How do I add unrealised gain to super account

Options
Mark_B
Mark_B Member Posts: 21
How can I capture a unrealised gain on super account, so I reflect the true value of the account with my fund.

Comments

• John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mark,

For super funds that quote a change in value only, I have set up a virtual unit price system in Excel. I did this for my industry fund that quotes a % change in value each day. I have converted this to a unit price change that reflects the % change in value over time. I have virtual units where I convert $ payments into purchase of units at that day's price. Since 1995, this system has worked very well. The only change is that I need to adjust the price for 15% tax and fees to agree at the end of each year, as I don't know the date when these occurred. It is all done in a spread sheet and produces sensible price results for the4se corrected transactions.

It can be difficult to compare super accounts performance, as there is a constant change in the capital base, with contributions and fees. The virtual price fixes all this.

The most interesting thing from these prices is that the industry account has out performed the retail account by about 2% per annum, which is about the difference in fees charged on the two accounts. The retail funds claim we should have choice of super account, but don't tell you it will cost you 2% in returns.

John 

• Mark_B
    Mark_B Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used the wizard to add the fund, so I'm not tracking a particular unit with an stock code I'm tracking contribution as deposits. Previous I've used the "action" deposit and selected the category as "_Unrealised_Gain" to reconsole reckon against my super statement. Maybe using the wizard isn't the right way to go...

..Always nice to meet another Diver
  • st_6872571
    st_6872571 Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2018
    Options
    For what it's worth, in relation to my super accounts (defined benefit) I've treated them as normal bank accounts but under the Property & Debt - Asset class.  Scheduled deposits go in every two weeks and upon receiving my yearly statement I make the necessary adjustments, fees and gain components.