How to manually update Share prices in Personal Plus & HAB

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

How to manually  update Share prices in Reckon Personal Plus & HAB

Before I start I will answer the question most will be on most people’s minds. It is not possible to import a file with prices changes. Now that’s been cleared up I can show you a few simple steps that will make you a professional at updating share prices in your Accounting software.

Manually updating share prices is a two-step process, obtaining share prices and the data entry component.

Where do I find the share prices?
For those of you like me, that don’t track the stock market, relying on news to keep us in the loop, this is something you’ll be asking yourself.

You’re able to obtain historic data from services such as :
•    ASX website
•    The Age
•    Yahoo 7 Finance

Once you are on one of these pages, it’s a case of searching through and finding your shares (your ASX Code will come in handy).

How do I enter the data?
So you’ve found your shares prices what now? Below is a step by step guide on how to update the share prices.

Step One:
From your home page click on investing and go into your brokerage account (Shortcut: Double Click on Brokerage Account on the left hand menu (highlighted)) and it will take you into the brokerage Page.

Step Two:
Right click on the share you wish to update. One the drop down appears click on Price History, which will bring up a the ‘Price History’ menu where you perform your data entry.

Step Three:
Once the Price History is open, click on New and a pop up will appear where you can input Date, Price, High, Low & Volume.
The only prerequisite is to enter the Date & Price (closing). If you wish to keep a more detailed account of your historical prices, you may wish to fill out the other sections also.

Made a mistake or had a finger-slip what now?
Never fear, the edit feature is here to save the day! By highlighting a date and clicking on Edit a popup will appear which will let you update the share price data.

Hope this has helped!
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of alainpaulr

alainpaulr

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I have been a licensed user of Quicken then Reckon Essential Plus for more years than I can recall.

I am also a shareholder in RKN. Reckon Ltd for some years now.

As a customer, I am very unhappy to be told with little warning that the product I pay for is no longer available.

As a shareholder, I am very concerned that Reckon management show no sign of having the honesty to look after its long time faithful followers. This is disgusting and quiet frankly stupid as a business strategy.

Customers upset, shareholders upset, how far can one go in the depth of stupidity.

My words to the chairman of RKN board, the directors and the senior management are:  Customers, shareholders are watching you. Do not be silly. Offer a product that is safe, reliable and with no surprise.

As a customer I need a strong and  effective way to manage my finance.

As an investor, I need to see my investment to perform at its best.  It means no surprise as today.

Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
if you go to the Sharesight website on Tuesday I am told you will be able to buy a combination accounting package (not Reckon) and share management system that includes daily price updates as well as other share management data that automatically updates the accounting package
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

In the "Record an Income Event" tab, enter the amount in "miscellaneous" box and then enter the account name you want to use to record the transaction. e.g Like " Depreciation Distributed"
Photo of Kel Luke

Kel Luke

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Reckon accounts personal plus - updating number of shares/units held in investment accounts.

In several of my shareholder accounts the number of shares held or units in share funds are not in line with actual shares/units held.. There is a provision to adjust unit or share holdings but when I complete the drop down action to show the correct total the program adds the new total to the Reckon total and so effectively doubles the number of shares/units. If I try to add the difference between the Reckon total and true total then similarly the new total is incorrectly shown.

I have previously reported this problem to Reckon support but as usual got no response.          
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 4,092 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I have had similar problems, as when I tried to adjust the number of shares after a restructure. Check the date of the corrected total as this did fix this once. But, I too have had this problem in RPP 2013.
Photo of STCM

STCM

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Invest - Managed Funds.

I have  Personal Plus 2013 and am unable to update managed funds. I have a place holder entry and want to update reinvest details.  I get either double the units or monetary value. What do I need to do?
Photo of Margaret Norris

Margaret Norris

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

There are many silly little quirks in the share portfolio component of RPP13 and previous iterations.  Updating managed funds requires a lot of "manual adjustments" to arrive at the proper number of units.  It is a waste of time trying to get answers from Reckon support as they are only interested in flogging the program to unskilled users doing home budgets.  Any programming changes for more sophisticated functions seem to be beyond them.

With three accounts running in SMSFs, I regard these basic shortcomings as just plain annoying.  Topped off by the appalling manner in which this latest, so-called "update" has been handled by Reckon.

Before processing your tax returns(s), it pays to double check your figures before relying on the values produced by RPP13!

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Margret, I agree as it is disappointing that Reckon appear to have put such little effort into recognising and improving these useful features. The latest QPP12 and RPP13 offerings appeared to be limited to the change of name and update of the share subscription plus unfortunately some regressions with share transactions.

I wonder what would have been the response if they said that the budget feature would stop on 1st August. I gave up on that years ago.

We should have paid more attention to the name change 18 months ago !

John

Photo of Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I wasn't going to add comment to this discussion but I believe we as quicken users need to make our feelings known. I have used the quicken product for at least 15 years and personal plus for a lot of those years. It amazes me how Reckon seems to hold its loyal customers in contempt. Informing us two days prior to cutting off our data .Reading through the posts there does seem to be quite a number who have been loyal customers for many years as well. From the information I have been provided by Reckon I can’t say the same for them. I do wonder if with this alteration to the conditions of data provided if the price of the product purchased will change, higher costs for the consumer more profits for the provider. As loyal customer we become  blind to other products offered  in the market place, which may provide the same or superior  benefit for the same price or less with other possible extras and maybe some appreciation of their customer base. Maybe one should explore some of those other opportunities and compare. 
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 712 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The download worked tonight, not that the sea of red looked pretty.  

Is this something we can keep looking forward to continuing (referring to the download!) or is it another aberration on the part of Reckon?
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

Well, how about that, the download from Quicken still works as of 2050, 060814. Can you believe anything Quicken tells you into the future, as a result of their ham fisted blunders of the recent past.? This was supposed to stop 310714. Make sure you do manual downloads Quicken advises, update your software soon they advise, free if you have a subscription beyond 070814 they advise, ha, when has anything from Quicken been free? They mean you may receive what you have already paid for, but maybe not. Xero and Share-sight looks good into the future. Does anyone have any relevant experience?
Have been on Sharesight for over a year and definitely recommend it. Dividends are credited directly and performance reports are excellent - including showing the impact of franking credits.

Was thinking of going on Xero which has a free trial on offer but doubt that I will proceed. Their small business program seems to be well regarded but has too many features I don't need (which bumps up the cost). What really turned me off though is that they cancelled their Personal Xero offering due to lack of demand and being cloud based that left a lot of people scrambling to retrieve their data. Would appear though that Xero were rather more helpful than Quicken/Reckon
Photo of Tom Hall

Tom Hall

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I use Xero for business which is fantastic with live bank feeds for easy recs. If they had a good personal offering I would certainly consider it but it is not their focus unfortunately.
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

How do you dump on Quicken/Reckon and they give your comment a "like"
Photo of hob_star

hob_star

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Huh! It would appear that the download function is still working (06/08/2014) ....

To quote Pete Sanders, Managing Director, "On 1 August 2014, the current stock price quotes download functionality will no longer be active and is to be replaced by a service on a new platform."

Reckon continues to shoot themselves in the foot. Sigh!

Is there any comment from Reckon on this development?

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi Hob_star as per our recent emails and yesterdays post (on page on of this thread and in image below), we can’t guarantee that your service will continue indefinitely as the domain is no longer owned by Reckon. We are urging users that rely on the share price downloads to upgrade once the new product is available from tomorrow.

Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

• 3,170 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Will the new version be a download or a posted disc as previous updates?
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi Leif, it will be download only. Should you or any other users prefer a CD you can request it when you receive the email (there will be a link). - Mirko
Photo of Steven

Steven

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Well it's mid afternoon on the 7th of August and no sign of any new version or informative emails as yet. Do you have any update for us Mirko?
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Thanks... So that should happen today? or tomorrow?
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

Well Reckon, its 0800, 080814 and no sign of the new ubute software promised for 070814, whats happening?
Photo of Margaret Norris

Margaret Norris

Is it too much to expect that the new version will be compatible with ALL Windows 32 and 64 bit systems from XP to 8.1?

Please advise.

Be better if it is also compatible with Mac but that's a forlorn hope in Australia
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

It is too much to expect anything... The update was to arrive on 7th Aug but to date there's still no sign of it and no word from Reckon. Very disappointing. Again I say, don't expect anything. I think to myself "what was this all about???".
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

This has developed into a classic case study on how to alienate your existing client base, loyal for 10 of years in many instances.
1.1st announce that with 2 days notice a critical feature will cease. This causes consternation, anger and increased frustration levels at an already revieled supplier.
2. 2nd, advise that a manual solution is available to your clients, some of whom have scores of stocks they manage on a daily basis. Causes more anger and frustration and inspires clients to seek alternative solutions.
3. Initially fail to advise that a replacement program will continue the critical feature that will cease.Then advise it will be a continuing feature in a replacement program that will be distributed on a specific date. Causes a rise in disbelief and scorn at the management skills of the Developer.
4. Fail to advise that the critical feature that was to be discontinued, will continue. Blames other parties for the continuance of this critical feature. Causes more derision.
5. Reaffirms the issue date of the new program
6. Fails to deliver on the issue of the new program on the reaffirmed issue date, critical feature continues on the original program. Causes even more derision, anger, frustration and scorn. Clients negotiate a satisfactory alternative with helpful suppliers.
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

What were they thinking? Obviously they weren't! If anyone finds a viable alternative, please broadcast it. Even if Reckon get their service back on track, there will be no more trust or certainty in them or their product. You get the feeling that customers (that's us, hello) are just a nuisance for Reckon, interruption their peace and quiet. If only we would go away. Just might get your wish.
Photo of Steven

Steven

Could not agree more Malcolm!
Started my personal accounts with Microsoft Money way back but that went to the big code repository in the sky so I moved to Quicken.
Must say it has been good for the last 10 years but the version upgrade process has never been what I would call smooth.
In a week or so we will all be upgraded and this will just be a bad memory but it has to get kudos as you say about being a case study in how NOT to roll out a major version upgrade.
It's not just what has gone on this last week or so but indeed the whole fact that we did not get a version last year and this is now a skip to 2015 version. You g to the Updates and patches page and there is nothing since 2013. Not even Tax Rate updates.
C'mon Reckon, it should not be hard to give an update. The silence is deafening!
How true. How true!
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Guys, Win8.1, has been tested and is full compatible!
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi All, I've chased this up on your behalves to clarify the situation. RA Personal 2015 will be out on Monday, there has been some final testing deployed to ensure the release occurs without a hitch. My apologies for the timing of this notice. I have been assured that the product will go live Monday 11th August. Thank you for your patience and understanding. - Mirko
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Mirko

What a position your employer has put you in. Take my word for it though... we are definitely not being either patient or understanding. We have no choice in the short term but to place some faith in you. At this stage it is not working.
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

Does anyone know how to generate a CSV file for export from Personal Plus that contains Date, ASX Code, Buy, Sell.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Malcolm,

I have been asking for that for 10 years, and have never got an acknowledgement from Reckon of my question. What I would like is to be able to dump the data that is stored by RPP, being Date, ASX Code, high, low, close, volume. It is possible to dump all transactions to a .txt file, which includes buy and sell transactions, but price history is not available. You have to go to other sites, like Yahoo Finance. I track about 100 ASX codes, which makes the dump an effort.

I have again made numerous comments in the last week and all I have as a response is from Mirko, that he will forward it on. The silence from Reckon is both amazing and shows the contempt they have for their clients.

Photo of Daryl

Daryl

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Malcolm,

I found this resource some time ago i have used it once and you can get close to what you want.

The Quicken file that contains the Quicken Price History has the file extension of .QPH - this application processes this file. I would suggest that you take a copy of this file a use the copy to process. Don't use the original.

Have a look and only use it if you feel comfortable.

Details:

http://www.reltan.com/
QPH File Processor

The QPH File Processor utility will extract security and investment price information
held within a Quicken personal finance QPH file.
Now capable of processing a QPH file of up to 75MB (previously 50MB). 
Export to a tab-delimited or comma-separated text file or
Export to a SQLite3 database table (June 2014) 
Downloaded by hundreds (thousands?) of Quicken users since it was first published in 2007.

Free downloads
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Daryl,

Thanks very much for the advice. I have been looking for this for years.

It is interesting that the link states "The QPH File Processor utility was written in 2007  because some versions of Quicken Personal and Quicken Personal Plus published in some countries do not have the capability to export historical securities prices." We are in the fortunate position of being one of those countries !

I will give it a try!

This will give me the ability to identify missing data and potentially write a .csv file of the missing data that I can obtain from Yahoo or equivalent sites, then import into QPP.

Yet another example of RECKON Australia's treatment of the user base.

(Edited)
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Postscript:  I tried out the utility and it exported over 270,000 records for 180 companies, which I can analyse in Excel.

My plan is to now download a few high profile companies from Yahoo, use a vlookup of the existing quicken data to check for yahoo dates that are not in the quicken database and then convert these to a .csv file to import into quicken. Should work a treat.

(vlookup is a very useful feature in Excel and you would be surprised how large a dataset it can search. This approach will use a list of 270,000 records, filtered for each company code, applied to each date dumped from Yahoo. it might take a couple of seconds, but very effective)

The next pass could be to check volume data. A quick sort of the volume data identified a few errors in the database, especially with Dow Jones and Nasdaq records.

It is certainly disappointing how, over the years, Reckon Australia has refused to improve the share price facility.

Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
In the Price History (at Security Detail View | Update | Edit Price History), the Print function allows export   (of a single stock) to a nicely formatted TXT file. Even for a few tens of stocks, this might not be too tedious.
(Edited)
Photo of Bruce Carnwell

Bruce Carnwell

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ok. It is 10:14 on 11Aug14 in Australia & I have not received an email about the upgrade as promised above.  My license is current for H&B.  What time on the 11Aug14 are you planning on sending the email, or is Reckon going to miss this deadline also ??
Photo of reckoncust

reckoncust

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Reckon/Quicken have for years been treating their australian customers poorly. Their upgrades are pathetic offering only the most trivial changes or new features that are quite laughable. The australian versions are a decade or more behind what is offered in the US. This is just another example of their desperation in offering a "new" version to keep their income stream flowing along. Their arrogance is astounding but they know we will keep buying the product because there is no better alternative. I will be "upgrading" whether I like it or not. And so will you. 
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

You are correct. We will upgrade, but only until another software developer/ distributer sees the obvious opportunity. I have been telling Reckon for years about an error in their Investments/Today's Data screen. But no response. They are not interested in fixing errors or bugs. Maybe it's because I am not an Ad vantage customer. And fancy paying about $4.90/min for me to tell them about the crap in their software. Hope the upgrade promised for Monday has been worth the embarrassment for Reckon and of use to us, the paying customer.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Well, I've looked into other data sources and found a web site that stores ASX historical data for daily share prices and indices, that go back to 1997. It provides a new text file for each day. I intend to write my own program to interrogate these text files and generate a .csv compatible file for QPP, so that I can update from another source. At least this source will not expire after 7 days. (Actually a simple scan with dos FIND would quickly generate the required info for a single share that could be tidied up.)

I will also generate a test to compare to the data extracted from the QPH file, to that available from this new database and so generate a .csv file for corrections. This will fill in the missing days.

I'm tired of the poor performance of Reckon, so I'll see how difficult my requests have been !!

(Edited)
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

Hey all you Reckon customers out there who have been alienated by this stupid case of poor management, MAINTAIN THE RAGE!!!!!!!!!
Photo of pmchristo .

pmchristo .

Support all the above comments - another dissatisfied customer of 15 years
Photo of Geoff Ince

Geoff Ince

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Malcolm, there has been movement at the camp.  By signing into Members on  www.Reckon.com and clicking on upgrade it now shows "Your Reckon Accounts 2014 software" with the product details plus Installation Key Code for the 2014 software.  This is not the 2015 previously mentioned though.  They are moving in the right direction.
Don't get too excited yet. There is no link to download the software which I am told will be later today or tomorrow
Photo of Bruce Carnwell

Bruce Carnwell

Ok. It is 10:19 on 11Aug14 in Australia & I have not received an email about the upgrade as promised above.  My license is current for H&B.  What time on the 11Aug14 are you planning on sending the email, or is Reckon going to miss this deadline also ??
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

The least Reckon can do is give all its customers at least one (1) year's free subscription as a sign of good faith. Also be a bit more serious about upgrading with REAL advances.
Photo of Steven

Steven

Thinking that the offices of Reckon might not be a good place to be this morning with major issues with the upgrade of Hosted Accounts including months of lost data for some customers.
Big chance that the Personal/Personal Plus/H&B upgrade will be playing second fiddle....
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

If the upgrade was ready to go you would think Reckon would be itching to release it first thing this morning. I suspect another delay. The reason? incompetence.
Photo of Steven

Steven

In another thread an employee now says "by the end of business today". More delays.
Photo of Tom Hall

Tom Hall

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Who will be brave enough to download and install it????? If it is no good you will have to pay Reckon to fix their bugs.
Photo of Steven

Steven

Action! Logged into the estore and clicked on Upgrade my Product and it's live! Upgrade was $149 and no sign of prorated discount but will settle for a credit down the track.
Downloading 900Mb now....
Photo of Richard

Richard

Logged on to Members Area and download link was available (at no charge as I was still within my subscription period).  Now downloading.  Disk version also available.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Please let us know how it goes. Don't forget to do a backup first !!
Photo of Steven

Steven

Data File backed up and copied to Microsoft OneDrive where Reckon can't get to it! 600Mb down and 300 to go. 
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

I tried to upgrade but there is no button to press. I then tried to call them so they could guide me through it but they do not answer their phone. Boy this is frustrating. HOW DO I GET THE FREE UPGRADE AS AN EXISTING CUSTOMER. YES I AM YELLING.
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

Verified, Backup up, copied to external hard drive, Downloaded ReckonAccountsPersonal2015.exe, unzipped, ran as administrator. Now appears to be working up is untested as yet. 1st Unzip failed. Tried to contact advantage but phone would not even ring. Rang sales, instant answer, transferred to advantage. 39 minutes later I hung up and tried the unzip again, this time worked. started at 0900, its now 1145. NOT HAPPY. Still testing Sharesight and Xero
Photo of Steven

Steven

I bought Personal Plus 2013 back in Dec 2012. I got the Upgrade from the previous version. Today I was presented with a choice of Annual Sub for $115, Upgrade for $149 or Full for $239. Each option had Add to Cart button. I went for the upgrade and went through the checkout with zero issues.
Have just started installing and after the unpacking of the ZIP file it has exited with a message that a previous version is installed and I must remove that first before trying again. Slack! Most installers I use can cope with uninstalling before an upgrade!
Will report back when all done.
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

I went to reckon.com.au Signed In with my Customer id and PIN and it advised me that my upgrade was ready as an existing customer. I pressed the Download button and I am now downloading 900MB. Will inform you how it goes. It also gave an opportunity to request a DVD. Just wondering if there is an advantage in this. Not sure if there's a cost.
Photo of Steven

Steven

Well it's all done. The install process went smoothly enough. It prompted if I should install the Converter (but with zero explanation what it actually does) as well as the HUBB Investor tool (again no explanation).
It opened my existing data file on launch and all looks just fine. It looks very very familiar, ie I can't see anything really new as yet! It looks just the same as it did before.
Maybe if Reckon could let us know, aside from a new domain for stock updates, just what it did to justify another $149 upgrade I would be happy!
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Just installed the 2015 version successfully. We'll see tonight if the share prices download successfully. It looks exactly like the 2013 version. Wonder what magic goodies Reckon have included for us but not told us about. After installation I was presented with a Survey. I am putting that off for now as I was feeling too good at the time.
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Oh and I did have to first uninstall the 2013 version. It was risky but I took the risk and it all worked fine.
Photo of Richard

Richard

I have also been able to download and install the 2015 version - not without further issues and some frustration, but got there in the end.

I accessed the download from the "Members Area" of www.reckon.com.  900MB download worked OK but as a safeguard I also requested a Disk, which will be delivered at no cost within 5 business days. So no need to purchase if you have a current subscription.

Following the download, I was able automatically unzip the file into theTemp directory, but then it didn't carry-on.  After a number of unzippings and no result, I resorted to go directly to the install file in  Temp/HAB/Disk1.  Tried the setup.exe file but it did bu---r all, so then tried ISsetup which got half way through "copying new files" before telling me that I had "insufficient privileges" so had to cancel.  Then went right clicked on ISsetup and selected "Run as Administrator" and all worked fine.

On initially opening the new version I initially received a message that the installation didn't appear to be on the same computer as the original version, which it wasn't, as the original one died a few months ago, and that I would need to contact Customer Service (read shock horror!), but after closing and re-opening I was then simply asked to register the new installation, which happened without any further hassle.

So now functional - just need to see what happens with the share price updates tonight and if there has been any improvement in functionality to make up for all the time, effort and frustration associated with this whole horrible saga.
Photo of Margaret Norris

Margaret Norris

Richard,

I am interested to know if you had to run an "uninstall" as noted in another comment above.  I am running Win 8.1 and in upgrading to the last iteration of PP2013, I did not have any problems, as another member reported.

We shall wait and see just how this whole mess turns out. Of course, Reckon has not officially advised that the upgrade is available and how to go about getting it. It should not have to be via this blog.

Terrible support for users - my subscription was renewed 30 July 2014, just about the same day we received 2 days notice of the "upgrade" - have used the product since 2000 and not impressed.

Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Yes Margaret, I had to uninstall the 2013 version... shock horror but I risked it. It worked fine. I also had to re-register it which it seemed to do automatically. I am trying to find out what the improvements are that we all had to suffer this trauma for it.
Photo of Steven

Steven

Won't get much focus from the Support guys today as they look to be busy dealing with the absolute train wreck over in Accounts Hosted! My personal finances can wait a few days. For the Hosted users that are running businesses it is looking like a disaster! Staff sitting around with nothing to do and deliveries not going out as people can't login to produce invoices. 
Photo of Richard

Richard

Margaret, I didn't need to run an uninstall on the 2103 version - it all happened seamlessly for me.  I am running Windows8.1.
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

I had to uninstall 2013 but I am on 7. It wasn't an issue for me
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

I ahve been unable to find 1 new feature of yet
Photo of reckoncust

reckoncust

A typical Reckon "upgrade"..  they have apparently revised the income tax thresholds, medicare levy and capital gains tax calculation. Any other software company would implement these minor changes on the fly via a patch free of charge. Oh and I forgot, they have restored the downloading of share prices that we all had until they removed it. We have to pay for this? This is an upgrade? it's a joke and this has been going on for years now. All it will take now is for a competitor to come in and offer an alternative and it will be bye bye Reckon. 
Photo of Steven

Steven

Wow - Looks like I was too keen! Earlier today I went to the eStore and found the 2015 upgrade available for $149. I bought the upgrade and went through the download and install process and that is all working.
Just now I have received an email announcing the new version is available and due to the "issues" with the share update feature and given my 2 year share update feature has 5 months to run then I can get the upgrade at a reduced price of $86.92 using a Discount Code provided in the email.

My advice is to wait for the email with the Discount Code.

Looks like I will need to write in for a refund of the difference now. Bummer.

Steven  
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

• 358 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Well at this stage all seems OK - I responded to the e-mail advising me that the upgrade was available.  There was some information on the e-mail about what the changes were.  

I went through the usual process of backing up and validating the files as normal.  Also ran off a couple of standard reports - Income and Expenses - this year so far and for last year.  Also ran off the Account Balance Report.  Then downloaded the upgrade - was advised I had to uninstall the previous version.  I did that although I did not uninstall the Inventory Program but I did do a backup.   I then ran the upgrade after unzipping the file that was downloaded.  All went through OK - I did not even have to restart the computer or close my antivirus program although this has never been a problem on the last couple of upgrades.  All I had to do was put in the Key that was provided with the e-mail to me as an Advantage member.

My system opened up OK as if it had not closed and a quick check of the reports mentioned above showed they were all the same.  Also it went through an update of the share prices - will check this again tomorrow.

The only problem it had was that I could not open the Inventory from the menu bar - I was advised it was not installed even though I had not uninstalled it.  I was advised it would be available from the CD.  As I had ordered one we will see.  Why it can't be added to the other two programs we were asked to download I am not sure.

Anyway - so far so good.  Watch this space.
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

prices Upload went OK
Photo of Steven

Steven

yep  just done an update and today's prices have come in.
Photo of Richard

Richard

My update also happened.  I had been hoping that with their new provider that Index updates would also occur, but this was not to be.  When these stopped in 2002 I was told this "will be fixed soon".  Well, it looks like we will wait a  little longer!

Does anyone know if we are still limited to five days of prices?
Photo of Bruce Carnwell

Bruce Carnwell

I have been attempting to update prices each day using the old (H&B 2013) version & it has continued to work ok.  Just did an update while reading these comments and it has downloaded for the 11Aug14. I think I will wait for my email before attempting to download the 'new' version & installing ... :)
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Bruce don't wait for them. You will go grey. Go to their website, sign in using your cust id and cust pin, download your copy and keep using your software which seems to be exactly as it was prior to all this unnecessary disruption to our peaceful lives.
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

Here's the wording of the email which arrived today 11/8/14 at 16:05 From: Reckon <donotreply@reckon.com.au> (I am Personal Plus annual licence customer; they still put KeyCode and password, sorry PIN, in plain text email)...

=================
Hi xxx,

The new Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015 is NOW AVAILABLE. Upgrade to the latest version and continue to benefit from advanced personal financial management, including tools to help track your savings and expenses, and maximise your share investment opportunities.

Upgrade for free
As a Reckon Accounts Personal Plus annual licence customer, you are entitled to all software upgrades for the remaining time of your licence at no extra cost. Your copy of the latest version can be downloaded from the members area of the Reckon website, or you may also request a DVD for installation.
email_button_upgradenow <hyperlink>

Here are your login details: 
Customer ID: xxx
PIN: xxx
Installation Key Code (IKC): xxx

What's new?
Here is an overview of the updates in Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015:
1 Tax line items have been updated to comply with the ATO Tax Pack released in July 2014, including the personal income thresholds for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 financial years. This is used to estimate the taxes payable at the end of each financial year.
2 Updated Capital Gains calculations and Medicare Levy. The Medicare Levy has increased from 1.5% to 2%. 
3 HUBB Investor has been updated. It gives you access to data and charts on 12 markets including the ASX, US, UK and NZ.
4 Enhanced Reckon Elite Rental Professional, including simpler ways to enter data and print.
5 Stock price download functionality has been moved to a new service platform; receive real-time stock price quotes for your security portfolio via a new in-product domain. 

Visit our Reckon Accounts Personal <hyperlink> range resource hub for important information to get you started, including the Installation and Upgrade Guide <hyperlink>.

For further questions visit Reckon Community <hyperlink>, or contact our Customer Service team on 1800 732 566 or Technical Support on 1902 223 101.*
*Call cost is $4.90 per minute (incl. GST)

Kind regards,
Pete Sanders <scrawl>
Pete Sanders
Managing Director - Business Group
=================
(Edited)
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

OK - too good to be true - all went OK as you can see by my earlier post 6 hours ago.  However, it now seems I can't get past the updated prices past the 8th August.  My attempts to have the download work as normal after each log on, or by checking the upload button, results in a spinning yellow circle and no change to the prices.  So the prices for 11 August are not coming through. To move on I have to cancel the update.  Any suggestions?
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

I am still on Personal Plus 2013 - share price updates for ASX still worked last night 11/8/14. US price update for Aug 11 going through the motions ok, but few have come through yet [too early - 07:26am on 12/8/14], one that has is Russell 2000 index.

A few years back I had the spinning yellow circle. Never really sorted it out directly. Found that what worked for me was Investing | Online Activities | Download Historical Prices | Update Now,immediately followed by Investing | Online Activities | Download Quotes, and I've been doing it this way since; yes, every night. IIRC I also had to tinker with (to turn some off) Watch settings in Investing | Security List; based on scrutiny of "results" info in One Step Summary Update. Oh and I turned off automatic update of exchange rates (I only need AUD-USD, and enter that one manually from time to time, in Tools | Currency List, using RBA official rates which the ATO has to like at least as much as the ones that Quicken knows about).
Photo of Betty Clarke-Wood

Betty Clarke-Wood

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I received the email yesterday with the upgrade offer at no cost as I am still subscribed.  I backed up each file and validated it.  I was asked to uninstall 2013.  The new installation went seamlessly and the updates of the share prices worked perfectly last night!  My only problem is the the Reckon Essentials Home Inventory won't work.  I have requested a CD.  The last time I had to download the HE from the disc so will see what happens when that arrives.
Photo of Maerwen Taylor

Maerwen Taylor

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just checked the Security detail view and the 11/08 prices are there ,thought they weren't last night.I checked before ringing Reckon as I really don't have the patient for a 30 min wait to speak to Customer service
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Narky One,

I am interested in your use of exchange rates. Can you plot exchange rate history, or is it's use limited to converting foreign currency share prices ?

I've been downloading foreign currency rates for years and not known their use.

Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Distributions paid as shares.  I have established an account that has four separate managed funds.  At 30 June 2014 three of the funds delivered a distribution which was reinvested in the form of shares added to my account.  I have tried the various options provided to record this distribution but none end up with the correct number of units held after the distribution or a cash balance that reduces the value of the portfolio so that it does not compute to that shown by the Funds paperwork.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?  Based on past experience I am not sure that I will get a reasoned or adequate response from the help line.
Photo of Margaret Norris

Margaret Norris

Norwen,

You are correct - don't expect any sensible assistance from the help line.  Such transactions are outside the understanding of the support personnel whose primary function is to handle the software technical inquiries.  I have found that the only way that I can be sure of getting the appropriate number of units is to not rely on any inbuilt programming calculations and manually adjust the total shares then check the totals against the fund documentation.

I also have many managed funds in my portfolio and have been doing this for many years.  (~14 years a licensed user).

Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Thanks Margaret - how do you go about recording the distribution as a transaction so it is listed as a dividend payment?
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

While I have been using Quicken Personal Plus to record my shares and other investments for more years than I care to recall (probably after MS Money folded, it is really only to provide an overall picture of our finances as we do our day to day management of our accounts and payments using Quicken.  However, I have been using Stockmarket Plus now for some time to provide a more accurate record of the share transactions.  It has no problem recoding the reinvestment of dividends and provides an accurate record of managed fund holdings.  However, while  it is not as good at the day to day management of accounts and it would mean doubling up on the entry into the cash accounts of the share holdings and related bank accounts, it certainly provides a much more accurate record of dividends and other transactions.  I gave up on trying to use the information on this provided by Quicken some time ago.  Seems there is nothing out there that provides a more accurate representation of daily financial activity in conjunction with investing activity.  Happy to look at it if there are any suggestions.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Norwen,

Could you consider it as a dividend reinvestment. Given the number of units added, give them a cash value and reinvest this equivalent cash as the number of additional units. I think you can reinvest either trust distributions or handle as unfranked dividend. There should be enough scope in the income alternatives to cover this, to document it's tax status.

I think you have suggested there are 3 types of units, so 3 "companies". To group them, you could classify them as an account for this trust.

Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Thanks John - I guess that would work OK - it is what I do with the monthly adviser fee that comes from one of the four accounts.  Yes I have created a separate account for the fund holdings with each one identified  as a separate holding in the same way as each of  shares in SMSF are held.
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Unfortunately  that did not work - I tried a couple of options including opening a new cash account to put the dividends into then used that account to purchase the shares allocated via the dividend reinvestment.  I had used the Fund/Trust Distribution option in the Record and Income Amount put in the amount and sent it to the newly opened cash account.  However, this did not seem to work and the value of the Account almost doubled. although the cash account went back to Zero.
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

OK Finally got it sorted - it helps if you get the numbers right - set up a couple of categories for the Advisers fees and made the dividends a Miscellaneous Credit and Allocated a Category to it CFS Distributions and did this all through the Special CFS Cash account.  Share numbers now look OK and the Cash balance is back to Zero.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

I am surprised by your comments. I'd recommend you look at the reinvest dividend option, as it automatically adjusts the share price, given the total cash received and number of shares. The income can be a trust distribution.
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Thanks John - maybe I got the numbers wrong on that process - I will try it that way next time - however, all the numbers add up at the moment.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Bugs in share price volume data

I have been importing prices using the .csv file long format that includes volume/100 and have found some problems relating to the magnitude of volume.

It appears that volume is stored in the database as a 4 byte (32 bit) integer, which limits the volume stored in the database to 2 billion ( 2^31).

For the .csv file import, the test of a valid volume input appears to have been implemented wrongly as;

As the volume limit in the database is 2,000,000,000, this implies that volume /100 in the .csv file should be limited to 20,000,000. Unfortunately, rather than applying the limit test of 20,000,000 to volume_input, this limit test has been applied to volume_input * 100, which as a consequence limits volume_input to only 200,000, which is what is happening. There are many times when share daily volumes exceed 20,000,000, especially Telstra and GPT.

Could this bug be fixed ?

Another consequence of 4 byte integers, is that the Security Detail View accumulates the volume information in 4-byte integers. For 2-year and 5-year displays, weekly volumes are accumulated, which can exceed 2 billion, especially for the NASDAQ. This could be easily overcome if the volume accumulated for Security Detail Views is stored as a 4-byte real or an 8-byte integer.

It is annoying that these bugs have persisted for so long, especially given how long the NASDAQ historical index has been included in the share price downloads.

(Edited)
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

Responding to John Campbell who asked a couple of days ago: "I am interested in your use of exchange rates. Can you plot exchange rate history, or is it's use limited to converting foreign currency share prices ?".

I have USD accounts at US institutions, as well as the normal Australian AUD ones. For financial management and tax reporting of USD accounts and transactions (in AUD), whether shares or income or spending,  I need Personal Plus to know the daily USD-AUD forex rate. I don't bother with forex rates for any other currency. Note that I do NOT rely on PP's source for rates [ages ago I monitored them for a while and could not match them to any other source I knew about]; since I only need the USD one, I look it up (RBA) and enter it manually each day.
I wouldn't dream of having PP attempt to do anything more sophisticated, there are much better historical data sources and tools.

As ever, there are "special features" to watch out for in this part of PP. One that springs to mind is that, unexpectedly, a balance sheet type report (Net Worth, Account Balances) for a past date [eg 30 June] uses the most recent forex rate that has been entered rather than the one for that past date [or if none, the closest one before] - particularly comes to mind because it is SO illogical that I very often forget it and so get caught out and waste time and energy trying to make sense of the report. At least this "feature" is not of the data corruption type, so one does not get [quite] so angry when they avoid fixing it for decades. It must be around 10 years ago that I gave up trying to report serious PP (Quacken) bugs - there simply is no mechanism to do that properly; the last conversation I recall, which was byphone, ended with their rep saying numerous times "our software does not have bugs" even though I was saying I could show them [**ie prove**] a VERY serious one at any time on any new or old Quacken file.

And despite this I still pay up and use PP. 

Does anyone know of any product that is better than PP for personal use, with sophisticated features but with bug fixes, and actual progressive updates over time?
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Narky One,

Your description of the problem of net worth for past dates suggests to me that QPP does not store exchange rate history, but only keeps the latest estimate. I have asked if anyone knows how to chart exchange rate history in QPP but no response, which again suggests that this is not stored.

It appears that one of the main problems for Reckon to acknowledge and fix bugs, is their capability to do so. Past patches have been very slow, sometimes taking years to be corrected, such as problems recording multiple types of revenue in a share income event, or identifying the company name associated with a share income event.

I've been reporting the volume problem I discussed above for many years and as we have seen from this download fiasco, there is little acknowledgement of a problem.

Does Reckon have access to the Personal Plus source code ? It's about the only sensible reason available as you would think that no company would treat it's existing customers like this for any other reason.

Let's wait and see.

For data security, a spreadsheet is looking to be a safe bet !!

Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

Reckon were only an Australian reseller of Quicken from Intuit from the USA. Any software changes bug fixes etc had to be performed by USA developers. Au were a very poor cousin. Reckon has now purchased the source code from Intuit and will I believe do their own software development in the future. If this is true, then perhaps there is a chance our problems will be dealt with properly in the future.
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

JC, QPP does store xrates, and you can "extract" the history [one currency pair at a time]: Tools | Currency List | select a currency | Historical Rates | Print | Export to <tab-delimited txt file>, then open in spreadsheet. 
Alternative is to grab RBAs' rates http://goo.gl/gD0KkS.
The problem of net worth for past dates in part stems from the fact that the latest rate entered (at least in the manually enter case) is stored both against the date it was entered for and in some other internal place that I might term as "current" and it is this "current" one that gets used for net worth.

MR, Yes, 'Reckon were only an Australian reseller' AND they were only getting paid by us!
Reckon would always "customize" the USA product for Australia. The Australian version was typically two years behind the USA one. Sure, it might have been the USA that would make bug fixes (**assuming** the customizing in Australia was not the cause) but if Reckon wouldn't take on board bugs AND report them back to the USA, how would those bugs get fixed? Perhaps AU were a poor cousin because Reckon was not going in to bat for us?
Now Reckon has had two years or so and the 2015 "update" has nothing that I would call a new or enhanced feature or bug fix. So on what basis are we to think Reckon is gonna actually give us something fresh? And when? AFAIK they have been silent on what new goodies they are "working on".
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Based on past performance on the latest debacle they are probably not game to make any announcements on future fixes even if they do have something in mind.  Now they have the source code it is to be hoped that they start looking after their loyal Australian customer base - they are probably lucky that there is really nothing out there on the Personal Finance front that can compete - however, if there is I am prepared to check it out.
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

PS - I trust the CEO of Reckon is keeping an eye on these discussions!!  Maybe he would like to make some comments himself to let us know what they have in mind.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Based on the follow-up, it appears that the advice to Pete Sanders has been to not give this discussion any oxygen.

However this lack of engagement of long standing customers reeks of arrogance and disinterest.

I am certainly concerned about the future security of my personal finance information, as I wonder how much longer QPP will be a viable product.

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi John and Norwen, I am currently seeking further information from the Personal Range Product Manager. As soon as I obtain further information I will get back to you. Cheers, ^Mirko
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Thanks Mirko
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Mirko,

Thanks for the follow up, but given the discussions over the past fortnight, it should not be left to you to provide advice on Reckon's future plans for RPP.

Intuit/Reckon's whole business has been built on the success of Quicken Personal in 80's and 90's. If they are moving on to other markets, I'd like to know from the CEO. Should we attend the annual user conference on 21st August and make our presence known ?

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi All, thanks for your patience. An overview of changes and new features in Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Home & Business is provided below.

Tax line items and personal income threshold
In Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Home & Business releases we include tax features which allow the customer to estimate their taxable income for a particular financial year.

Tax line items have been updated for the 2014/15 financial year to conform with the ATO Tax Pack released in July 2014. Income tracking, tax related expenses as well as Income Tax Summary report have been updated to reflect the changes.

Reckon Accounts has been updated with the personal income thresholds for the 2013/2014 and 2014/15 financial years. The personal income thresholds are used to estimate the taxes payable at the end of each financial year.

Capital Gains Calculations and Medicare Levy
The Capital Gains Calculations and Medicare Levy have been updated according to the changes of the 2014 Federal Budget. The Medicare Levy has been increased from 1.5 to 2.0 %.

HUBB Investor
An updated version of this software is now available with Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Home & Business 2015. The HUBB Investor is a powerful investor tool, giving you access to data, charts and indicators on twelve markets, including the ASX, US, UK and NZ, including daily market updates and company health checks.

Reckon Elite Rental Professional
An updated version of Elite Rental Professional has been included in this release. Some of the main ways this application has been updated are as follows:
•             Updated Taxes and Duties;
•             Updated Medicare levy surcharge calculation;
•             Updated help file content in line with changes to the application;
•             Enhanced printing of Add Back Non-Cash Items in the Profit & Loss (1st Year – Full year) preview;
•             Enhanced lowercase entry of unlock codes;
•             Enhanced data entry inputs and use of backspace in a number of fields on the Options screen;
•             Enhanced Check for Update feature. It  will now include auto update of the Tax rates file;
•             Modified update process so that when a future software update is downloaded, the user is prompted to install the updates after restarting Rental.

First Home Savers Account Calculators
The First Home Savers Account has now been abolished. As a result the ASIC, First Home Saver Account Calculator has been removed and is no longer found under Planning > Financial Calculators.

Stock Price Quotes Download
The Download Quotes functionality in the Investing Centre which provides  stock price quotes for your security portfolio has been enhanced and moved to a new technology platform. Users who upgrade to Reckon Accounts Personal Plus or Home & Business 2015 will continue to receive the share price downloads.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Given the focus on share price downloads, what does "enhanced" mean ?

I am sure there are many using this forum who would want to know !

The cynicism in many of our posts would indicate we suspect it is very little.

I hope in this is a new era of Reckon Australia it means something !

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey John, there is no intention to move away from the Personal Range as a part of the overall diverse business that Reckon has become since the 80’s and 90’s.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Mirko,

Thanks for that indication. I appreciate the advice you have been able to provide.

This thread has had a lot to say about share price updates. There have been many questions from many users of RPP about the share price features, indicating a hope that some enhancements would take place. 

It would be of interest to us all to get more detail than "enhanced".

Certainly increasing the 7-day price storage limit on the new technology platform would be a big help to many users and I previously provided a longer list of minor enhancements, which attracted fewer comments.

Hopefully, Reckon has taken some notes and further advice will be forthcoming.

Photo of Narky One

Narky One

Mirko said "Hi All, thanks for your patience. An overview of changes and new features in Reckon Accounts Personal Plus and Home & Business is provided below.". There followed a list of the changes apparently made in the already released PP 2015.

With one exception that is the same list that I posted earlier above, as part of the email Reckon sent me advising of the release of PP 2015. The exception is that Mirko's list includes the additional item of removal of First Home Savers Account Calculators (however, such removal seems a bit premature given that some people might have wanted to use it for retrospective calcs).

Pardon me if I seem a bit underwhelmed. What I am seeking, and I think others too, is information about what we can expect in future - what and when - not already completed things. Hopefully such information would include some substantive improvements and bug fixes that at least some users will find worthwhile; considerably more meaty than this list of six items, of the changes between PP 2013 and PP 2015 - a minuscule achievement for such a long time. Isn't there a marketing team who can just issue this information about the future?

I couldn't find Accounts Personal on your website only Personal Plus. Has Personal been discontinued?

When if ever will we see an on-line facility for reporting and viewing bugs and enhancement requests? It would include items generated by Reckon themselves as well as ones submitted by us users. The facility would include Reckon's prompt assessment, disposition, plans and history for each item so reported. Surely Reckon management reckonizes that such a facility is imperative in order for Reckon to truly know what they ought to be focussing on, and to have some chance of hanging on to market share?

Photo of Norwen

Norwen

I wholeheartedly agree - for some years now I have been trying to get a response from the support system funded by my annual Advantage fee - the only thing I can see from my money each year is the annual update - there has been little if any responses to any questions I have raised when I have had problems with some of the options provided, especially when managing my SMSF and the transactions related to items like share buy backs, and other similar events unique to OZ that happen from time to time.  Unfortunately I have cleaned out the many e-mails I have sent on these matters so I do not have the information  to back up my concerns.  However, one I did complain about many times was the availability of only four or five days back data when away form my home computer for extended periods.  It takes some time to download the back information from Stockmarket Plus (SM+) and they input the missing data into Quicken.  Also the strange numbers that appear when printing out information on dividends when going to the accountant - At least the SM+ printout can be related to the dividend statements and franking credit detail.

On the current issue with downloads since the change - the yellow circle keeps spinning after log on and clicking on the update button.  I have to cancel it and then download the updates via the Download Quotes option that appears under the Investing Menu Tab.  I recall that this was a problem on a previous update and was subsequently fixed.

Finally I must say I appreciate the input from members on this forum and am glad I found it.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Well unlike Reckon, I have been looking into the problems with share price downloads and found work-arounds for some of the problems I have been identifying for years.

By obtaining a dump of all price records in the .QPH file, I have been able to compare these price records with those from an alternative ASX historical data source. My analysis then writes a .csv file that contains all edits and omissions since 1-Jan-2009 and use the RPP .csv file import facility to apply the corrections. I have now removed all gaps in my records since 2009.

Unfortunately any volume greater than 20,000,000 shares doesn't get imported, so I am presently writing code to directly correct the price records in the .QPH file. By changing the values for Volume and possibly prices in existing records, I am not changing the file structure. I am applying this correction to all prices and codes since 2009. I should have this completed in the next day or so.  Oh and yes the volume is only a 4-byte integer, while prices are split over 2 4-byte integers, separated for dollars and giving cents accurate to 10^-6. 2-year and 5-year charts fail due to this.

This exercise has thrown up some interesting historical problems with the .QPH file. At the QPP update that I installed on 12th November 2004, it appears that all company and price records were duplicated. I think this was about the time when company codes were changed to include the country code, which has since been done differently, as the share price downloads continue to work.

In my .QPH file of some 183 company records and 280,000 price records, there are about 60,000 duplicate price records prior to 12/11/2004. I don't know if Reckon are aware of this. Since 2004, they certainly have never bothered to correct this duplication. I don't know what would happen if I changed any data prior to November 2004, as I'm sure you could not correct both records. Clearly Intuit/Reckon have not bothered to correct this problem in 10 years.

There is a lot of junk lying around in the price records, which validate and "super validate" have never corrected. A more pro-active company might have provided a better service.  I suppose I am expected to use a 1900 support service to pay for this advice.

I only hope that some time in the future, Reckon might improve their service, now they have access to the QPP source code.

Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

Hey everyone, I am told that Personal Plus 2013 is still updating prices as it was before this complete shamble was launched upon us, and most of us updated to 2015 as a consequence, for NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! comparable gain or difference. Come on some organization that will produce Reckon like reports and updates of prices. Sharesight falls short as does a link to Xero
Photo of Suzanne Harvey

Suzanne Harvey

• 440 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Seriously why have you sent some people an email and not me??????????

At least my program has been doing updates until last Thursday.  Hasn't updated Friday 29-8-14 or today Monday 1-9-14.

What is the fix and when is it happening???????????

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi Suzanne, emails were sent to all customers who have provided their email address and not unsubscribed from our mail-outs. Please give customer service a call on 1800 RECKON to look into your options and obtain the upgrade. Thanks, Mirko
Photo of Suzanne Harvey

Suzanne Harvey

• 440 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Hi, I never received an email unfortunately and mine only stopped last week as I said, or they would have heard from me earlier....

I emailed them, they sent me a new link to download the new version and a new unlock code, now its all back up and running SO FAR without a problem.  Not sure what the major problem is as to why people just don't contact them and ask for the downloads.  My renewal is due next month, so I have it a few weeks early. 

My email is on file or they could have posted the notice anyway. 

They always know how to contact me when the renewal is due.  They never miss that one.

Photo of gmhutch

gmhutch

• 308 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Good luck getting Reckon 2015 to work, Many phone calls and re-installing have been to no avail. Told to put problem on customer conversations in hope some one might know answer to problems!!! Wonder if Reckon want to continue with this program, or just hope all customers will go away!!!. Fair Trading might be able to help. Frustrated and Disappointed.

Photo of Margaret Norris

Margaret Norris

Without any indication of what your problems are, it is impossible to provide answers!! 
Photo of gmhutch

gmhutch

Thanks for your interest. I am running Windows 7. Have been using Reckon Personal plus for many years without problem. Recently updated to 2015, and have not been able to use the Investment value section since. None of Reckon's suggestions , for the various error messages made any difference .

Now when I try to enter the program  it wants the Installation Key, When I put in Key, It comes up with the message " Unable to store required information". The Reckon Logo has also reverted to the window default logo. Have already reinstalled program from download about 10 times, (deleting existing version each time) and quite fed up. Are there any other programs similar to Personal Plus? At age 77 my patience is getting very thin!!

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

This appears to be an access rights problem with the install. If you can't store the key, then RPP can not write the security file. Either you do not have rights in that area to create the file, or the directory could not be created. You should run the install program as administrator. Right click the downloaded install file and select "run as administrator". This might fix the problem.

I am also surprised by all the reported problems people are having with RPP 2015, especially the cases where the .qph file is being emptied. Have Reckon fixed these problems or not ?

Photo of gmhutch

gmhutch

Many thanks for your comment. I have just deleted the existing program and reinstalled under administration. Back again with answer "Online setup information is missing. Please try reinstalling the application to resolve the issue." Computer is working online with other programs so must be ok. Am I wasting my time? HElp

Photo of Keith

Keith

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have copied below a post I put on Quicken USA (Intuit) website as my Reckon HAB took me there when I had a question.  The people there redirected me to the Reckon web.  I hope this helps some of you who struggled to make sense of what Reckon has done to the share download....:

"After much reading on https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/how_to_manually_update_share_prices_in_personal_plus_hab?topic-reply-list[settings][page]=2#topic-reply-list     for the last 24hrs (for goodness sake, they suggested manually putting in the share/stock prices!!) and many dead end links asking me to pay for upgrades I finally find this URL: http://members.reckon.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fSubscription%2fDefault.aspx which is a "members" login (member = current subscriber with ID and PIN)  which tells me I am eligible for a "free" upgrade (even though I'm already subscribed well into next year) which I am downloading now.  Hope these links are helpful to anyone who struggled like me (even though it's on an Intuit site and not a Reckon site).  Thanks to all for their help"
Photo of Peter Cope

Peter Cope

• 60 Points

This share download fiasco, combined with not honouring licence agreements is not acceptable.

This behaviour from an ASX listed company will be reported.

(Edited)
Photo of Property Mogul

Property Mogul

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
LOL good luck w/ that one. You think their legal team hasn't put some clause somewhere which takes away their risk? Most software provides have standard clause that certain products can cease at any time.

And here we have it, standard clause of limitation:

Products and services
Use of any of the products are governed by the relevant terms and conditions for the product or service.
Except as required by the Australian Consumer Law, Reckon provides the products to you on an as is basis and without any representations by Reckon or any of its authorised distributors regarding the use, performance or results of the use, of the products.
Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

If you cannot find a compatible Reckon software program, Bail and use someone else. Reckon will never come to your aid!
Photo of gmhutch

gmhutch

What is a similar program?

Photo of Malcolm Raward

Malcolm Raward

Thia debate has been going on since mid August or earlier. Go back an read all the comments. But you will find there is no alternative for the time being. As soon as someone comes up with an alternative, we will all migrate to it.
Photo of Maureen

Maureen

• 60 Points
Sharesight is a better alternative full stop. I switched a month ago. Their program reads your broker contract notes so your entities are updated automatically and they have price and dividend history for back-dating. They run all the performance and tax calcs too.  They have a guest access feature - I shared access with my accountant. I think you can buy Xero Cashbook from Sharesight too as mentioned in the other Reckon thread if you’re keen to do the accounting bit yourself.
Photo of gmhutch

gmhutch

Thanks for you comment. I am seriously looking into this solution.

Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Issues with current one step update process - for the record this does not complete when one logs on and  clicks on Update Now.  The only way to actually have this complete is to go to the Investing Menu then go to Online Activities and click on Download Quotes - the update process will then complete.  Is the support team aware of this and do they plan to fix the problem?
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

I tried this but it did not work. I emailed the support team (hesitantly as they want to charge for everything... money hungry instead of customer satisfaction hungry) and they said it had been referred to their IT department and they will let their customers know the outcome in good time. THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED THEIR SPOTS.
Photo of Norwen

Norwen

Hi Leif - normally works OK for me - I normally check that the prices have downloaded by going to the Account where I have all my shares recorded in the Overview window - click on the link to one of the stocks - click on update then Edit Price History and the latest number should be there - however, I have noted that the last price listed at the moment is for Thur 20 Nov 2014.  Will try again in a day or so. However, I agree - as a Reckon Advantage Member I have just received my account for $249 for my membership - I must confess some serious soul searching will be required before I sign up again!!  I hope the support team is monitoring this exchange!! Norm
Photo of VikingOz

VikingOz

Norm... This is just a continuation of the last debacle. Reckon do not care. We should not have to compromise and do work-a-rounds just to do what we already pay very dearly for... way over-priced product. Leif

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.