2 licences and logins and multiuser mode - you need to have 2 users created in the data file.  Sorry in advance if you've already done this - but it's the only thing I can't see mentioned in this thread and the only thing I can come up with which may be of use.
Good luck, Lesley