How to get an automatic future date field

Options
Deb_9768970
Deb_9768970 Member Posts: 27
Does anyone know how to get a drop down date field that will automatically put in a date that is 2 weeks time from the date of the invoice?  I want to tell my customer when their next service date is, for those on a recurring schedule, it is a nuisance to have to go into the drop down calendar and pick the date.  Can't it just know when 2 weeks time is?

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Best suggestion I can come up with is:  Setup a Terms item that is set for 14 days...Call it Next Service... then edit your invoice template... Tick to include the Terms on both the invoice template and the screen - edit the name to be Next Service... this will populate your 14 days as you like.  Now using the Layout Designer - add a Text Field to your invoice template to put your actual payment terms in to words - eg Net 30 days or Net 7 days etc?  would that work for you?
  • Deb_9768970
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi Linda, I really appreciate your contribution, thank you so much.  Yes it probably will be the perfect answer.  Terms are a header field, and I have been writing the next service date as a nice text line in the body of the description area, but I guess I can design my invoice to drag and drop that header field somewhere that will be equally as clear to see at a glance, as my text line in the description body was.  I am quite comfortable with design layout tools - I have the BEST invoice - QuickBooks/Reckon/Intuit they were so smart getting the design features to be so user friendly - it's amazing how much pizazz you can give your forms!!)  One question though, is that I need the terms field for my invoice payment terms, so won't it scramble if I try to duplicate and use the field for something else on the same template? But if I know this programme, and its all I've used for 30 years :-)  there will be a spot that I can create it that doesn't interfere.  Would love more feedback!  Thanks again Linda
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I agree its not ideal as you wont be able to duplicate the terms field... what are your terms?  let me know and then we can consider what your options might be?
  • Deb_9768970
    edited June 2020
    Options
    For nearly all invoices, the terms are 7 days.

• Deb_9768970
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I guess I can just print the terms on the letterhead as a stock standard thing that never changes, which would free up the terms field to be used as the next service date field.  Then I would just have to remember to ignore the days overdue in reports, and look at the original dates of invoices to chase any overdues.  And for statements, then I would have to do away with the 30, 60 90 days bit at the bottom, just delete those fields from the layout.  We don't have many customers who work on 30 60 90.  I could try it for a while and see how it went.
    Think I will.  Because the time I am spending on making sure I have the right next date in the field if costing me too much.  But Dear Reckon, do you "reckon" you could deal with this in the next upgrade?  Many service businesses will love you for it.  Just a recurring date field.  It's a little bitty thing.  But please put it in the Desktop version as well, not just the hosted and cloud one.
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
    Options
    One other thing that may help you Deb, is to change your preferences under Reports & Graphs - Company Preferences.. to age by transaction date rather than due date?   Then you would only need to remove the word Overdue from the ageing boxes at the bottom of your statement templates and when you run the AR Ageing Summary - you will be seeing the outstanding invoices by date - current, 1-30, etc...  which should make sense to you?  Another alternative would be to change your terms to 14 days as well?  not sure how far removed that is from your current terms?  ;)
  • Linda ABC
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Just read this after I posted!!! sorry!  - ok well I think my suggestion may help you and you could even customise your ageing reports to be in 7 day breaks which would help a bit further?  Cheers!
  • Deb_9768970
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Excellent idea thanks Linda.  Actually I am already doing that with the ageing terms, as I preferred to see it from the transaction date.  So in fact it will be no problem to dispense with the terms box on the invoice, which means I can use it for the recurring next date purpose instead.  I am certainly going to give it a try and see what happens anyway.  If successful, if will save me a lot of time when invoicing.  Thanks again!