How to change a transactions details to be more what I want, rather then and entry from years ago?

Barb Allen-Guthrie
Barb Allen-Guthrie Member Posts: 23
Recurring entries

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Barb.  Before your record the transaction, re-memorise it (Ctrl + m) to bring it up to date (you will be asked if you want to replace it or do a new one), then record it.
    John L G
  • DebonAir
    DebonAir Member Posts: 392
    edited May 2017
    Open the transaction, make the changes then Ctl M to memorise it.
    Or, find it in the list of Memorised Transactions (Ctl T) open it, make changes and then Ctl M and select Replace.
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited March 2017
    Thank you both, I have done that, and then the next time I go to type the transactions it is blank and not memorised anything is that right?  I thought it saved the amount for instance, as somehow other entries have the amount of the payment without me saving them.  Or is that only for cheques?
  • DebonAir
    edited May 2017
    You might need to check your settings in Preferences, you can check the settings for General. Select Automatically remember account or transaction information.
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Hi Barb.  Instead of typing the new transacton, you need to re-call it from the memorised transaction list (Ctrl + T), select it and type in the changes.
    John L G
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited July 2020
    Sorry I have tried this and think the memorised transaction needs to be opened to enter every time.  I seem to have transactions that straight into the bank account I type the Payee and the rest fills in for me, but I did not set these up, so they are somewhere in memory, that is what I need to adjust and change.  I am sorry if this does not make sense, but rang Advantage and got cut off both times, so not sure if they are having phone issues or this is too hard for them :-)

• John Graetz
    edited March 2017
    Hi Barb.  What type of transaction are you having problems with?
    John L G
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Deb, I will check this out.
  • John Graetz
    edited March 2017
    Barb.  When you do a straight enter of a cheque or bill, it will automatically recall the most recent transaction recorded for the payee or supplier, based on what DebonAir said about your settings.  To have something specific for you to recall, memorise the transaction (Ctrl + m) and when you want to use that specific transaction again, recall it from the memorised transaction list instead.  You can set up multiple memorised transactions for the same payee/supplier which cover regular but different types of supplies.
    John L G
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited March 2017
    I have checked and that is what is selected, but when I type the entry it is bringing it up from Oct 2016, but I have made the same entry twice a month since then and it still only remembers that Oct 16 one?
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited March 2017
    Hi John, It is a salary for a client, but I have them set up as an Employee so wondered if this was the problem.  I always type straight into the open bank account that is receiving the money.
  • DebonAir
    edited May 2017
    Have you checked that you dont have 2 suppliers with similar names? The program will always bring up the most recently dated transaction.
  • DebonAir
    edited May 2017
    Can you do a screen shot of your transaction so we see exactly what is going on here. thanks

• Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited March 2017
    I have the right Employee not a supplier, and is it safe to put a screenshot here as it shows the whole page with a couple of weeks entries?

• Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited March 2017
    I suppose who can use it.  Tried to paste it here but no go sorry.
    Almost time to go home so I might have to come back to here Monday or over the weekend, but thank you both Deb and John for trying :-)  I appreciate it.

• John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Barb.  What type of transaction are you talking about - is it a cheque/debit?  Have you tried to enter it as a cheque instead of direct into the bank account.  If you enter anything straight into the bank account, there is no scope to be able to record the GST code or are you not registered for GST?
    John L G
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited March 2017
    John it is a deposit for fortnightly salary.  So no GST needed on this one.
    I have the payee as "Employee"
  • John Graetz
    edited March 2017
    I think we now have the reason for your problem.  Ideally you should be setting this up as a Sales Receipt/Tax Invoice, which, once you have set it up, you can memorise, and then the next time around recall it from the memorised transaction list and change it is needed.  When you need to permanently change it, just re-memorise it (along the lines stated earlier).
    The principle regarding GST applies to anything that you enter straight into the bank account i.e. there is no scope to record a GST code if one should be entered.
    John L G
  • John Graetz
    edited March 2017
    Barb. I still have a problem with your terminology which seems to be mixed up with the type of transaction you are recording.  You seem to be mentioning receiving a deposit from an employee or client for salary which you are receving into your bank account. or do you mean a payment for salary which is being paid out of your bank account?
    John L G
  • John Graetz
    edited March 2017
    Barb.  If you are receiving money from a client which is a salary payment for you, then you are the employee, NOT the client - they are a supplier.
    John L G
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited March 2017
    No i am entering income for a client from his firm that he works for so that is why I have him as an employee but that could b the problem
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2020
    Hi Barb - just weighing in on all this - I think the problem is that using a Make Deposits screen will not trigger the "auto recall last transaction" function - so it will always be blank... the only way to achieve what you want is to Memorise the deposit transaction - and then use this Memorised transaction each time you want to enter this type of entry...  Cheers Linda
  • John Graetz
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the extra input Linda.  Based on what Barb has said previously, she is neither using Make Deposits, or entering the receipt as a Sales Receipt, but entering it straight into the bank register and as such that cannot be memorised or auto recalled.  The only way to cater for memorised receipts is to use Sales Receipt (or Make Deposits), and then recall it from the memorised transaction list the next time around.
    John L G
  • glendaveale
    glendaveale Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Joan - Where are you located?  Would you like to talk to me over the phone and maybe we can sort it out.\Bye
    Glenda
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Who is Joan?  Not sure if you meant me but it is not me who has the problem.
    John L G
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited April 2017
    Hi John, I am sorry I have confused the issue.  I will try to explain it better.

For many prior years I did the following entries twice monthly:
    Date, tab, Delete, Tab, I type "Thompson", tab, I type into the Deposit box the amount "$     ", tab, I type the Account "Salary" press Enter and the entry saved, that was easy.

But then early 2016 I made the same entry into the bank account but this time it was a payment $26.23 as he had to reimburse his employer.

So from now on the entry always go straight to the Payment field with that amount of $26.23 in it, despite me making many entries after that, it just saved that one payment and I cannot seem to get rid of it, why did it save that one when I did not memorise it?

Does this make more sense?
    Barb
    :

• Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited April 2017
    HI Glenda I am in Qld and yes happy to phone you if you can help.
    I have tried to explain it better in above message to John.
    Barb
  • glendaveale
    edited April 2017
    Hi, my mobile is 0418 171 384.  Happy to chat to you.
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

Hi Barb

Can I assume you are actually using the Reckon "Home & Business" program, as that's what it sounds like to me!?  If so there is a simple solution but could I please ascertain which program you are using as that might help the confusion.

Thank you

Robyn

• Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited April 2017
    Reckon Accounts Plus 2016 is the program
  • glendaveale
    edited April 2017
    Hi Barb, I am at avail this morning if you would like to call me.
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited April 2017
    I am a bookkeeper, I work for a guy and do his books.
    He works for a firm and they pay him a salary twice monthly.
    I am entering the payment received from his employer into QuickBooks as a employee deposit into his bank account for him. 
    Nothing to do with me he is a client of mine.
    Does that make sense?
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited April 2017
    Hi Everyone, I have spoken to Glenda and got it all sorted, but thank you thank you all for your wonderful help, it is nice to know you are out there, unlike Quicken Advantage.... :-)
  • Barb Allen-Guthrie
    edited April 2017
    Glenda thank you again, I have set it all up as discussed, I will let you know next week if the memorised transactions is working, how exciting... :-)
  • glendaveale
    edited April 2017
    No problem, always nice to help someone out and also can get help when needed.  Look forward to hearing how it goes next week.
  • glendaveale
    edited April 2017
    Hi Barb - how did you go?