I cannot start Personal Plus 2015 as I always get a meesage that Reckon Accounts Launcher has stoppe

Joe Banek
Joe Banek Member Posts: 3
I cannot start Personal Plus 2015 as I always get a meesage that Reckon Acounts Launcher has stopped working. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the programme several times and it works sometimes for a short period then drops off. My O/S is Windows Business Vista. How can I get Reckon to work normally like any other application?

Comments

• TamNguyen
    TamNguyen Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2015
    Maybe vista is not supported, trying to upgrade your O/S may solved it.
  • Joe Banek
    Joe Banek Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2015
    I am using Windows Business Vista and when I try to open up the Quicken Personal Plus 2015 programme I get the same message " Reckon Accounts Launcher has stopped working" 
    If I start the computer in safe mode I can open up the programme and access my data. If I use various selective start ups I cannot open up the programme. A week ago my computer worked fine. I cannot restore my settings to a week ago so what do I do? I've reinstalled Quicken several times and this does not work. There is a defect in the software that seems to clash with the operating system in some circumstances. It's a pity Reckon don't have a simple solution.
  • TamNguyen
    TamNguyen Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2015
    Have you tried to reboot your computer to its factory settings after back  up all important information? Then reinstall the software?
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited January 2020
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for asking the Reckon Community.

It may because your PC has some outdated DLLs tht the program depends on.

checkou the guide at:  Quicken launcher Error 1601, 1602, 1603: The application failed to initialise properly or The application has failed to start 

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John
  • Graham Crooks
    Graham Crooks Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Not sure about this just upgraded to windows 10 so the OS should all be up to date including the DLLs.  For my system a restart usually cures the problem but I don't know what will happen if that fails.  Do I need to totally reinstall Quicken?

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Graham,

Welcome.

On Windows 10 configure your launch icon to Run As Administrator - right-click icon > Properties > Compatibility > Settings.

The 2016 version of Reckon Accounts Personal will be compatible with Windows 10 and this adjustment won't be necessary.

If you  have other issues see our guide: Quicken launcher errors at start up and what to do about them.

Hope this gives you a better result.

regards,
    John

• Geoffrey
    Geoffrey Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2020
  • Geoffrey
    Geoffrey Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2015
    The referenced link dates from 2009, and makes no mention of Windows 7. I suspect that the very recent emergence of this issue may relate to something a bit more current!
  • Craig C_8009538
    Craig C_8009538 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2018
    Hi all, This issue continues to be a problem. I have the latest Windows 10 updates and I have just installed Personal Plus 2016. The Launcher still fails around 50% of the times I try. The situation became substantially worse when I attached a second monitor to my ASUS laptop. Don't understand the linkage between the monitor and the launcher, but that was the effect. Reckon, you really need to address this issue. I have been struggling with this issue for over 3 months  now.
  • Craig C_8009538
    edited March 2016
    Hi all,

I followed another stream of inquiry which suggested I should rename my data file such that the data file name length was 8 characters or less. I used the "file copy" function as the "file rename" function would not work. (A "launcher failed" error occurred when I tried to rename the file). Since renaming my data file, I no longer encounter the "account launcher has stopped working" error.

Maybe a clue as to what is causing the launcher to fail?
  • Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited January 2018
    Hi Craig C,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

I'm sorry you continue to experience this problem as Reckon Accounts Personal 2016 is configured to operate in the Windows 10 environment.

The 8 character file name issue is a strange one as most users operate successfully with longer names.  However, once an event is encountered and the file name length becomes an issue, then problems persist until the file name is shortened.

You mentioned other functions not performing as they should which suggests a loss of integrity in the installation.  That attaching a second monitor made performance worse suggests there may be a conflict with that item, or some other programme on your PC.

The next steps would be to clean uninstall (guide available here) Reckon Accounts Personal and reinstall in Safe Mode (a guide to turn it on is available here) and with the special installer ISsetup.exe found in the folder DVD:\HAB\Disk1.  

Does Reckon Accounts Personal operate properly in Safe Mode?  If yes, switch your computer to Normal mode.  Does Reckon Accounts Personal operate properly?

If not, then you have a conflict with another programme on your PC.  Return to Safe Mode and launch Reckon Accounts Personal.  Now turn on each programme one by one until you locate the programme that causes Reckon Accounts Personal to stop working.  

regards,
    John
  • Craig C_8009538
    edited March 2016
    Hi John,
    Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
    Since renaming my data file I have have had a 100% success rate in launching the app. So a happy user once more..

A couple of items if i may on your permanent fix though.
    • The "Clean uninstall" doesn't refer to Windows 10. Should I just follow the Windows 8 procedure?
    • The procedure you have offered seems to assume the user has the install  DVD. I downloaded the app from the web. So no DVD. I gather I need to order the DVD before attempting the permanent fix?
    Best regards,
  • John G
    edited January 2018
    Hi Craig,

Glad to hear there is nothing else lurking with your switch to Windows 10.

Yes, follow the Windows 8 guide - but some of the paths may be different in Windows 10.  I'll nudge the tech guys here to update it.  The object here is to remove all traces of the programme - its installation files, supporting files and folders, and registry entries. 

If you downloaded the programme, then check your C:\Temp folder - the DVD contents would have been unzipped here.  If it has already been deleted then download the trial version again, and if it is an older version, go to the members site on www.reckon.com.(Login>Members)

regards,
    John

• Craig C_8009538
    edited March 2016
    Hi John,

Thanks once more.
    ISsetup.exe file found in the TEMP\ReckonAccountsPersonal2016\HAB\DISK1 folder where you had indicated.

I also had elements of my 2015 install of ReckonAccountsPersonal2015 in my TEMP folder. Any chance these items (HAB, Reckon Rental, sanitize, Tools) could have contributed to the underlying issue?

Regards,
    Craig
  • John G
    edited January 2018
    Hi Craig,

That is always a possibility.  Our "clean un-install" guide does recommend that all files associated with previous installations be removed, including any installation files in the C:\Temp folder.

The installation process first checks whether necessary files for the installation and the programme already exist on the computer.  If they do, they are not loaded from the install cabinet file.  If the existing copy is corrupt, it is not replaced and the problems it causes will be witnessed in the fresh installation.

regards,
    John
  • Craig C_8009538
    edited March 2016
    Thanks John.

Your "Clean un-install" guide stops at Windows 7 /XP. Can you give your Tech guys another nudge?

I did use the Windows Uninstall program as the 2016 Personal Plus download/install app aborted when it found the 2015 Personal Plus program still installed (not a great user experience), but I can only assume that the TEMP folder is not part of the Windows un-install process.

Never the less, I know what to look for in future.
    After 10+ years of use, I may yet get to understand how this all works!

Best regards,
    Craig
  • Craig C_8009538
    edited March 2016
    PS.. I would consider my particular issued closed/resolved.