JobKeeper for Religious Practitioner .

Options
Margaret Lokmer
Margaret Lokmer Member Posts: 33
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Does anybody have any information on how to report religious practitioners using STP in Reckon for JobKeeper as they are now eligible. Any feedback welcome.

Comments

• Bruce
    Bruce Member Posts: 441 Professional Partner Professional Partner
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I haven't seen anything that is industry/occupation specific in anything to do with either STP or JobKeeper.   

As such, I don't see any reason why there should be anything special/different for religious practitioners - just treat them as you would any other client.
  • Margaret Lokmer
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thank you for your response. We are a religious organisation with both employees and religious practitioners. We report employees using STP. The ATO have now announced that JobKeeper is available for religious practitioners. We do not pay an income to the religious but they receive benefits in the way of accommodation, etc. The ATO have stated to report them via STP but I do not know how to do so.
  • Bruce
    Bruce Member Posts: 441 Professional Partner Professional Partner
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Margaret
    I am guessing a bit here and would suggest that you speak to the ATO again and run the following past them before you action anything.

I am assuming that:
    • the religious practitioners are to receive JobKeeper as "employees" rather than Eligible Business Participants.  (Rationale here is twofold: a) that you can only have one EBP per organisation b) ATO have told you to use STP.)
    • the special JobKeeper rules regarding religious practitioners continue to mean that you must pay them a minimum of $1500/fortnight.

On this basis:
    1. Set the RPs up as employees in Reckon (this does not mean that you have to pay them a salary).   
    2. Set up (and pay) the JobKeeper amount to the RPs.  (see https://help.reckon.com/article/red06g6gpu#Leave-Requirements for guidance on this)
    3. After each "pay", run and lodge your STP as you would for any other employees.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi Margaret.  Refer to this ATO webpage which is specific for religious practitioners, as this should help you:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/JobKeeper-payment---religious-practitioner-nomination-notice/
    John L G
  • John Graetz
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi Margaret.  Further to my answer, I add this.  If you are a Church related entity, your State/Commonwealth body should be able to help you.  If your entity is something like a College or similar, then you may need to seek alternative help.  Being such an organisation, I would be confident that your books are being audited annually, in which case you should be referring your question to your Auditors as they would surely be conversant with your particular situation or have the expertise to assist.  This is going to be particularly relevant in your case where your RPs are not being actually paid, but are receiving in kind benefits.  I would think it might be difficult in such situations to suddenly be paying them $1,500 which would be a complete top-up, when previously they were not receiving any cash.  Hence the reason that you need to speak to your Accountant/Auditor who should know how to proceed.
    John L G
  • Margaret Lokmer
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thank you for your time John. I have reached out to the ATO. I have also reached out to our accountants (and yes we are audited as you mentioned). As information is scant I decided to reach out to the Reckon Community also. As of late Friday there is a Zoom seminar for our organisation with respect to this so hopefully things will be answered then. Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.
  • John Graetz
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Margaret.  I only have involvement in this are for the RPs who are paid cash.  If you still cannot get what you are looking, give me a call on 0428695454 as I can give you details of an Accounting Firm who have experience in this area.
    John L G