How do I merge 2 accounts and remove duplicate transactions in the merged account?

Hinson Chan
Hinson Chan Member Posts: 8
I'm using Reckon Accounts Australia Home & Business 2019.
I'm trying to merge 2 accounts into a single account. There will be duplicate entries in the merged account. I'm having problems working out how to easily remove duplicates based on certain criteria, e.g. date, payee, amount; without doing it manually.
thanks

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    In the first instance, I am not sure by what you mean by "two accounts" - are they two reckon files or are they two customer accounts?  Whilst not being familiar with the particular version you are using, I am of the opinion that the process should be the same as for other higher end versions, if you are dealing with customer accounts..  It should be a case of editing the customer account that you want to disappear and changing the name of the account to exactly the same as the one that you want to retain.  You should receive an warning message asking if you want to merge the two accounts, to which you would say yes.  By doing this, you  should not have any duplicated transactions.
    John L G
  • Hinson Chan
    edited July 2020
    Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have 1 x Reckon file, but 2 customer accounts (say Account1 & Account2). So I want to merge Account1 into Account2. 

I've tried to edit and renaming Account1 ==> Account2, and get the "warning to merge" message. But I get an error message, "Name already in use".

thanks
    Hinson
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have done this before on Reckon Accounts and would have got the message ?name already in use? but this was followed by a question as to whether I wanted to merge the accounts, to which I said yes.  If you cannot see this, then I can only think that your version does not allow this.  Perhaps somebody else with more experience with your version can assist.  Sorry
    John L G
  • Hinson Chan
    edited August 2019
    no worries, thanks John
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Hinson

Just check to make sure there isn't a third account with the same name you are using for the merge.
  • Hinson Chan
    edited August 2019
    thanks, I've checked and there isn't any other accounts with the same name.
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Have you checked the supplier names, you will get this message if you have a customer with the same name as a supplier.
  • Hinson Chan
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Dave, I can do that, but as Account1 and Account2, may have "identical" transactions. And I'm trying to eliminate any duplicates, this doesn't work for me. As the transfer simply moves the transaction from say, Account 1 to Account 2 and then I end up with 2 identical transactions in Account 2, as there are hundreds of transaction involved, I need to do bulk transfers.
  • Hinson Chan
    edited August 2019
    thanks, no, there are no duplicate supplier names
  • Hinson Chan
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Dave, yeah, that's what we are doing (manually). Thought of exporting as a CSV and then writing an Excel macro to eliminate duplicates, then back into Reckon; but as a once off (hopefully), we are taking the manual route for now.
  • Hinson Chan
    edited August 2019
    Each account has ~1500 transactions, and probably ~20% duplicates.
    Yeah, what we do is from CSV ==> QIF ==> Reckon