Importing Chart of Accounts once file already in use

Options
Katie_10143335
Katie_10143335 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2020 in Accounts Hosted
We have changed business structure and after 2 months of creating new invoices we are now attempting to 'write cheques'  to reconcile our accounts. The chart of accounts was the one automatically selected by quickbooks and not appropriate for our needs. We are unable to import the .iif file as it errors at line 5 and says 'the accounts type cannot be changed'. I understand this is because there is an existing chart of accounts in place. Can anyone recommend a way around this? I really don't have time to re-enter the two months worth of invoicing. I have called quickbooks support who have suggested there is no other way but I also believe they couldn't understand my problem.

Thanks!

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you look at the file you are trying to import and count down to line 5 - this will tell you the name of the account that is trying to be imported... then look at the chart in the file - and probably the same name is being used but for a different type of account?  rename the one in the Reckon file then try importing again... if you get further errors - open to the line number that you get the error on and repeat... Once you have your old chart in the file - go through and delete all the accounts that you dont want to use (or make inactive)...  then if you have been creating invoices for items that are not linked where you want them to be - you can edit those items - select the accounts you do now have in your chart that you want them linked to - and the transactions will update themselves.
  • Katie_10143335
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You truly are a champion. I'm guessing this will be a big job but I'm on it! Thanks Linda!!

• Jacqui Allen
    Jacqui Allen Member Posts: 238 ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You might want to check account number also if applicable, export the current accounts and compare to the newly created list.
  • Katie_10143335
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Linda, I seem to be getting an error line that doesn't line up with my Chart of Accounts. It says line 5 but the line 5 item has been changed and it still says line 5! Should I perhaps prefix all accounts with a 'new' until I get it imported?

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The quickest would be to delete the line 5 from the import - and manually enter that one?