I have just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 that doesn't have a disc drive.

Astro
Astro Member Posts: 19
I have just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 that doesn't have a disc drive. I have been using Accounts Home & Business 2015 on my old laptop though an Annual Licence, with backups to my Dropbox. Can I download the latest version from somewhere to my new laptop then restore from the Dropbox? Does the latest version still do daily updates of stock/share prices?

Comments

• Robert Hennig
    Robert Hennig Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2017
    I did this for a customer last month

You didn't say what version but this link may help

http://library.reckon.com.au/library/exe/Reckon_Accounts_2013_R2.exe

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Astro.  You should be able to logon to the members site of Reckon, using your member logon details.  From there you should be able to download the program to you hard drive and restore the backup that you have saved.  You are using the current version of that program, so if daily updates of share prices were still happening, there doesn't seem to be any reason why that will not continue with the current varsion.  John L G
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Robert.   Astro needs the more refent version.  He states:   ".....I have been using Accounts Home & Business 2015 ".   But you are close with your suggestion,  just change the 2013 to 2015.

Gary
  • Astro
    edited February 2016
    Thanks John.  I did log on to the members site of Reckon using my member logon details but couldn't find where to download.  I have been able to find a Trial Version to download so wondered if I would be able to use my existing Install Keycode with that?  As mentioned, I have been using the 2015 version not the latest 2016 version but would happy to update provided the Stock Price Quotes Download still works. Under the "New Features" tab for Home & Business 2016 it says "Stock Price Quotes Download -The Download Quotes functionality in the Investing Centre which provides stock price quotes for your security portfolio has been enhanced and moved to a new technology platform. You will continue to receive the share price downloads if you upgrade to Reckon Accounts Personal range 2015. To get an overview of all the features in Reckon Accounts Personal range, view the range comparison." So I am a bit confused.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Astro.  No wonder you are confused, so am I.  Obviously Reckon has not updated the information that you are reading and have quoted, which is more than weird and somewhat slack in my opinion.  I wasn't even aware that there was a 2016 version of the program as the only information that I saw related to the 2015 version.
    I am at a different level than you so I don't exactly know what happens when you login.  When I do, there is a link at the bottom of the left hand side (of the page which opens after login) to download software and also a link to download installation keys.  Because of your level, you may not see this, but I would have thought you could see it somewhere. 
    If you have downloaded the 2016 Trial version, i very much doubt that your existing installation keys will work.  Instead I would have a look on the home page of your login to see if you can find links, as I have mentioned.  Also, from memory, if you download a trial version, you probably don't need installation keys because you will probably only be allowed to open the program five times before it locks and then you would have to purchase it.  I don't think that I would be installing a trial version at this point in time.  John L G
  • Astro
    edited February 2016
    Thanks again John.  I have stopped the download of the Trial Version.  It turns out I was signing in on the estore instead of the members section where I have now found a link to download Accounts Home & Business 2016 Annual Licence and a new IKC so fingers crossed.

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Call Me on 0408994799 you need the version you own.
  • Astro
    edited February 2016
    Thanks Gary, as mentioned in my original post, I have been using Accounts Home & Business 2015 on my old laptop through an Annual Licence so don't actually own it.  The Licence entitles me to all updates but I hadn't updated to the 2016 version on my old laptop yet.  I am in the process of downloading the 2016 Annual Lic version to my new laptop and let you know how it goes.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Astro

I'm not concerned about annual rental versus outright ownership - not relevant.  it is the system environment and the package versions that is at stake here.

Be careful - issues with Win 10.  And, once you update your DATA to 2016, no turning back.  UNLESS you retain a frozen backup copy whilst it is still in 2015 FORMAT.   

1.  bug with updates to currency
    2.  issue when in WIn 10 and doing updates of various things like share values
          because of WIn 10,  and in conjunction with certain versions.  
    3.  WIn 10 issues (generally)
    4.  Heed the suggestion of keeping a frozen backup of DATA in 2015 format
    5.  BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.

Sorry,, but I'm frustrated that mis-information and LACK of checking system environment aspects, leaves people making decisions that are not reversible, simply because they act before discussing more.  So I write this to try and put a handbrake on your activities tonight

The offer was made.......

I'd advise you to become accustomed to the IT articles that are referred to from:
    http://blog.reckon.com/accredited-partner-interview-advice-for-solving-community-support-queries

There's some serious points mentioned, and this forum example fits right into that.

Gary?
  • Astro
    edited February 2016
    Wow Thanks Gary.  Okay so just to get this straight - my old laptop is running Windows 10 with Accounts Home & Business 2015 (Annual Lic) only issue noticed in Accounts since upgrading to Windows 10 on that laptop is takes twice as long to scan receipts etc. New laptop came with Windows 10, have finished downloading Accounts H&B 2016 from link on Members page but haven't Run it yet!  Even though the link was for  "Reckon Accounts Home and Business 2016 Annual Licenc", the file that has downloaded is called ReckonAccountsPersonal_2016.exe ???
    So if I get what you are saying, I may be better off sticking with the 2015 version which I don't have on the new laptop and therefore need to call you to get it? 
    Thanks again for your responses.  Time for bed now :-)
  • Steve Cook
    Steve Cook Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited February 2016

If you have the Reckon DVD, another option is to buy a USB DVD drive. Around $50 - $60. Just plug it in and use it when needed in a situation such as this.

Many manufacturers make them eg Samsung, LG etc. Look in any computer shop, Harvey Norman, etc

• gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Astro.    

I'm simply saying, that you should stick with the 2015 software that you are familiar with,  and evaluate the state of the 2016 version without jeopardizing your business operations.  Just because you bought a new laptop, should NOT be a reason for changing software.  The purpose of using a computer is more important that the operating system or hardware.   Those last two factors are meant to be researched, in support of the application.   Unfortunately, people do their shopping in reverse, and end up with incompatible solutions. 

Read through the H&B related WIn10 issues before you upgrade from H&B 2015 to H&B 2016.   I've mentioned a few points in earlier post above.

Just get the 2015 version of the program for use on you new laptop.  Be aware that the product was made before the invention of Office 2016 or Win 10, which is why there are compatibility concerns raised here.

Have your local Professional Partner  their 7-character Customer ID to fetch the 'previous version' of Reckon Accounts Home & Business 2015  (575MB) from http://members.reckon.com/ProfessionalPartners/Support/downloads.aspx#PreviousOther

which should allow the fetching of:   (those  "%20" represent a "space" character)

http://downloads.reckon.com.au/Reckon%20Accounts%20Personal%202015.exe

Then use the same Customer ID to migrate the licence from your old laptop to the new one.

Gary
  • Astro
    edited February 2016
    Hi again Gary and thanks for your time.  I've been reading up a bit, as suggested, and it sounds like the H&B 2016 release is "focused on Windows 10 compatibility" so one would think it would have a better chance of being compatible with my new Windows 10 Laptop than the 2015(pre Win10) release.

So here's what I was thinking and perhaps you could tell me if it's worth a try?:
    1. Leave Old Laptop as it is with Win10 and H&B 2015 which is working okay and I do regular backups to my Dropbox (which is also accessible from my New Laptop).
    2. Download and install H&B 2016 to New Laptop because this version is supposed to be compatible with Win10 (it was released after Win 10 unlike H&B2015).
    3. Restore DATA files from Dropbox to New Laptop and see how things look and work.
    Hoping that this way, if the New Laptop H&B 2016 install doesn't work well, I could still operate with my Old Laptop on H&B 2015.

I know if I was just upgrading from H&B2015 to H&B2016 on one computer then I would need to uninstall 2015 before it would let me install 2016 but I was hoping that by doing it the way described above, my H&B2015 on the Old Laptop would function independently of what I try to get working on my New Laptop.  Thereby not risking loosing what works currently. 

What do you think, is this possible?

Cheers
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Two points, Astro

1.  You've correctly recognised that you have a  fallback position, and you have 2015 revision software AND more important, the DATA to go with it.    SO, yes, your approach of testing has good merit, and you have a fallback position to start over on the NEW laptop, if matters go pear shaped.  ( *** So long as you can re-enter all the same data back into the OLD laptop, that is).

2.  But your comment about the 2016 H&B and WIn10 compatibility.  Be aware of issues presently outlined on numerous articles on this forum, about inability to download currency, and with some people, even stock figures.    I just want you to be aware of issues before you discover them alone.   Some of these are in the closing stages of being corrected,  but from a day-to-day business point of view,  unless there is some application feature that your business really needs, then until new versions settle down, I can't understand why users want to jump in when the version they have is doing the job, and there are outstanding issues with the next version.

The LOGISTICS issue you have,  is detailing any entries you make to the new laptop/2016  that may need to be re-entered on the old laptop/2015 by should you discover that you need to back-track on all this, depending on the features of H&B that your are dependent upon and use.

So, can you share with us the 'business' reasons why you are so keen to jump forwards, when what you have is working (on the old laptop).   I'm always open to fresh input on these arguments.

Gary
  • Astro
    edited February 2016
    Hi Gary

Installing H&B2016 to my new Laptop went quite smoothly and so did the restoration of my data from my Dropbox.  Share price downloads appear to working fine as do my reports.  I don't normally email things from H&B so haven't tried that or foreign currency stuff.  Installed CutePDF so that I could save reports as PDF, works fine and I finally got the scanner on my old printer functioning okay too so have also been able to scan receipts. 

The only minor issue I have noticed is if I try to look at document, an invoice for example, in print preview, it shows a tiny copy on a huge page (hard to read because of the size).  Strangely though, when I actually print it out, it prints perfectly.  So I can live with that, it may actually be an issue with the resolution on my laptop itself.

As for your questions regarding my reasons for choosing to upgrade from things that where working - My Old Laptop had started to present with hardware issues/failures that were not worth fixing any more on a 5 year old laptop.  The New Laptop came with Windows 10 so it seemed reasonable to try the latest version of H&B that was shown as compatible.  I also was (perhaps wrongly) under the impression that  when my annual subscription is next due, I would need the latest version anyway.

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers, Astro