Why Am I getting "different version" error?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
When attempting to open company file of QB Premier 2010/11 with Reckon Accounts 2014, I receive the message "Cannot open data file because it was created in a different version". Can I update the data file to work with Reckon Accounts 2014? 
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Lauren Roe

Lauren Roe, Accredited Partner

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Hi Jeff

What version of Reckon Accounts 2014 are you using?

Your company file can only be opened in the same version of Reckon Accounts (Premier) or higher (Enterprise). It cannot be downgraded from Premier (eg Plus or Pro).

I hope this helps.

Lauren

Photo of Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the reply and information. The version is Reckon Accounts Accounting Small Business Edition 2014.
Photo of Lauren Roe

Lauren Roe, Accredited Partner

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Hi Jeff

Unfortunately you cannot open a company file from the Premier edition with the Accounting edition as this is classed as downgrading.

You will either have to purchase Reckon Accounts Premier 2014 or start a new company file in the Accounting edition.

Kind Regards

Lauren

Photo of Jeff

Jeff

Thanks Lauren for the advice.
Photo of Tahnee

Tahnee

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
quickbooks 2012/13 wont let me restore my backup.

My old computer crashed so I had to get a new one. I have installed QuickBooks EasyStart Lite 2012/13 onto the new one. My Problem is it will not allow me to restore my backup. Exact wording is - (QuickBooks cannot open this data file because it was created in a different edition. You can only open QuickBooks EasyStart data files within this edition). I do not understand as it is all the same! Please Help!

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Tahnee, If you had updated you QB12/13 to R2 or R3 (tax updates) you would also be receiving this error, as files cannot be downgraded or backwards compatible!

Photo of Tahnee

Tahnee

It must have updated automatically because I do not remember doing it. And not really sure what R2 or R3 is. What should I do?. Do I need to upgrade and if I do so will I be able to restore my backups off my USB?

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Tahnee, I've spoken to tech support team and they've advised this error indicates that this file has been opened in a higher version or year (ie. Pro or Plus of 12/13 or Accounts Business Easy Start 2013 etc...).

If a file is upgraded by year or occurs it cannot be downgraded. So even if openned else where on a higher or newer version (including trials), the file cannot be used in the older edition.

Did you install the latest version of QB/RA that you have?

If you email me your customer ID to community@reckon.com I can have someone look into which versions you've previously had.
Photo of Tahnee

Tahnee

Hi Mirko I emailed my customer ID to you but am still waiting on a reply. If you could get back to ASAP it would be greatly appreciated as I have no access to quickbooks and we need to get it sorted to do our TAX.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Tahnee, I haven't received any emails from yourself (or any which have not been responded too). Can you please try sending the email again and add ATT: Mirko from Tahnee to the subject line, so it is easily visible. - Mirko
Photo of Tahnee

Tahnee

Thanks Mirko I have just emailed you.