INCORRECT DATE POSTED TO GOVCONNECT IN UPDATE EVENT

Christine Haimes
Christine Haimes Member Posts: 3
edited June 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi team,Our business Software is Reckon Accounts Premier Ed. 2018
 I've successfully submitted my Final Event to Gov Connect. However, I needed to make adjustments to one of our employees pays, so I sent an update event with only that employee details. There is now an Error message sent from ATO because the date posted over in 'Employee Payments' is the present date that the file was made and therefore in the incorrect payroll year.
Can someone please let me know how to amend these dates to the 2018/19 payroll year.
TIA.
Christine.

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Sorry Christine - a bit confused about where this date is that you say is the present date?  are you talking about the .json file?  or a pay itself?  when you say you had to make adjustments - did you just edit one of the previous pays?  but then you would need to upload the YTD/final pay for that employee, ie their last pay of the year with the correct YTD totals?
  • Christine Haimes
    Christine Haimes Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2019
    Hi Linda,
    Thanks for your reply.
    The incorrect date was in the.json file uploaded to GovConnect. In Reckon file the dates are correct.
    I only adjusted one of our employees pays as I had to fix ETP location on Payment Summary.
    I uploaded then to GovConnect as an Update Event and got this message:
    'The period start date must be within the same financial year as the Pay/Update Date'.
    This Amended file was sent after I had sent the Final pay Event for all Employees.

I can see that the date in this file in Gov Connect is 5/07/19 , and don't understand why when it is right in Reckon file.
    When I tried to send this as a 'Final Event' ATO showed another Error message.
    'instance.PayrollEvent.PayrollDetail additionalProperty 'Total Gross' exists in instance when not allowed,
    instance.PayrollEvent.PayrollDetail additionalProperty 'TotalPAYG' exists in instance when not allowed'.

Any help is appreciated.
    Christine.

• Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
    So in the Reckon file - you have changed a pay whose payment date in Reckon is pre 30th June?  and so now you want to upload an updated final pay event for that person?  Looking at this page of Reckon help https://help.reckon.com/reckon-accounts/payroll/single-touch-payroll/update-event I think that you need to choose Update Event instead of Final Pay Event?  and I found the below on the ATO website so think Update Event is correct?  Hopefully Rav can confirm for you?
  • Sharni R
    Sharni R Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2019
    Hi Christine and Linda.

We have the same problem whereby the date the Update Event json file was uploaded to Govconnect (4.7.19) has been used by govconnect rather than the actual pay event date in Reckon (24.6.19) that was uploaded. The result is that govconnect categorises it as an error as it takes the event as happening in 2019-20 rather than the same financial year as the already uploaded data (2018-19),

We are not able to correct the EOY amount for the employee involved. We also cannot finalise the year for the rest of our employees unless we remove the Update Event.

Can you please advise how to ensure that the Update Event date when recognised by govconnect is the pay event in 2018-19 and not for the next financial year.

Thanks
    Sharni
  • Linda ABC
    edited June 2020
    Hi Sharni...first would be to edit this .json file and find the incorrect date, fix it, save it and upload again...?
  • Sharni R
    edited June 2020
    Hi Linda,

The json data date for the Update Event is picked up from the selected payrun date (at the top of the STP Lodgements page) and the json file 'name' is the same date for clarity our end. THere is no other place for front end to access/change dates.The problem does not seem to be from this area but from some action in the background when uploading, and date of uploading - rather that the event date - is being sent to govconnect as the Update Event date.
  • Linda ABC
    edited July 2019
    Hi Sharni - understand all that - but if you could humour me while we try to find a solution for you? - can you go to where you saved the .json file - then right click on it and choose Open or Edit - if asked for a program to open with - choose Notepad... when its open - go to Edit, then Find - and type in PayDate - when it comes to that date - is that date in the last financial year or this financial year?
  • Sharni R
    edited July 2019
    Hi Linda
    I have done as you suggested, and the PayDate is last financial year ie. the correct date of the pay-run/Update Event.

I managed to get onto the Reckon Support last night and get it all sorted out. They suggested to by-pass lodging the Update Event and instead we ran a test finalisation process for the year to check EOY amounts and it picked up the corrected EOY amounts without the need for lodging the Update Event. The finalisation has now been successfully submitted without the UE being lodged.

Thanks for your assistance, I think there may currently be a glitch in the system  for lodging in this FY any Update Event relating to the prior FY even though the file hadn't been finalised. Thankfully the finalisation process worked without the need for the individual UE being lodged. I'm sure they will have these 'kinks' worked out before next year.

• Linda ABC
    edited July 2019
    Great- thanks for the upate and explanation - will help others too!  :)
  • Dion Harrison
    Dion Harrison Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2019
    I'd like to know how to do this extacly, as I'm having the same problem
  • Rhodes Biloela Pty Ltd
    Rhodes Biloela Pty Ltd Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2019
    Hi, I have this same problem and error message and I truly do not understand. I read through all the comments here and I must be daft as a brick house because I do not understand where this error is. 

I have checked all the payslips again and they all have the correct dates, the upload date in the portal is 26 June as it should be. Is there some place else I need to look for these incorrect dates? 

I tried calling Reckon their call centre is at capacity and the recording says to check the community here. 

Thank you.
  • Diane_9669998
    Diane_9669998 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2019
    I had this problem and corrected it myself as I could not work out their instructions nor get in contact with anyone. I had ticked "update event" and 'Final pay event" but got your error twice. Change the file name of the file you need to lodge to something different so you can distinguish it .What I did was open this file (the one automatically created in STP in Reckon .json), right click and choose  notebook **but wordpad would have been easier ** choose "EDIT" and manually changed the start period date and end period date which had defaulted to the date I updated the file - 8.7.2019. This date is what caused the problem. Anywhere this date appeared I changed- all 42 of these dates to 25.6.2019 the date of my end  of year file.
    When I completed this, it asked if I wanted to save the file and replace it. I clicked yes, then lodged to ATO and it worked. The "update event" date is what creates the problem as it is in the next year. Di
  • Rhodes Biloela Pty Ltd
    Rhodes Biloela Pty Ltd Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Diane, 

This worked for me. WHAT A PAIN!! thank you for sharing your wisdom. I wholly appreciate it. 
    Thank you :)
  • Dion Harrison
    Dion Harrison Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2019
    Yes, thanks so much Diane. I sincerely hope Reckon reaches out to you with a ‘reward’ for your help ;). You are a gem!