I have tried to convert my qif file but I keep getting a message "you do not have permission to access \\Client\c$

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Peter, so Community members are able to look into this, can you advise what format your are trying to change the Qif too? Have you tried to save with the Client column removed? Thanks, Mirko
Photo of Peter

Peter

I am converting the qif file to a qbo file for banking, but I cant access my c:drive because I don't have permission to access it. I can see the file and access in windows. The conversion works fine on my laptop.
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

Nathan Elcoate, Accredited Partner

• 7,290 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Peter, You may have to upload the QIF file to your Q drive and then import it and convert it from there.
Photo of Peter

Peter

Thanks for your reply. I cant see how to copy the file to the Q drive. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

Hi Peter,

Sorry it's actually easier than that. Here is what I just tested and it works.

Save the QIF file to your computer, let's say your computer is called Peter and the file is at c:\Temp on Peter.

In Reckon Hosted, go to File - Utilities - Import - Bank File

Browse in the top box and when you have the list of drives and folders, navigate down to PETER Local C Drive, then navigate to Temp and you will see the bank file.

Click to select the bank file, you will then be returned to Reckon. Next it will ask you where to save the file.

In this section select the Q Drive, which will be named per your User ID.

Once on your Q Drive, if you want to, you can create a new Folder and call it bank files for example.

Select anywhere on your Q drive (if you don't have a specific folder) and click OK.

Next (refer my image) your import should look something like the attached image.

Next select the bank account and OK.

Regards

Nathan
(Edited)
Photo of Peter

Peter

Thanks, I cant access the C: drive in the first place to convert it. I think I may have a windows security issue. I'm not that concerned at the moment except for a little inconvenience because I can use my laptop instead of my i7 with 2 monitors. When I find the answer I will post. 
Photo of Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant

Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant, Accredited Partner

• 13,102 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Hi Peter,

The security issue from memory is when you login for the first time a permission box appears asking if you give permission to talk to your computer, however it seems you have said no.

I'm not sure how you can get that message back to say yes!

You could take a copy of your QIF file, then when you get to the import stage as Nathan mentioned and browse to a folder for bank files on your Q drive, if you click in the empty space you can press CTRL + V and it will paste.

However you can't cut & paste with Premium - you will need to temporarily login as Standard. Which is when you may also get the popup message about permissions?

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh

sally@samsolutions.com.au

Photo of Nathan Elcoate

That could be true, Sally. The permission questions stems just from the Citrix Receiver, so it might be worth trying in Standard, however Peter, you could also be trying to access the server C drive, whereas your own C drive is right down the bottom of the drive list... check that maybe?
Photo of Peter

Peter

Hi, Standard didn't work either. I am using the c: drive at the bottom, have tried the network drives and even a usb drive, still no luck.
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

Hi Peter it seems that something is really mucked up there with your local drive access, which as Sally has pointed out, might have been a case of saying No to an access question that pops up the first time you try this exercise.

In any case, for now, let's try the copy and paste method. You will need to be logged in as Standard. Then open Windows Explorer on your local PC so you can see your QIF File.

Open up Reckon Hosted as Standard, then go and open up your File - Import - Banking File process and hit browse on the top button to open a browse box and instead of browsing to your C drive, browse to your Q Drive - but don't go into any other folders.

Use the small New Folder icon shown in the below diagram:

Create a new folder called Banking Files, once created, click to go into that folder.

Now, ALT-TAB or switch over to your local PC where you have Windows Explorer open and right click on your QIF File and choose copy.

ALT-TAB or switch back to Hosted where it should still be sitting at a blank Q:\Banking Folders drive... now click in the folder then use CTRL-V to paste the QIF file in there. You can't right click so you have to use CTRL-V.

The QIF File should now be visible and selectable from your Q Drive.

Now in the Saved Converted File As box, browse also to Q Drive\ Banking Files, select your bank account and you should be away.

Copy/Paste does work in Premium but it's somewhat trickier and as you have access issues, please try the standard Copy Paste method above and see how you go.

Then maybe support can have a look at why you can't access your local C drive, as that would be much easier in all honesty.

Regards

Nathan
Photo of Peter

Peter

Thanks so much that did work. I will changing to bankdata shortly so this may not be an issue for much longer.
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

No worries, yes correct, BankData will load the QIF file for you.
Photo of Nathan Elcoate

The copy paste method works to and from the server, to and from your local PC, for backup files, etc.. too. It's a great method to easily work with files between your local machine and the server.

Have a great day.