How do i update foreign exchange rates in personal plus 2019

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I am using Personal Plus 2019. I update share prices and fx rates by going to Investing and then online update. One step doesn't work for me. The share prices update but the fx rates never update. Can you tell me why this is happening or if I am not following the right procedure.
Photo of Nik

Nik

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,674 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Can you explain why One Step Update doesn't work for you, Nik?  Have you clicked Select Quotes to ensure relevant stocks are checked?  Also that both Stock and Currency boxes are checked?

What are you sing the FX rate for?
Photo of Nik

Nik

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yes, my shares are selected. After clicking it just shows the arrow going round for ever. I use fx rates to value the foreign bank accounts and foreign share transactions.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,674 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Sorry I've been slow getting back to you, Nik.  Not sure why One Step Update just spins.  Do you have a very large file?  How many stocks are you up-dating?  Maybe try checking only one stock to update and see if that works, then add one by one till you find the troublesome stock.

Other thought would be to Validated and Super Validated your file, but I doubt that's the issue.

Re fx, depends how accurate you want to be and whether you want historical conversions.  RPP only holds one FX rate per currency so it's only reflective at a point in time, and then only a rough approximation of A$ value.  I have off-shore stocks and record their A$ value in RPP but that involves a bit of manual work.  Foreign currency accounts can be mirrored into A$'s if you want to record values at, say month and year-end.

Happy to explain in more detail if you want to contact me off-line at david.stewart@optusnet.com.au 

Photo of David M

David M

• 430 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Nik

One other simple question - have you identified in Reckon that the accounts are in a foreign currency that hold cash and shares, and which currency?
That is part of the set up of each account.
Regards
David