How do I change a reconciled transaction in Reckon Personal Plus, then correct the starting balance?

peter.lang
peter.lang Member Posts: 87
I am using Personal Plus 2017 on Windows 10. I want to split a reconciled Paycheque transaction into two separate transactions on different dates with different amounts. When I tried to do this, the reconciliation start balance changed and I don't know how to fix it. The Paycheque was entered for $1044 deposited on 11/01/2017. I had reconciled up to 31/01/2017. However, I need to split it into two pay cheques for 4/01/2017 and 11/01/2017. I tried to copy the 11/01/2017 Paycheque entry and edit the original and the new. Once edited the totals were the same. I first tried to re-reconcile using the Reconcile tool. That didn't work. Then I tried to reconcile the new transaction. That didn't work either. I've now Restored from backup and the account is reconciled, but with the one transaction on 11/01/2017 instead of the two I need. How should I proceed to split the transaction into two transactions and reconcile the account at 31/01/2017 after making the changes?

Comments

• Michael Holmes
    Michael Holmes Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I would try deleting the reconciled transaction then add the two separate transactions.
  • peter.lang
    edited February 2017
    Hi Dave. Thank you. I tried that first, but it didn't work. If you have a procedure to follow to change one transaction to two that total the same as the one to be replaced, could you please spell it out in steps for me.
  • peter.lang
    edited February 2017
    Michael, Thank you for your comment. However, I'like to know that you have experience and know what you are suggesting works for sure.
  • peter.lang
    edited February 2017
    They were two transactions and I may need to refer back to them in the distant future. the pay came i two weeks, not one. Anyway, that part is my problem. I do need to make them agree with the transactions in the bank statement and the two tax amounts agree with what was sent to the ATO. I tried to amend the initial transaction. It doesn't work. The original reconciliation is kept in a register somewhere. The Help file explains the issue and what causes it but doesn't say how to fix it it. I am seeking help to explain how to fix my issue.
  • peter.lang
    edited February 2017
    Reckon PP Help includes a section that explains how to cause the problem but not how to fix it (great Help!): "What if my account doesn't reconcile? (I reconciled last month) When you began the reconciliation process, did the opening balance in Reckon Accounts's Reconcile Bank Statement window match your bank statement? Yes, my opening balance is correct. See Correcting differences during reconciliation. No, my opening balance is wrong In this case, a register entry related to a reconciled transaction has changed. You may have: Inadvertently changed or deleted a previously reconciled transaction. Once a transaction is reconciled, its reconciled status should not be changed. Entered a new transaction in the register and marked it reconciled in the Clr column without going through the reconciliation process. Marked an existing transaction as reconciled in the Clr column without going through the reconciliation process. Your reconciliation's opening balance is not the same as the opening balance entry in your register. Your reconciliation's opening balance is the sum of all reconciled transactions in the register. Any change to the reconciled status of any transaction in your register changes your reconciliation's opening balance. "
  • peter.lang
    edited February 2017
    This issue remains unresolved. I am seeking a process to correct it - i.e. clear, succinct steps to implement to fix the issue, please.