Import bank statement function won't complete process

Carrie_7009426
Carrie_7009426 Member Posts: 67
We are running Accounts Premier Manufacturing and Wholesale edition.  I download transactions from Commonwealth Bank, same them as a QIF file and then import them using the "Import Bank Statement" function in the Banking Menu. 

Occasionally, when I complete the first screen by selecting the QIF file to convert and then selecting the account into which I want to import the data,  Reckon opens notepad and displays the text of the data I am trying to import.  I cannot get any further along with the import.  I repeat a few times, with the same result, and I then end up leaving it until the next day when it usually goes through the entire process correctly.

This is somewhat frustrating,  does anyone have an explanation/solution?

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Carrie,

Thanks for asking the Reckon Community again.

Check the default programme to open qif/qbo files - you need this set to open with your version of Reckon Accounts.  It is probably set to open with Notepad.

Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program;
    scroll down to .qbo and highlight it
    (See the associated opening programme in the current Default column)
    click on Change Program
    click Browse
    navigate to your installation directory.  Default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Reckon Accounts 2015\
    select the programme:  qbw32,exe
    OK.
    see that Current Default is now Reckon Accounts.
    Close.

Now try again.  

Hope this does it.

regards,
    John

• Carrie_7009426
    Carrie_7009426 Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2019
    Hi John,  Thankyou for your quick reply.  You were correct, the default program was set to Notepad.  I changed it and have now successfully imported the bank statement.  While I hope this fixes it for the future, it does not explain why it was only an intermittent problem.

Thanks again.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Carrie,

Glad you are importing transactions again.

The problem occurred because the default programme to open .qbo files was changed.

This may have happened if someone viewed the contents of a qbo file and chose Notepad from this screen:

If the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file checkbox is ticked then Notepad has become the default opening programme.  

Hope this explains how the wrong programme got associated with the file.

regards,
    John.