HOW DO I - PLEASE HELP

Options
Teagan
Teagan Member Posts: 6
Our company has just taken out loan to purchase 2 pieces of machinery from one of our suppliers.  We also owed this supplier a substantial amount of money.  The company borrowed enough money to cover the machinery and the money owed.  How do I set this up please?  I can put the two pieces of machinery in as asset/long term liability but what about the rest of it??    

Comments

• Margaret Sleigh
    Margaret Sleigh Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I will assume that the money you borrowed has been put into your bank account?
    If so, first record the receipt of the loan money. I would do a journal entry. Debit the Bank account and credit the Loan account with the toal amount borrowed. You will probably have to set up the loan account as a long term liability.
    Now have you paid the supplier out with one payment? If so, first record the purchase of the machinery by recording a bill owing to that supplier for the machinery. That should bring the total amount owing to the supplier to the amount you need to pay. So then you can record a "Pay Bills" to that supplier using the money in the bank. 
    Let me know if you do not understand this or if any of my assumptions are incorrect, for example if you did not put the money through your own bank account.
  • Teagan
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.  The money was paid directly to the supplier - as most loans are.  I was thinking of using clearing acct??
  • Margaret Sleigh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes loans are usually paid that way but not always and if it turns out that the amount of the loan is not exactly the amount owed then that method takes care of things. Anyway you could use the same method as I have described but use a clearing account instead of the bank account. I often use a special bank account that I have set up which I call a Transfer account. It is a clearing bank account.  I was loathe to mention using a clearing account as some accountants do not like to tell their clients about using them because the client ends up putting anything they are unsure of into the clearing account and so clearing accounts end up having more entries than any other account and being a real  mess. (Hee hee) If you know that they should always end up with a nil balance then you are fine to use them. I have been an accountant for over 50 years so I remember the days of the old hand written books when we never had to use such things. Nowadays it is only the restrictions placed on us by people who write the computer programs that mean we need to use them. I wont go into that and there are other ways you could do this but the one I have described is probably the simplest. As long as it shows the steps and you put a little note in the memo, then you do not even need to tell your accountant what happened as the entries explain it all quite clearly.  Good luck with this.
  • Teagan
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you - so let me get this straight - if I deposit loan monies to the clearing acct and then disperse them from there?
  • Margaret Sleigh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes that is the idea. The entries in the clearing account are the link to the other transactions showing what happened. You might need to have a clearing account that was created as a bank account in order to pay bills from it though. If the amount borrowed is exactly the same as the amount paid out then you could use an actual bank account because the entries would cancel each other out. When you are reconciling you just tick them off against each other. 

• Teagan
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have created a clearing account as a bank acct because some of my creditors are customers too and I offset their invoices against ours.  so this would be the best way for me I think - I appreciate your assistance - thank you
  • Margaret Sleigh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ah yes that is one of the things we would have done with a journal entry in the days of old fashioned general journals. You're welcome. Glad to be of assistance.
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi Annie

Clearing account is unneccessary - I believe you said the money was 'not' banked it went straight to the supplier, therefore you don't have any monies to deposit.

Journal entry - in one jnl you can set up all transactions - set up an Asset account for the cost of the equipment purchase, set up a liability account for the loan in full..... DR:  asset cost $xxxx  DR: accts payable - with supplier name also $(the amount owed on account) - CR: the amount of the loan to the loan liab. acct.

This puts everything where it should be, the jnl will create a credit in the supplier, go to paybills and apply the credit to the outstanding invoices.

Find out from your accountant how he wants the interest dealt with he may wish the interest in a separate account and shown when paid with each payment.

When you make payments off the loan they go off the Loan Liabilty account so you can track the balance of your loan.

Any problems contact me - 0429 305300   Kim@kwikbooks.com.au 
  • Margaret Sleigh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That is how we would have done it in the past. However, Quickbooks does not allow you to do a journal entry with more than one supplier in it.  (Or more than one account receivable either)  Will it allow you to do an entry to an account payable and a long term liability in it?  If so then I agree this is a good way to do it.
  • Rishab Jain
    Rishab Jain Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2019
    Options
    How to enter loan from bank in reckon
  • Rishab Jain
    Rishab Jain Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2019
    Options
    How to enter loan from bank in reckon
  • Margaret Sleigh
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Did the bank put the money into your bank account?  If so, set up a loan account for the bank and do a deposit from the loan account to the bank. 

• Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi Rishab

Set up a loan liab. account & identify what it is for, if short term loan, 'other current' if longer like a mortgage then it is 'long term'.  When the deposit hits your bank put it to the liability acct.  When you make payments off the loan make the principal to the liab. acct and interest to a 'loan interest acct'.

If it was an asset purchase and monies went to the supplier, then set up the asset acct for the asset you bought and the loan acct and do a jnl entry between the both.

If other type of loan like overdraft or line of credit etc. let me know