Internet Speed and Reckon Internet Speed Test

Options
MM_7769277
MM_7769277 Member Posts: 115
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Could somebody please help me interpret my internet speed test below?

I've been running the Reckon internet speed test for at least the last five minutes and nothing is happening.

Is it my computer or my internet connection??

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I'm on a wireless broadband connection in Sydney's inner west.

imageimage

Comments

• MM_7769277
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Here's my ping test and my traceroute:

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,416 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi MM,

That speedtest isn't looking all that great unfortunately.

From the looks of that, I'd say your general browsing is quite show as well, is that correct?
    Have you restarted your PC and possibly your modem also as the first step?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• MM_7769277
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think we'll have to....

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,416 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    Options

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• MM_7769277
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks, unfortunately our IT guy charges like a wounded bull!
  • Barbara.Karl
    Barbara.Karl Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have also noticed a mark difference in by speeds and it is currently performing below average. Is this test a two way thing? How much weighting is given to our system versus Reckons??
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ah  this arithmetic issue again.  This fault has been logged a couple of times now.  Look at those results.  the upload took only 45 seconds, yet the download took 115 seconds.  

a) that is extraordinary being the that way round, when downloads are usually faster that uploads
    b)  UNLESS there is some download background task somewhere else on the local network or your PC that is taking all the download bandwidth away from you..  
    c)  And the REPORT SPEED is mis-quoted by a factor of 1000.  If it is uploading 8Mb (that's Mega bytes, not nits) then the answer should be a speed of 130kbps  (kilo bits per sec).

But the download speed is crhronically bad, but I suspect it is becuase of your LAN environment.   

Check our resarch tip on this matter:   

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/common-network-lan-environment-issues-solved-through-reck...

For details on that arithmetic issue see:
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-host-soooooo-slow-glitchy

Gary

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    After having seen so many people report this issue, I decided to do a test myself and see what the results are.  Being run at 10:30 pm may not be representative of what is happening during the day, but my test using www.speedtest.net show similar result  to what they normally tend to be.  This is what my results are:
    1.  Speedtest - download 12.67 Mbps  Upload 0.95 Mbps - interesting to note that over time, the upload speed has got faster by some 10-20%
    2.  Reckon Test - Download 5.37 Mbps  Upload speed 0.82kbps which should instead be reporting it as 0.82Mbps as Gary Pope has stated..
    What I find interesting is that the Reckon test shows a download speed of around half of what my actual line speed is, as reported by Speedtest, whereas the upload speed is not all that different. 
    Gary has written extensively on this subject and his explanations as to the reason for variances are well documented.

Without going back and reading Gary's articles, I would be confident that one of the things he has pointed out, is that the result will be influenced by where you are in relation to the telephone exchange to which you are connected.  In my case, I am relatively close - probably 1.5 kms by road, but potentially more if one was to follow the actual cable.  A friend of mine is some 4 kms from another exchange and this is regarded as being on the extemities of a good connection.  His download speed is only around one fifth to one quarter of what I get, which goes to show just how dramatic the variance can be because of distance.  When he was first connected, his speed was pathetic, to say the least.  We contacted the service provider who gave us certain information about the line and what should be expected.  The next step was to find out what was really wrong with the line.  It was found that there was a water problem with the outside connection, which when fixed, made a significant difference.
    As Gary pointed out, when one sees an upload speed which is better than a download speed, when typically, in my experience, the download is some 12 times faster that the upload, the user has a very serious issue to contend with.
    In another instance, another user connected to the same exchange as the one to which my friend was connect, but who was only some 2 kms away, had very serious troubles with very slow speeds and frequent drop outs.  A call to Telstra, who came and checked the line, found that the line connections were badly corroded and the pit outside the building had water in it.  What a difference there was when that was corrected.
    Obviously modems can also influence the result, as I understand things.

MM.  If your non Reckon results are continuing to be as poor as you reported, and you are within a reasonable distance to the exchange, it could be very worthwhile contacting your service provider who can run tests for you and give you some very important information about your line, location and perhaps even your modem. My personal experience in both of the above cases shows that to be very beneficial i.e. getting in touch with your service provider.  I also find that www.speedtest.net seems to give more consistent and plausible results than some other testing sites.

There is only one other thing that I can say to you.  If you go through the above steps and still have now joy, it might just be necessary to face the "wounded bull" rather than struggle with and curse the "slow snail or tortise".

An hour later, it occurred to me that it would be interesting to see the comparison between the results from speedtest.net and ozspeedtest.com.  The results are quite interesting:
    1.  Speedtest.net  Download 12.76 Mbps (it downloads a large file)
    2.  Ozspeedtest.com  Download - line speed 12.63 Mbps (almost identical) but it also reports a download speed of 1.58 MB/s (1579 KB/s)
    3  Speedteest.net  Upload 0.9 Mbps
    4  Ozspeedtest.com  kbps 718.7;  KB/s 89.94;  Mbps 0.72

The indication from the results of using two different tests sites are not all that different.
    John L G
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    PS:  some typos in my fast edit before.   the screen is meant to be 1300 kbps for that amount of data in bits  (not nits!!!)

Gaz
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I would also hasten to add that I don't always have such good download and upload speeds.  To use an example.  One morning within the past week, around 5:00 a.m. the internet was basically non existent for all devices - phones, ipads etc.  There could have been a problem at the exchange, or with bigpond.  To avoid continued frustration for an unknown amount of time, I decided to kill the modem completely by pulling out the power cable for at least 10 seconds.  When the modem eventually finished re-starting, after a couple of minutes, operations were back to normal.  Now what caused this glitch is unknown, but it highlights the fact that there can be any number of possible short term problems for which a reason is not readily discernable.  I have found that in such cases, killing the power to the modem for a short period of time, by pulling out the power cable, reinserting it to re-start the modem can work wonders.  By the way I am on ADSL2.

It is also interesting to note that my download speed in particular is some 10% or so quicker than it was a couple of months ago.

For you MM, it shouldn't require your IT person to come on site to re-start your modem.  You should be able to easily do that by yourself, I would think.  Gary may have other ideas though because he is far more an expert in these areas than I am.

The other thing that we have to contend with is the slowness of some sites.  To me it seems somewhat extraordinary that some of the slowest sites that I visit are Telstra and Bigpond.

John L G
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    John - you are spot on with that modem re-power idea.  IN fact leaving the modem OFF for say 15 minutes (overkill, is ideal,. This is particularly the case for anyone on CABLE internet, but it is also true for ADSL1, ADSL2 and ADSL2+.

Leaving if OFF for those minutes,  allows the local telephone exchange to forget you were a user.  

Then, when you power up the modem, a number of fresh things happen.
    1. The modem goes through its own internal self test  and initiation, which can include getting a fresh operation going, clearing out any upset from things like power spikes for instance, that can leave the memory of the modem in disarray.

2, Most important, the modem re-introduces itself to the local telephone exchange, making a fresh digital connection to the protocols and TCP/IP pathways that are going to be used NEXT...

3.  You then have a potentially different PATH to take. (ie the route by which your personal connection at your office, will travel up, through and out the back of the local exchange,).   The re-connection will try to establish the next best PATH for your requests to travel along.

The comment about reaching SLOW sites, may not be the target site being slow,  but it could be cross traffic and intervening traffic between your office and that target site.  This article explains.

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/common-internet-wan-environment-issues-solved-through-rec...

Gary

• JimboNZ
    JimboNZ Member Posts: 1
    Options

I don't have a slow fibre connection but the Reckon Accounts Hosted thinks I have a lot slower than I do!

• Rav
    Options

@JimboNZ

It looks like the Hosted speedtest results page is reporting the incorrect data label attribute, it looks to me like its reporting back in MB/s but showing the Mb/s label which isn't correct.

Taking that into consideration it looks like the results would be by and large correct with some variation which is to be expected. I'll see if I can get our Hosted team to take a look into the labels being reported back.