i have quickbooks 2012-2013 and in preference send forms there is suddenly no email option so i can't send invoices...help please

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
windows 7
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 4 years ago

Jason

1.  What operating system are you  running?
2.  Are you running Reckon locally from your PC,.  or a remote session to a server?
3.  Does the PC you are on (or the server you are remotely accessing) have an email program like Outlook?

4.  What has changed recently?   IE:  you mentioned 'Suddenly no email option".....

Have you noticed this within minutes, days, or what?  And have you just changed any part of your systems (ie: just upgraded to new versions or something?).

What is unclear from your question is whether something has just broken, or some related program become unavailable, or whether you are running a new environment versus the  last time it worked nicely.

Gary
Photo of Jason

Jason

it is windows 7 and it is reckon accounting 2012-2013 running through my laptop. I have been using a Hotmail email to successfully send my invoices and have had no issues. with most customers taking a month to settle I believe I have had this issue for about 5 weeks without noticing. I have tried sending an invoice to my own email and nothing gets delivered. When I go into edit, preferences, send forms, my preferences there is no 'send email using' option so does this mean that with outlook 11 having been downloaded via windows updates that I have lost the option to email? 
Jason

Back up a moment.....   We're trying to understand the underlying system structure environment you have,  and you mentioned in a little clue at the tail end about 'downloading outlook 11'....

Have you just installed a new EMAIL PROGRAM (ie: Outlook 2011?)

What was the previous email PROGRAM you were running?
(which I assume was tricked up to link to your hotmail email ACCOUNT).

Reckon Accounting programs need to know about email PROGRAMS in use,  so that they talk to each other.  It is possible that you Reckon program is still looking for a previous email PROGRAM.

Notice my emphasis on PROGRAM versus ACCOUNT in this dialogue.

Gary
Photo of Jason

Jason

I haven't deliberately downloaded another email account, I have a Hotmail account which as I pointed out has worked fine. I haven't changed anything that I know about, windows updates happen automatically but I haven't elected to change my email account, the default email program still shows it as Hotmail. so if you are saying reckon is looking for an email program how do I determine which one so I confirm it is still Hotmail?

Jason

I'm not making my self clear, sorry.   You mentioned that you downloaded 'outlook 11' - is that right?  That is a PROGRAM.   

We're talking three aspects of things here.

a) the PROGRAM version of Reckon ACCOUNTS that you are running

b) the PROGRAM NAME and VERSION of your EMAIL PROGRAM you are using (and were using)

c) the EMAIL ACCOUNT that you link your email PROGRAM to use.

I'm just concerned you may have had say Outlook 2007 edition, as a PROGRAM,  (or some version prior to what you are calling '11'), and then upgraded to another version of the PROGRAM.

just to try and clarify all this, an email PROGRAM is only a program,  You then tailor that program in the case of one that deals with email)( to configure it to use an email ACCOUNT.  IN your case you use Hotmail.  Some people use Google gmail, some have an account with Bigpond, others, say Optusnet ... the list goes on.  That is an ACCOUNT you use within your email PROGRAM.

Totally separate to all that,  is a relationship between the PROGRAM that RECKON ACCOUNTS expects to find and use for sending an email (through such other PROGRAM),  and in turn that PROGRAM will arrange the email to use the ACCOUNT (ie: hotmail)

So let's just establish what PROGRAM was in place and running 5 weeks ago when everything was working,  and then compare that to what you have on your PC today.
(the answer we're looking for is not whether you have an account with hotmail - but what PROGRAMS you use for email)

If that 'relationship' between the Reckon PROGRAM and the EMAIL program has been adjusted (whether it be by way of an unnoticed automatic Microsoft update overnight perhaps....  that's just WHEN it happened.,  But let's establish whether this is relevant ofr not, and if it actually happened.

Otherwise we need to be exploring other aspects of why the PREFERENCE setting is no longer active for you.

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of Jason

Jason

sorry Gary but I only use my laptop for the accounts so trying to establish what was in place 5 weeks ago is a non starter I'm afraid, I would believe it would have been outlook 7 or 8, the windows downloads are automatic so I click and don't really take much notice.

I am using the small business edition 2012-13

with Hotmail I noticed this recent posting, it might have something to do with the problems?

Photo of Jason

Jason

Attention Hotmail customers: your email account has been upgraded from Hotmail to Outlook.com as part of a plan to improve email for all Hotmail customers
Jason

Tell me the name of the PROGRAM you use for sending email.  Start ithat program and use the HELP menu to choose "About...."  to see the infoirmation about the author of the program.  

IE: Is it Microsoft Outlook 20XX for instance?  Let me know the XX   year.

Gary
Photo of Jason

Jason

I clicked Help, nothing about authors only developers which read

Outlook APIBuild apps for Outlook, Outlook.com, and Office 365 users with one set of APIs.For Windows, iOS, Android, NodeJS, Ruby and more.Connect(); //2015

is this of any use?

what is obvious to you because you deal with this all the time sadly isn't obvious to me so hopefully the info I've just supplied is what you wanted

Jason

I'm really lost by your response.  Ring me on 0408994799 so we can get to a starting point on this for you.  After a page of forum discussion trying to work out why your email is failing we still don't know what email program you are actually using.

Gary
(Edited)
Jason

Thanks for ringing me, and we seem to have found the missing piece of the jigsaw.

1.  It turns out you do have a program:  Outlook 2010.  (under Windows 7)
2.  You've discovered all your invoices (as emails) were queued up in the OUTBOX
     (ie; prepared by Reckon Accounts, and passed over to Outlook 2010, but queued)
3.  BUT you can't send these emails from the OUTBOX queue to the SENT (completed) box.
4.  Meantime,  you've now realised the subtle difference between what Microsoft INTERNET EXPLORER (as a Browser Program) is,  versis the use of such a program to BROWSE to some website where you can find information (which just might be your email at Mr Hotmail).

The clue probably rests with your discovery that Mr Hotmail has changed his psition in the world.  They've migrated to a new service,  and your OUTLOOK program has not been set to utilise that new service - HENCE why the emails have nowhere to go.    Emails going to your customers,  travel via your own internet EMAIL ACCOUNT service on the way (ie: your email account at Mr Hotmail) and from there out to the client.    If your service at Mr Hotmail has been changed, then your emails are not leaving  -- there's the problem.

I suggest the solution is to re-configure OUTLOOK 2010 for the new settings needed to accommodate what Hotmail advised you regards:

"....Attention Hotmail customers: your email account has been upgraded from Hotmail to Outlook.com as part of a plan to improve email for all Hotmail customers....."

Gary Pope
m: 0408994799 
An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
     independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
Photo of Lin Lin

Lin Lin

• 60 Points
Hi Gary, I have quickbooks 2012-13 with the issue about email the invoices and statements too. I can't find the email option in the Send Forms of Preference in Edit. I have the latest outlook 2016 and windows 10 operating system. Could you help me please? Lin
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Lin Lin,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.  

Your QuickBooks 2012-13 is not compatible with either Outlook 2016 or Windows 10.  You could try the suggestions in this thread, and our note on Windows 10. but I do not think emailing will work for you.  

You would be better rolling back to your earlier version of Outlook and Windows or better still, upgrade to the latest version (Reckon Accounts Business 2016) which is fully compatible with Outlook 2016 and Windows 10.

regards,
John.