How to find an imbalance on a Payment Summary in Payroll Premier?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
One of my employee's Payment Summary doesn't balance to the Pays Report for Gross Wages. How do I find out what makes up the amount shown in the Gross Payments field of the Payment Summary? I have checked Allowances and it is not to do with Allowances
Photo of Nerida

Nerida

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Melanie

Melanie

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am finding exactly the same problem. When was your last pay period for the financial year?
Photo of Nerida

Nerida

Hi Melanie,

Mine was ending 25th June, paid 26th June

Photo of Suzanne Lockwood

Suzanne Lockwood, Accredited Partner

• 2,774 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Hi Nerida,

I know you say you have checked Allowances and assume you mean the amounts, on that assumption just wondering if you have checked the setup of the Allowance items to ensure they are pointing correctly to either Gross Payments or Allowances (if reported separately)?

Suzanne Lockwood

Reckon Accredited Consultant

suzanne.lockwood@lockington.com.au

Photo of Nerida

Nerida

Hi Suzanne,

Yes I have checked the set-up of Allowances. Also we pay quite a lot of allowances to many staff and no other employees have this problem. I am thinking it is something to do with dates. I have established that the Payment Summary Gross Payments is based on Date Paid and the Pays Report for the fin yr is based on Pay End Date. I just can't find a detail report for the Gross Payments on the Payment Summary to work out what transaction is different. hmmmm?

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Nerida

Nerida

Hi Mirko,

Thanks for your help, but that link doesn't say anything about how to fix an imbalance between the Payment Summary and the Employee Earnings Report and just says to check it. Is there any documentation on how to investigate an imbalance between the two?

Thanks Nerida

Photo of Graham Boast

Graham Boast, Accredited Partner

• 11,394 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Nerida. Look at a Payroll Summary Report for last FY, and filter to show just that employee. This will show every pay component. Check all of these components against the Tax Tracking column in Lists > Payroll Items. Look for dedùctions incorrectly put against gross payments, or payroll items for non-pay things (eg reimbursements) that will account for the differences. Think through everything - the discrepancy may be correct

Graham Boast
Graham@reckonhelp.com.au
www.reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm
Photo of Nerida

Nerida

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your response. I am using Payroll Premier 2014-2015. There is no Lists>Payroll Items. The Pays Report for the relevant employee shows all the pays for the financial year, however it is based on Pay End Date and so is every other report I can find, I cannot seem to find a report based on Paid Date (which is what the Payment Summary uses). There is an option under Lists to show Pays, which I have done however again the date it is using is based on Pay End Date.

Would you happen to know a detail report that uses Date Paid?

Photo of Suzanne Lockwood

Suzanne Lockwood, Accredited Partner

• 2,744 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Hi Nerida,

Sorry it's taken me a while to chime back in - busy time for all!  When reconciling payroll year-end reports in Payroll Premier I change the Printing preference to 'Date Paid' as you would have done to produce the Payment Summaries and then run all required reports on that basis.  You will of course have discrepancies between the reports that do and don't include cents due to rounding down and as I'm sure you will be aware some reports separate the Allowances total and some include them in the Gross Wages total.

Once I'm happy that all reports match up I then compare them to the Payment Summaries.  I always print the Payment Summaries using a PDF printer so that they can be saved as a single document (rather then the program PDF option of separate PDFs) and then have them open on screen to compare to the reports before printing, especially for a large payroll and are easily available for future reference.

I have learnt that if there is no obvious reason for any reporting discrepancies, I will rebuild the data first (never tick the two Super options) before looking deeper as this often resolves reporting issues in reports and payslips.  In fact, I do this before I start the year-end process.

I will also compare the EmpDupe file with the Payment Summary information as in my experience there can be differences here too!

Hope that helps.

Suzanne Lockwood

suzanne.lockwood@lockington.com.au

Photo of Graham Boast

Graham Boast, Accredited Partner

• 11,394 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Nerida

Missed the enormous heading stating Payroll Premier! I think I need some sleep.

Graham
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Busy time off year, hope you caught up on some zzzz's last night Graham!