How do I update from Personal Plus 2015 to 2016?

Options
Duncan Bayly
Duncan Bayly Member Posts: 7

Comments

• Karl Baker
    Karl Baker Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Duncan. It's pretty easy to update - go to "Help" on the menu bar, and click on the "Renew or Upgrade Licence" menu option to purchase the 2016 upgrade licence online direct from Reckon. Note that if you use Reckon Home Inventory Manager, the new licence for that program doesn't auto-instal along with Personal Plus 2016; you have to go digging in the new installed RPP2016 files to find the Home Inventory install file. I installed my RPP2016 update on drive C: - from memory the HIM2016 install file was in C:/Program Files (x86)/Reckon - but don't hold me to that, you may need to do a bit of digging.
  • Duncan Bayly
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've just bought a new license for Personal Plus 2015 (obviously a 2016 license was issued). I can't find a way to upgrade from 2015 to 2016. The updates Support page only lists PP 2013 and says no updates are available (http://home.reckon.com.au/support/Home/Downloads/UpdatesServicePacks.aspx?utm_source=reckon&utm_medium=edm&utm_content=body_updates_link&utm_campaign=3rd_party_purchase_accounts_product). When I try to upgrade through PP, nothing happens. I bought the license on Reckon's website, not via the application. How do I upgrade to PP 2016? Do I have to wait until my 2015 license to expire and my 2016 license to kick in?
  • Duncan Bayly
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Sorry Karl, the post interface outfoxed me. I've posted more detail below.
  • Karl Baker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That's a bit bizarre Duncan. I looked at your link to the support page and you are correct it only mention Personal Plus 2012 and 2013, and then only to say that there are no updates (see my comments below). When you say "When I try to upgrade through PP, nothing happens." what exactly do you see? When you click on the "Help/Renew or Upgrade Licence" do you get a popup screen titled "Reckon Accounts Accounts Activation Update" with a 2 Step process to upgrade? If you did, what happened from there? If you can't even get that page I would suggest you call Reckon on 1800 732 566 and ask for Reckon Sales and tell them you want to upgrade and can't through the application. It doesn't surpirise me about the lack of information/options about upgrading versions of Personal Plus - I have had the feeling for some time now that traditional installed software is very low on Reckon's priority list - they seem much more concerned with their cloud hosted offerings; they probably feel that your are more embedded with them if you use that version of their product. Also, I would mention that after using RPP2016 for a few weeks now I am struggling to find much in the way of new features, so unless you need the new 2016 tax rules in your copy of RPP and/or your auto-update of share prices has run overtime  I wouldn't rush to spend money on updating.
  • Duncan Bayly
    edited September 2016
    Options
    How quaint
  • Duncan Bayly
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I select the Renew option in the Help menu, I do get the two-step screen. As I had already bought a new license, I just selected automatically download and install, then clicked OK. A small screen flashes up about contacting the activation server, disappears within a second and nothing further happens. Anyway, I guess I'll uninstall 2015 then install 2016. It feels like a mid-90s process though. As for Reckon's apparent preference for cloud-based solutions, I can understand that from a maintenance perspective, but I'm hesitant to leave my detailed financial records online. Anyway, does Reckon a personal finance cloud application?
  • Duncan Bayly
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Sorry. It just seems like an old-fashioned way of installing an update. I'm used to auto-updating software. Thanks for the helpful tip!
  • Karl Baker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi again Duncan - i think Kevin's point is correct; I do remember when I downloaded the new RPP2016 file I also checked out the install notes and it mentioned that it was recommended to backup your data file and uninstall RPP2015. Like you it seemed odd to me that the RPP2016 install routine doesn't include uninstalling RPP2015 if that is required. I did as suggested and uninstalled RPP2015; RPP2016 installed OK, but I had the same issues as you and in the end had to telephone Reckon to do the activation. Have you managed to activate the S/W?
  • Duncan Bayly
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Another day. Thanks for your help and I'll try to remember to update this post on how I go