Importing General Journal IIF file - problem with GST

Lisa Moulden
Lisa Moulden Member Posts: 6
edited July 2019 in Accounts Hosted
Hello,
I am trying to import a general journal entry into Quickbooks online for my daily sales figures and I keep getting an error that the transaction is not in balance.  The sum of the AMOUNT and TAXAMOUNT of the SPL lines do balance to zero.  If I remove the TAXAMOUNT and add it into the total sales AMOUNT I can then import the journal however my sales line does have GST so I would prefer to import the GST amount.  The header lines I am using are:
!TRNS TRNSID TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT MEMO CLASS AMOUNT TAXABLE DOCNUM
!SPL SPLID TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT MEMO CLASS AMOUNT TAXABLE TAXCODE TAXAMOUNT DOCNUM
!ENDTRNS

It appears to not be recognising the TAXCODE header and the TAXAMOUNT header.  Are these the correct headings to be used for a sales tax amount?  The tax code I was then using was GST.  

Thanks for your assistance.
Lisa

Comments

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Lisa

In the TRNS line, the amount in the gross amount of the transaction, and is usually a Debit to Accounts Receivable or the Bank Account.

In the SPL Line, the amounts are credits and are negative.  The AMOUNT is the net of GST amount, and the TAXAMOUNT is the GST amount.

So for a $220 sale.

TRNS Line AMOUNT = 220
    SPL Line AMOUNT = -200
    SPL Line TAXAMOUNT = -20

Also, on SPL line TAXCODE = GST and TAXABLE = Y

Sum of these 3 should equal zero (220 - 200 - 20)

I suspect you may be missing the minus sign, 

If it still doesn't work, send me the iif and I'll cast an eye over it.

Graham Boast
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Donna_3713670
    Donna_3713670 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2014
    Hi Graham

I have a similar problem.  I can get the general journal into Reckon Accounts 2014 but I can't get it to enter the Taxcode.  I want the taxcode to be FRE because childcare is GST free and needs to be reported on BAS.

my data looks like this:
    !TRNS TRNSID TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT NAME AMOUNT TAXABLE DOCNUM !SPL SPLID TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT NAME MEMO AMOUNT TAXABLE TAXCODE TAXAMOUNT DOCNUM
    !ENDTRNS
    TRNS 20140824-1 GENERAL JOURNAL 08/24/2014 ANZ Centre Cheque 650 ANZ001
    SPL 20140824-1 GENERAL JOURNAL 08/24/2014 Centre Parent Fees Parent Fees Centre Test transaction -650 Y FRE 0 ANZ001
    ENDTRNS 

This is what I end up with - everything I want except for the tax item.  I also tried this with $20 GST.

thanks in advance.

Donna
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Donna 

I think I tweaked this with Lisa via email.  Here is a transaction that will work for you:

!TRNS TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT NAME AMOUNT DOCNUM MEMO ISAJE
    !SPL TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT NAME AMOUNT DOCNUM MEMO TAXABLE VALADJ TAXAMOUNT TAXITEM
    !ENDTRNS
    TRNS GENERAL JOURNAL 8/24/2014 ANZ Centre Cheque 650 ANZ001 Y
    SPL GENERAL JOURNAL 8/24/2014 Centre Parent Fees Parent Fees Centre -650 20140824-1 N N 0 FRE
    ENDTRNS

Graham Boast
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    www.reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm

• Donna_3713670
    Donna_3713670 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Graham

It's still not working

I had to add SPLID to the second line and 1 the 5th lines or else I got the message "Can't remove the ID from the split definition in the middle of the import filte"

After I changed and imported the transaction I get the message "Your data has been imported" but there isn't an entry anywhere in Accounts 2014 that matches any of the information I have entered.

Here is my import file.

I really appreciate your help because the documentation seems to be out of date or inaccurate.
  • cosmic
    cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    We have an automated tool, which will export in one go and in bulk , export all your sales, in to Reckon Accounts, from any outside sales, (provided we can get in csv format) ,and even create individual cash receipts sales, or tax invoices or if need  in journal form. and nominate any bank a/cs etc. iif files does have its issues, as also discussed by Intuit partners and developers in US

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009

• Graham Boast
    edited December 2017
    Hi Donna

Can you email me the file.  The SPLID isn't needed as it will autogenerate. When I have your email I can also email you my file which imports ok.

Graham
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Amer Sbiei
    Amer Sbiei Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Hi Graham,

I am importing a General Journal to quickbooks the problem that I am facing is that after the import is completed all of the info. are smoothly imported except the Name Field it is always empty.

The entry basically is to link COGS to specfic job names. 

Do you have any idea how can I solve it?

Thanks in Advance
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    You've shifted the values to the right which is why it is invalid.

Row 2, Column B, should have "TRNSTYPE" instead of "SPLID".
    Row 5, Column B, should have "GENERAL JOURNAL" instead of the number "1".

* Data Recovery Team *