Importing iif file for invoices, class field is not working

Melissa Read
Melissa Read Member Posts: 5
We have begun using 3rd party software to produce our invoices, and then import the invoices into Reckon (we are on the 2018 desktop version) by way of an IIF file. This is working fine with the exception of the Class field. We use class tracking to report on our separate branches, and although the Class field appears in the IIF file it doesn't come through on the invoices in Reckon. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Melissa Read
    edited September 2018

That's not very helpful. The class field is there in the IIF file, I can't see any reason it's not working. We have sorted all the other issues with the GST and getting the invoices to go on to jobs etc, so we know what we are doing and have checked that the names of the classes are exactly the same at both ends - I'm more wondering if it's a known fault in Reckon that the class is not coming through?
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Hi Melissa - where in the IIF file does the Class appear - is it just on the TRNS lines or the SPL lines as well?  For you to get the reporting it sounds like you use, you would need to ensure that its repeated on all the SPL lines?  Cheers Linda
  • Melissa Read
    edited September 2018
    Hi Linda,

Thanks for your advice - a copy of a sample file for just a single invoice is attached, the Class is in both lines, so I'm just not sure why it's not working :-(

?image
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited September 2018
    Hi Melissa,

The example above works on a Reckon Accounts 2017 AU software.

1. Click on the menu Edit | Preferences
    2. Go to Accounting section
    3. Go to Company Preferences tab
    4. Check if  'Use class tracking' is enabled.

Regards,

Data Recovery Team

• Linda ABC
    edited September 2018
    I know this sounds weird - but I have come across it before - after checking the class settings in Preferences (which I assumed would already be there if you were using Class tracking before you got the third party import happening?)... but if you get one of the import files created by the third party - and then open it in Excel...  then look at how everything lines up - there have been times in my experience, where sometimes the header and/or detail column names in the first two lines - actually have a space in front of them?  when you have it open in Excel - click in those fields and check if there is a space in front of the word CLASS.... then do the same for the Class data in the SPL lines? 
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited September 2018
    Hi Michelle,

I've tested that scenario and Linda is correct.

Whilst the other fields are recognised, the CLASS field is ignored since it contains a space character directly after the 'tab' character delimiter.

Regards,

Data Recovery Team
  • Melissa Read
    edited November 2018
    We have spent hours on this issue, tried everything we can think of. There are no space characters in the file. We have used Reckon's own sample file to create a dummy import invoice, and it will create a whole new Class that shows up in the Class List, but for neither love nor money can I get the invoice to have the Class show up. So, for every invoice I import, I have to open the invoice and choose the Class from the dropdown on the invoice screen. I really can't see that it is the iif file at fault - it seems to me that the Reckon invoice is not importing that field. Class tracking is definitely turned on, we've been using it for years. Is there some other setting that needs tweaked???

This is the file that created a new Class called "D", but the Class on the invoice was still blank...

• Linda ABC
    edited December 2018
    Hi Melissa - can you please check this?  with the file above - open it in Excel... go to Line 21 and 22....  click in the Cell that says CLASS - then click so your cursor is in the formula bar at the top.... now use the arrow keys to go left as far as you can.... I think you will find there is a space to the left or the word CLASS?