how do a create a report on chart of account codes

Options
Chris_7677427
Chris_7677427 Member Posts: 16
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Using Reckon Hosted, cant get a report on expenses (chart of account codes), e.g., subscriptions

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Chris.  The usual way is to go to the chart of accounts, single click on the account e.g. subscriptions, to highlight it, go down to the area below the chart of account info and click on "reports" and then click on "fast report".  This will then provide you with a listing of all transactions within YOUR current FINANCIAL year period e.g. 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016..  This report only provides details on a full financial year.  If you want to go back to a previous financial year, you need to change the dates in the drop down box at the top of report (left hand side).

If you want to see a report with a far greater date range, there is another way to do this:
    1.  Run a report "Reports/Company & Financial/Profit & Loss Standard" and then change the date range to say something like 1/7/2010 to 30/6/2015.  This will then produce a Profit and Loss report for this whole period.
    2.  On this report, find your "subscriptions" account and double click on the amount.  This will then open a report which provides a listing of every transaction within this whole period of time.

John G
  • Chris_7677427
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That's fantastic, thanks for your  help.
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Excellent Chris - glad that this helped you.  John G
  • Chris_7677427
    edited March 2016
    Options

John, would you also know if it normal when a transaction in entered in through "Cheques" for it to be showing as "split" even though it is a one line entry?  It does not show the account coded to when looking at the bank a/c register.

• John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Chris.  You may not have your viewing options set up correctly.  On the bottom left hand side of the Register page there is a box called "1-Line".  If you have a tick in this box you cannot generally get the detail.  If you do have it ticked, try unticking this box and see what happens. Personally, I do not have this box ticked, but probably plenty of others do - just my personal preference. John G
  • Chris_7677427
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi, I just tried that but it doesn't change the detail. It still says "split" rather than say, printing. All cheques I have entered show up as "split" instead of account coded to.
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Chris.  I cannot say that I have noticed this before, but you are correct. The only transactions which appear show in the register with details are ones which involve balance sheet items.  Why are you wanting to see this information?  Are you aware that by highlighting the entry in the register and pressing Ctrl and E you will immediately open up the transaction so that you can see the splits?

I am interested in knowing why you want to see this, in case there is another option that might be available to you to fill your need.  John G
  • Chris_7677427
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I believe a "split" transaction was if there were 2 or more lines. On the bank register there were transactions coded to e.g., interest and it showed this (when this had been done with a consultant here). Later when I entered a transaction through "cheque" it came up "split" and I was trying to work out what I had done differently. Cant remember how we entered them or if I downloaded those transactions...
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Chris.  I was rather intrigued by all of this and decided to do a bit of digging, including going back into a desktop version 12 months ago,  I could see that sometimes the line details showed, whilst at others it came up as "split".  I believe, after doing some playing around, that I now know the answer to the mystery.  It seems that when the transaction involves using a GST code, the transaction becomes a split, including when using FRE or NCF.  However, if no code is shown at all, and the transaction involves a single line, the account code will show up. 

I did mention earlier about balance sheet items being able to be seen, but again, this was only because there was no GST code involved.  As soon as a GST code is used for a balance sheet account, the same thing will happen, in that the transaction then becomes "split".

From this you can see that you weren't doing anything wrong, rather this is one of the idiosyncrasies with the program and how it treats certain transactions.   The effects of this can be seen in another way.  If you go to edit one of your previously entered cheques which has GST in it, with a single line transaction, then click on "Journal" on the top line of the "Write Cheques" screen, you will see that the transaction has another line in it now for the GST component, hence why it is now regarded as a split.  If you do the same thing with a cheque with an item without any GST code, that extra line will not appear, hence the reason why it is not split.

I hope that this will provide some illumination for you.  John G
  • Chris_7677427
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi John, I didn't expect to put you to so much trouble but that is great and has answered my question.  Like you say, I found it odd that the gst should interpret the transaction as a split, but that's how it is.  Thanks again.